#61 ryanaustinh

ryanaustinh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

This is such an odd situation.  After reading up on him and everything as a draft pick I honestly am surprised that his personality and attitude would start a hold out.  I just wonder how receptive we would be of Zach if he were doing this.  He is the first player to do this since the new CBA(Bosa had a slight hiccup but the Chargers always do that).  If he is holding out now with what is a good 14-15 million in guarantees and he doesn't play a position that suffers many career ending injuries which the 5th year option protects against injury, so I can only imagine the mentality of Donald's representation.

The question is if you do pull that trigger, would he start playing week 2 or would we just inherit the same issue?  Are the Rams just denying him because they can or because his demands are too high?

They'd have to grant permission for any team to even delve into this area and if they are playing this much hardball, I think they'd just sit on him

#62 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,463 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:56 PM

So Martin is just a freaking gaurd? Martin is every bit the player that Donald is. Player for player it would be an even swap with no picks included.

No I still don't think Donald in the 3-4 is good long-term. Remember how Jay Ratlif's body just broke under that demand? I think Donald is smaller than Jay. I could be wrong though on if he's smaller or not. I just don't see the switch as a good move for Donalds future. Why put your team's best player in this posisition?

Yup, you're wrong.   Ratliff was 6-4/295.   Donald is 6-1/285.    Looking at their build, Donald is much bigger.   In the NFL, bigger when referring to size means bigger around.  

However, I do agree.    I don't think Donald would be best served in a 3-4.

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#63 TrojanHawk

TrojanHawk

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (Born in Dallas) Texas Stadium Ticket Holder

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

SO happy hold out over. No more Donald trades that would put us in hiatus

ajlqlks7fswz.jpg

#64 Cowboyway6

Cowboyway6

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:03 PM

Actually the end of his hold out may be a sign that he could be traded soon. Maybe if nothing gets worked out with the Rams,he gets traded by the deadline.. I've seen it so much. They guy is showing his "wares"  so to speak to prospective teams that might be willing to pull the trigger. Don't be shocked to see him traded before next weekends game. He's inactive this week to btw. Could be they dont wanna risk in injury. I would trade a 1st rounder and a conditional pick for him in a heart beat. He's worth it because he makes the entire D better for us. Donald is the type that you can move around. 

1826006,sXXt94kbkAOxQnR2NFu0eAOBojnI33_c Which S.O.B. took my Diablo Sandwich?

#65 Cowboyway6

Cowboyway6

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:06 PM

The Rams are in rebuild modeand he will be a bargaining chip for picks/players. Remember I said that. Fact is,anytime you have a rookie GM/HC like they do,change is comin because they want their guys. Donald will be a goner.  He's a good guy,its a shame.He would be what Haley was for us back in the day when we got him from San Fran.He basically propelled this team to all those SB'S. Donald does the same. 

1826006,sXXt94kbkAOxQnR2NFu0eAOBojnI33_c Which S.O.B. took my Diablo Sandwich?

#66 johnny23

johnny23

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:05 AM

Say we make the playoffs and get to the conference title game an improve a playoff round. I would be okay trading the 29th or 30th pick. And say a 3rd in 2019 for him with performance kicks say all pro he is a second in 2019.

#67 DanAn

DanAn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:12 PM

Aaron Donald is on 1.8m this year, 6.5m next year, then you can franchise tag him for 15.2m (probably a little higher by then). That's essentially 3-years 23.5m for a player that has a market value in the range of 22m a season. And then if he leaves you get a 3rd round compo pick. That's worth way more than a 1st round pick, it's probably worth multiple 1st round picks. 

#68 ryanaustinh

ryanaustinh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:10 PM

Aaron Donald is on 1.8m this year, 6.5m next year, then you can franchise tag him for 15.2m (probably a little higher by then). That's essentially 3-years 23.5m for a player that has a market value in the range of 22m a season. And then if he leaves you get a 3rd round compo pick. That's worth way more than a 1st round pick, it's probably worth multiple 1st round picks. 

I didn't realize his 5th year was so low, Zack's is 9 million and he was drafted 4-5 spots later.

That's probably the nexus of the problem and the reason he did hold out.

It's really a tough situation, Donald would be a great player to have but if you have to pony up a $20+ million per year deal right away that's where I would pause on trading the farm that would have to be factored in for our end of the compensation.

#69 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,463 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:25 PM

You guys are completely nuts if you think Donald could be had for a 1st.   

