#41 MistyAnn

MistyAnn

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • LocationArlington

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

Will anyone ever pay to watch a rematch of that again?

I

Love

Dallas

#42 nyc-cowboy

nyc-cowboy

• Moderators
  • 5,058 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:45 AM

Uh oh.  Did you bet on McGreggor?  Lol.  Again, a short fight would have benefited no one.  This was the best possible scenario for all involved.  Floyd gets his 50-0 record via knockout to boot, and another $100M to retire with.  McGreggor gets enough respect to possibly get another big money boxing match (Pacquiao?).  I'm not one to claim conspiracy but I bet they'll both have brunch together tomorrow laughing about all the money they robbed from the public.  The hype of them hating each other plus playing on the racial hatred of today was pre-fight emotional drama to get people to open their wallets.  I think it worked.

Just saw the replay - that was set-up - I dont care what anyone says.

Did May W throw any punches in the first 3 rounds (maybe a handful)  - what was this guy the second coming of Ali that he had to "study him" cmon man.

McG doesn't even know how to get into a proper stance or throw a proper punch.  

How this fight counted towards his record is ridiculous. 

Having said that - it would be just as bad if it was the other way around. 

• kskboys likes this

4441526995_3fc4a45b63.jpg

#43 nyc-cowboy

nyc-cowboy

• Moderators
  • 5,058 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:55 AM

Embarrassment for Boxong to allow McGregor to look that good. Mayweather would be in the hospital in less than a round in the octagon. Sad.

McG didn't look "that good" - MayW could have KOed him inside of minute if he wanted. 

Any boxing fan knew what a farce this was as soon as they saw McG in his stance. 

• kskboys likes this

#44 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,044 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

McG didn't look "that good" - MayW could have KOed him inside of minute if he wanted.

Any boxing fan knew what a farce this was as soon as they saw McG in his stance.

Then he should have. That is what he needed to do.

#45 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,044 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:23 PM

Uh oh. Did you bet on McGreggor? Lol. Again, a short fight would have benefited no one. This was the best possible scenario for all involved. Floyd gets his 50-0 record via knockout to boot, and another $100M to retire with. McGreggor gets enough respect to possibly get another big money boxing match (Pacquiao?). I'm not one to claim conspiracy but I bet they'll both have brunch together tomorrow laughing about all the money they robbed from the public. The hype of them hating each other plus playing on the racial hatred of today was pre-fight emotional drama to get people to open their wallets. I think it worked.

When has a fight served to benefit anyone? Most of the time they are a complete joke. So now they are scripting these things to actually entertain? I see you got your tinfoil hat fitted. Lol

#46 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,538 posts
  • LocationPJG Investigation Unit

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

One thing is clear. An MMA boxer can compete agianst the best ever in boxing. Mayweather should have embarrassed him but didn't. A fight in the octagon couldn't sell at this point. If Conor could hold his own for 10 rounds in boxing, Floyd has not shot at surviving any MMA rules.

At no point did I ever think McGregor could compete against a pro boxer. Not then and not now. Did you watch the fight? It took time for Mayweather to adjust to the aggressiveness, but it was sloppy and once he did it was over. That's how he has always fought. He's defensive and elusive and once he wears an opponent down he ends the fight. 50-0. 

McGregor did not hold his own. He was clearly outmatched. I think some fans assume it should happen in the 1st round.

• kskboys likes this

#47 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,538 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

Embarrassment for Boxong to allow McGregor to look that good. Mayweather would be in the hospital in less than a round in the octagon. Sad.

Yeah right, lol.

#48 bosd

bosd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

except one punch could land and put mayweather night night. The tennis player playing the ping pong player couldnt end it in one strike of the ball. I dont predict this stuff, because those people that talk like they know what they are talking about, always have Buster Douglass to show them they dont know jack squat, or the Giants beating the undefeated Pats in the SB, or Rocky knocking out the Russian:)  Everytime you hear how someone has zero chance of doing something, BAM, it happens  and all the "Experts," go running for cover.

