#121 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,538 posts
  • LocationPJG Investigation Unit

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:43 PM

If you're looking for boxer that has exciting fights then you should be watching Deontay Wilder. Dude has dynamite for hands.

I like watching MMA but the last two or so years have been boring for me. Rousey was way over hyped and even had guys on here saying she could beat professional male boxers, Rampage gave it up, Silva fell off, Jones can't stay out of trouble are just a few of the reasons IMO.
I agree you have to be more well rounded to fight in MMA but guys can make the switch and be successful if they are trained.

I miss when Royce Gracie was running things.

#122 bosd

bosd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:15 PM

I miss when Royce Gracie was running things.

Wasn't that UFC 1 or 2?

We used to wonder before who would win Tyson vs Van Damme (all rules, boxing and kick boxing and karate), back in those days such a scenario would never materialise, but it is hard to tell until the fight happens and you have hindsight of strategies, and its hard to tell how long it would last.

How about Bolo

Kaneh-Bosm

#123 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,538 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:08 PM

Wasn't that UFC 1 or 2?

He won 3 out of the 1st 4, losing UFC 3. 

#124 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:12 AM

Pac was just there for the payday.  He was too Hollywood at that moment.

And his "shoulder" issue.  LOL what a joke.

And Conner was there for a reason other than money?  He had no incentive other than money.

• kskboys likes this

#125 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:05 AM

If you're looking for boxer that has exciting fights then you should be watching Deontay Wilder. Dude has dynamite for hands.

I like watching MMA but the last two or so years have been boring for me. Rousey was way over hyped and even had guys on here saying she could beat professional male boxers, Rampage gave it up, Silva fell off, Jones can't stay out of trouble are just a few of the reasons IMO.
I agree you have to be more well rounded to fight in MMA but guys can make the switch and be successful if they are trained.

The main issue with boxing is that there is no dominant organization or anyone making fights that fighters are compelled to accept. It is chaotic, corrupt, and hard to follow.    

Conner Mcgregor is the new PPV king with Mayweather retiring.  His MMA fights are outstanding and among the best i've ever seen.  I thought Jose Aldo was the most lethal P4P fighter on the planet until Conner knocked him out in 30 seconds.......after predicting that he would.  He studied Aldo,  found a weakness,  boasted about finding it, and then executed it. Who does that?  The dude is a badass and I was disappointed he agreed to the Mayweather boxing match b/c it didn't give him a chance to showcase his own greatness.   But,  he wanted FU money,   and he has it now.  He's got the UFC by the balls b/c he doesn't have to fight for their chunp change anymore.  Now,  they have to come to him if THEY want a big pay day.  He's really the first UFC fighter in a position of leverage.  He may open the door to UFC fighters getting paid a bigger piece of the pie than the UFC has allowed thus far.   That can't be good for boxing's future unflux of talent.  

Boxing has a glorious past.  I enjoyed watching Ali,  Sugar Ray Leonard,  Tyson,   Holyfield ect ,  but those guys are gone and Mayweather is pretty much the end of the line of boxing's great past.  You think people will one day talk about GGG in the same vain as those guys?  No way b/c he's not fighting in era known for its boxers.  They don't even televise boxing anymore at the Olympics which used to be the great feeder into the pro boxing ranks. Its where we first heard of Floyd Mayweather,  Riddick Bowe, Holyfield...........    Its just a fading sport and needs rescuing by a UFC type organization that can corral enough talent to make fights and introduce the public to these guys. 

#126 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,538 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:31 AM

I give McGregor credit, not only did he go into later rounds after he threw all of those punches but he had to essentially turn off his other MMA skills and techniques. 

This fight was entertaining but I hope this isn't a trend because they're just two different sports. 

This may propel McGregor because he didn't lose horribly, he did well. I want to see him fight Nate Diaz.

• atlantacowboy likes this

#127 uvaballa

uvaballa

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,240 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:33 PM

Damn https://www.mmamania...-mayweather-mma

Conor better stick to MMA so his brain doesn't take more of a beating. Good thing about MMA it's usually only a few shots to take a guy out instead of a ton of shots which can be worse.
2r7n7m0.jpg

#128 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

I give McGregor credit, not only did he go into later rounds after he threw all of those punches but he had to essentially turn off his other MMA skills and techniques. 

This fight was entertaining but I hope this isn't a trend because they're just two different sports. 

This may propel McGregor because he didn't lose horribly, he did well. I want to see him fight Nate Diaz.

Diaz wants 20-30 million to fight him again.  That would be the largest UFC pay day ever  given to a fighter.........and we haven't even talked about Conner's compensation.   The only way this MMA fight would work is for it to be an event of its own outside the UFC.  

What remains to be seen is how many new eyeballs Conner will bring to the table the next time he signs to fight.  

#129 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,538 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:40 PM

Diaz wants 20-30 million to fight him again.  That would be the largest UFC pay day ever  given to a fighter.........and we haven't even talked about Conner's compensation.   The only way this MMA fight would work is for it to be an event of its own outside the UFC.  

What remains to be seen is how many new eyeballs Conner will bring to the table the next time he signs to fight.  

It wouldn't surprise me if the next UFC fight McGregor fights in will be a huge purse, in fact I suspect it will happen within a year. After that, the buzz of him fighting Mayweather will have worn thin.

I just hope he stays in the UFC and not more boxing. I like both sports without the crossing over stuff.

#130 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:17 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if the next UFC fight McGregor fights in will be a huge purse, in fact I suspect it will happen within a year. After that, the buzz of him fighting Mayweather will have worn thin.

I just hope he stays in the UFC and not more boxing. I like both sports without the crossing over stuff.

I don't think many would pay to watch him box again.  I know I wouldn't.  His talent is in mixed martial arts.  In boxing,  he's an amateur.  

• kskboys likes this

#131 nyc-cowboy

nyc-cowboy

• Moderators
  • 5,058 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

I don't think many would pay to watch him box again.  I know I wouldn't.  His talent is in mixed martial arts.  In boxing,  he's an amateur.  

Thats exactly what some of us have been trying to tell you.  It was a con job. 

• kskboys likes this

4441526995_3fc4a45b63.jpg

#132 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

Thats exactly what some of us have been trying to tell you.  It was a con job. 

I never thought he had more than a lucky punch of a chance to beat Mayweather in a boxing match.  It was a money grab for both fighters.

• kskboys likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users