If you want to trade for Donald, start by offering a 1,3.     You couldn't get him for that, but start low.   Realistically, to get Donald you'd prolly have to give up a 1,1,2.     And that's if they're even willing to trade.   

• LeedsCowboys likes this

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#70 LeedsCowboys

LeedsCowboys

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:16 PM

If you want to trade for Donald, start by offering a 1,3.     You couldn't get him for that, but start low.   Realistically, to get Donald you'd prolly have to give up a 1,1,2.     And that's if they're even willing to trade.   

They have no reason to trade, Donald will get paid and will be happy.

• kskboys likes this

darryl-moose-johnston.jpg

#71 ryanaustinh

ryanaustinh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

When's the last time you saw that? Cutler?

I think you start at a 1st and then there has to be another high pick involved for sure, 2nd the following year is realistic and of course we want a deal in place, so considering what that may cost, I would use that as leverage as well. 

One thing for sure is he is the only player out of all the guys brought up I'd actually be interested in.  Talent level is fantastic and he fits the scheme.

#72 cnuball21

cnuball21

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,196 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:20 PM

I think you start at a 1st and then there has to be another high pick involved for sure, 2nd the following year is realistic and of course we want a deal in place, so considering what that may cost, I would use that as leverage as well. 

One thing for sure is he is the only player out of all the guys brought up I'd actually be interested in.  Talent level is fantastic and he fits the scheme.

Donald is in the argument of the best defender in football , and he's only 26.

It think it would likely take a minimum of 2 1sts...

#73 QCE

QCE

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:09 AM

Donald is in the argument of the best defender in football , and he's only 26.

It think it would likely take a minimum of 2 1sts...

Agreed.

Cooks just got a 1st. Donald is two times better and plays a much more important position. Two 1sts.

#74 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,463 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:25 AM

IDK, when's the last time you saw the most disruptive DT in the league up for trade?

If he could be had for a 1,2, there would be teams lining up to pay it.  

#75 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,698 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

So Martin is just a freaking gaurd? Martin is every bit the player that Donald is. Player for player it would be an even swap with no picks included.

No I still don't think Donald in the 3-4 is good long-term. Remember how Jay Ratlif's body just broke under that demand? I think Donald is smaller than Jay. I could be wrong though on if he's smaller or not. I just don't see the switch as a good move for Donalds future. Why put your team's best player in this posisition?

In the sense that Zach is as good at G as Donald is at DT,  yes,   But you are freaking loony if you think the NFL values guards the same way it values DT's.    Go look at the contracts.  The top DT's make double  what  the top gaurds make.   DT is a far more impactful position on the field,  and it is much harder to find a difference maker like Donald.

The Rams will fire Wade before they trade Donald.

• kskboys likes this

#76 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,463 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:33 PM

In the sense that Zach is as good at G as Donald is at DT,  yes,   But you are freaking loony if you think the NFL values guards the same way it values DT's.    Go look at the contracts.  The top DT's make double  what  the top gaurds make.   DT is a far more impactful position on the field,  and it is much harder to find a difference maker like Donald.

And if not, they need to have their NFL card taken away. 

• atlantacowboy likes this

#77 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,463 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:03 PM

Well stated.

There's like, maybe 9-10 DT's in the NFL that are even close to Donald.    And at least 3-4 of those are head cases!!!!!!!

• atlantacowboy likes this

#78 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts
  • LocationChatham, ontario

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:41 PM

Sorry, Donald seems to be settled in with the Rams for 2017. Now 2018 may be a different story. Got $15 mill/year? That's about what he'll cost. Top 5 in DT salaries, maybe top 3. Right up there with a boy named Suh for sure

#79 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,698 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:42 PM

Well stated.

There's like, maybe 9-10 DT's in the NFL that are even close to Donald.    And at least 3-4 of those are head cases!!!!!!!

I think there are 3 other DTs in the league on par with Donald........Suh,  McCoy, and Adkins.   But Donald is the youngest and he's going to get one those 100 million dollar deals.

#80 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,463 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:51 PM

I think there are 3 other DTs in the league on par with Donald........Suh,  McCoy, and Adkins.   But Donald is the youngest and he's going to get one those 100 million dollar deals.

Pretty much have to include 3-4 DE's in there, as they're the same type player.   

To include:  Leonard Williams, Watt, maybe Clowney, Mike Daniels, Heyward, Casey, Cox, Liuget, Wolfe.

Not same level, no, but all close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users