One thing I didn't know about Buster Douglas was his mother passed away a few days before his fight with Tyson.  

As much as I was a huge Tyson fan, I may have been cheering for Douglas (a tad bit) if I had known that info.

Kaneh-Bosm

#49 nyc-cowboy

nyc-cowboy

• Moderators
  • 5,058 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

Then he should have. That is what he needed to do.

It was a show, thats what your not getting.  

Anyone who really follows boxing would tell you that, McG had no business being in that ring with that dude.

And the same thing would hold true in reverse if MayW got into fight using MMA rules. 

• bosd likes this

#50 uvaballa

uvaballa

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,240 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:32 PM

I would watch but I wouldn't pay. Floyd is an old man and I doubt he can hang with some of the younger boxers now. He shouldn't go out like Anderson Silva or Roy Jones Jr.

Connor should stay in the Octagon or really improve his cardio if he wants to box again. Anyone who fights him just has to wait until he tires out right now.
2r7n7m0.jpg

#51 cowboysfan1237

cowboysfan1237

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

First off, people expecting Mayweather to ko McGreggor in a few rounds must be crazy. Mayweather though a great boxer is NOT Mike Tyson, or Joe Louis, or Rocky Marciano.  He does not carry that type of power. He has not score a ko in over 3 years, and even a one arm Manny lasted the 12 rounds. McGreggor though not a boxer, show in MMA he can take a hit.

2, This fight did not prove which is better, Boxing or MMA, Mayweather has not fight in 2 years, and was 40, which is old in boxing, and McGreggor was 29 and in his prime. If this fight show me anything, it show me that it was time for Mayweather to hang it up. Had Floyd been in there with a top boxer he could of lost. He was missing shots and his timing was off. Not sure if it was age or rust, but I think its time for Mayweather to hang em up.

3, If a top boxer enters MMA and loses, or a top MMA fighter enters boxing and loses, does that even prove any thing? There different sports, Hell even boxing in itself is a different sport if you go back to past rules. 15 rounds, no neutral corner rule in the hay days of Jack Dempsey or no gloves and allow to thrown and wrestle in the prime of John L Sullivan. I expect Sullivan to beat the top boxers under HIS rule set, but put gloves and 12 rounds, and I don't expect the great John L to do as well as he did in the 1880's. Sullivan has more in common with McGreggor than most modern boxers.

• kskboys likes this

#52 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,044 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:48 PM

It was a show, thats what your not getting.

Anyone who really follows boxing would tell you that, McG had no business being in that ring with that dude.

And the same thing would hold true in reverse if MayW got into fight using MMA rules.

Oh Ok. Now I get it. It was WWE.
  • kskboys likes this

#53 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,538 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

One thing I didn't know about Buster Douglas was his mother passed away a few days before his fight with Tyson.  

As much as I was a huge Tyson fan, I may have been cheering for Douglas (a tad bit) if I had known that info.

Tyson also had the flu

That's actually the direction MMA seems to be going.

• kskboys likes this

#54 MarcusRock

MarcusRock

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:28 PM

With an MMA fight neither one would make half as much is the boxing match. The money was the motivating factor. Let Connor fight Canelo and he'll get embarrassed. He wasn't coming forward most of the fight like I thought the bigger guy would.
Floyd is making about $300M and Connor about $100M.

I thought I read Mayweather could get up to $200M, but $300M?  Dang.  $100M for McGreggor is excellent for him.

When has a fight served to benefit anyone? Most of the time they are a complete joke. So now they are scripting these things to actually entertain? I see you got your tinfoil hat fitted. Lol

You didn't answer my betting question, lol.  See the dollar figures above for the benefit.  That'll make anyone negotiate how things go.  McGreggor getting embarrassed quick effectively ends his dabbling in boxing.  Looking halfway decent keeps his boxing possibilities (and more moneymaking) alive.  If you're Mayweather, would you do McGreggor that solid if you're guaranteed to win the fight + $300M?  Hell, Mayweather might end up being McGreggor's trainer/promoter to keep himself in the spotlight, lol.

Think of it this way.  Mayweather hired the same scriptwriter Bob Kraft got for the last Super Bowl.  You make the vast majority of viewers who want the Patriots (Mayweather) to lose think they're going to get their wish, only to mount a furious comeback and crush their dreams at the end.  That compelling feeling of "almost had it" keeps people coming back, either for Mayweather to lose if he fights again or for McGreggor to be victorious in his boxing quest even if it's another opponent.  Ratings, heath.  It's all about the ratings.

Jason Garrett - Mr. Positivity --> NO, JUST NO!

(j/k)

k45i52tv4edotwl6g.jpg

Aaron Rodgers: The Sultan of Smug

kor86282w8tf93b6g.jpg

#55 nyc-cowboy

nyc-cowboy

• Moderators
  • 5,058 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:45 PM

Basically yes...

I just watched it again - wow its even worse the second time around,(youtube type in

The Phenomenal Fight: Mayweather vs McGregor - [FULL])

McG does't even know how to throw a punch. Look at his "jab"  his arm is extended most of the time and even when he throws his left, he has no power behind it - that comes from footwork - which he has none.

And I won't even get into his defense - which again he has none - there is a reason why boxers "bob and weave"  

• kskboys likes this

#56 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 43,696 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:47 PM

One thing is clear. An MMA boxer can compete agianst the best ever in boxing. Mayweather should have embarrassed him but didn't. A fight in the octagon couldn't sell at this point. If Conor could hold his own for 10 rounds in boxing, Floyd has not shot at surviving any MMA rules.

I don't think so.   Looking at the stats, the fight wasn't even remotely close.  

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#57 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 43,696 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

At no point did I ever think McGregor could compete against a pro boxer. Not then and not now. Did you watch the fight? It took time for Mayweather to adjust to the aggressiveness, but it was sloppy and once he did it was over. That's how he has always fought. He's defensive and elusive and once he wears an opponent down he ends the fight. 50-0. 

McGregor did not hold his own. He was clearly outmatched. I think some fans assume it should happen in the 1st round.

MayW creamed him.   It was never close and never in doubt.    IMO, those saying McG held his own are simply seeing what they want to see. 

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#58 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:33 PM

I watched the fight.  Conner came out with a head of steam and landed more shots on Mayweather than anyone in the last 10 years.  He had floyd off balance with a barage of jabs and angles Mayweather had never seen.   Conner won the first 3 rounds. Mayweather rarely ever loses a round . .........but Conner ran out of gas.  Most of his fights don't go past round 1 b/c MMA gloves have a lot less padding.  So,  he just knocks guys out.    The fact he lasted 10 rounds with Mayweather in his first ever pro boxing match is testament to the kind of athlete he is.  

Anyone disparaging Conner this morning didn't watch the fight or is simply a boxing apologist.  Mayweather wouldn't last 2 minutes in Conner's sport.   Heck,  even Mayweather gave Conner props.  The fact some of you douches can't says more about you than the fight.

#59 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:39 PM

It was the best show Mayweather has put on in 10 years.  He actually attacked.  He had too b/c Conner won 3 or 4 rounds.  Would anyone pay 100 bucks to watch a rematch?  Heck yeah.

Its a moot point since Mayweather is happy with a 50-0 record and his 300 million dollar pay day.  He's 40 and doesn't want to fight again.  

Now Floyd in a fight with MMA rules?   That would break the PPV box office record this one just set.   Who wouldn't pay to watch Floyd slammed to the canvas and choked out? 

#60 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:42 PM

He competed a lot more than Manny Pacquio........landed more punches.......won more rounds.....forced Floyd to fight.  Not sure how you watched that and concluded MacGregor didn't compete.  Thats insane and a very fringe opinion.

The only people embarrassed this morning are the Max Kellerman's of the world who got this fight completely wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users