#1 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,727 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:55 PM

Looks like the same team with the same strengths and weaknesses as last year.  It is still early but Jalen Hurts isn't a QB. There is no NFL future here or even all-sec potential.   He can't read defenses or identify when a wr will come open.  Same issue we saw exposed by Washington and Clemson in the national playoff.  I thought it was just a freshman thing last year or a kiffin thing,  but I don't see any improvement.  Its the same kid with the same weaknesses being exposed.

On the other hand, after one week of college football,  I don't see a Clemson type team that can match the overwhelming talent Bama puts on the field.  So,  they might be good enough to win it all just doing what they're doing.  

The question is do they risk change at this point and try giving Tua some reps in an effort to ignite the offense?

#2 dhal22

dhal22

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Ga

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:26 AM

Not a Bama fan but agree with all you stated here.

#3 C42

C42

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:41 AM

It's not a freshman thing, it's a SEC thing. All SEC QBs are like that. :lol:
  • emmittstaubach likes this

#4 johnny23

johnny23

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:40 AM

He's a running back playing QB. He's just super fast to the edge. I feel sorry for Ridley that kid is a MONSTER! His draft stock might take a hit because he hasn't had a legit QB throwing to him since his freshman year. At least a decent QB. 

#5 jordanjssr

jordanjssr

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:29 AM

Jimbo worked under Saban all those years. They knew each other too well. Daboll showed more in spring than they did Saturday.

FSU scored and Hurts hit a bomb on them. No point in shooting your wad like A&M does every week. They knew the FSU QB was getting shaky, and there was no sense in changing things. FG kicker missed 3 kicks or the game would have been a lot more wide open.

As it was, you do see why a lot of teams just try to play an ugly game with Bama, and hope for a few turnovers.

One other caveat*

I don't think you will see that hurry up offense under Saban again. They felt like they gave Clemson extra opportunities last year.

If Tua was better, he would be playing. I don't think he is far behind, but he cannot bring the run game up as much.

Football was killed by the shield.

#6 johnny23

johnny23

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:36 AM

Francois is a human tackling dummy. Seriously, wow, he's done for the year and the running game is non-existent without Cook. That was scary bad and Cam Akers came in highly touted. 

#7 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,727 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:22 PM

Jimbo worked under Saban all those years. They knew each other too well. Daboll showed more in spring than they did Saturday.

FSU scored and Hurts hit a bomb on them. No point in shooting your wad like A&M does every week. They knew the FSU QB was getting shaky, and there was no sense in changing things. FG kicker missed 3 kicks or the game would have been a lot more wide open.

As it was, you do see why a lot of teams just try to play an ugly game with Bama, and hope for a few turnovers.

One other caveat*

I don't think you will see that hurry up offense under Saban again. They felt like they gave Clemson extra opportunities last year.

If Tua was better, he would be playing. I don't think he is far behind, but he cannot bring the run game up as much.

I bet he could. Just being able to stretch the field vertically would do wonders for the running game.   Tua has a legit NFL caliber arm and he can run.  He needs reps.  Jalen had his opportunity and I think he's about as good as he is ever going to be.  

I can tell you this much,  if Tua doesn't get more PT ,  he's not sticking around to watch Jalen Hurts junior and senior year.   He'll transfer and that would be a bad deal for Bama.  

#8 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,727 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:47 PM

It's not a freshman thing, it's a SEC thing. All SEC QBs are like that. :lol:

JT Barret would be Bama's 3rd string QB.

Was it 31-0 or 33-0 ?  I forget.....   OSU embarrassed themselves and their conference.  Not sure any big 10 fans should be talking smack.  

#9 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,931 posts
  • LocationWilliamsport, Pa

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:28 AM

If an Alabama fan can go on a PennState thread and say stupid things, we'll return the favor. Bama blows!

I DON'T CLAIM TO BE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY, BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE DELUSIONAL! :lol:

3 Important things to remember:

1)Overall, we are only speculators

2))Laughter and bacon feed the soul

3)It's only a game

#10 C42

C42

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:13 AM

JT Barret would be Bama's 3rd string QB.

Was it 31-0 or 33-0 ?  I forget.....   OSU embarrassed themselves and their conference.  Not sure any big 10 fans should be talking smack.  

Lol Our 3rd string QB behind Barrett beat you guys. JT Barrett would be the best QB in the SEC.

The SEC is a one team conference unlike the Big Ten or the ACC.

#11 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,727 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:44 AM

Lol Our 3rd string QB behind Barrett beat you guys. JT Barrett would be the best QB in the SEC.

33-0 loser.   Thats who JT Barret is.   

I'd start a thread about OSU's achilles heal ,  but its pretty much your entire offensive unit.  PSU and Michigan are going to roll you guys.  

#12 boutteman

boutteman

• Moderators
  • 7,336 posts
  • LocationSummerlin, NV

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

Non-sarcastically speaking, I would place Barrett somewhere as the 7th-9th rated QB in the SEC..... with 0% chance of being a NFL QB, whereas there are about 6 SEC QBs that will atleast get a shot in the pros once they leave college.

And your last sentence just portrays a lack of research and/or a bias of wishing something were more true than it is.... granted that Bama has been the main team representing the SEC during the playoff era and the conference from top to bottom has not been as dominant as it was 5 years ago ~ does not automatically mean those other SEC teams would not flourish in other conferences.

In last year's bowl games, the top 5 teams in the SEC (after Bama) went 4-1 = beating 2 top 5 teams in the BigTen, a top 5 team in the Big12 and the number 2 team in the ACC.

• atlantacowboy likes this

#13 C42

C42

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:35 PM

Non-sarcastically speaking, I would place Barrett somewhere as the 7th-9th rated QB in the SEC..... with 0% chance of being a NFL QB, whereas there are about 6 SEC QBs that will atleast get a shot in the pros once they leave college.

And your last sentence just portrays a lack of research and/or a bias of wishing something were more true than it is.... granted that Bama has been the main team representing the SEC during the playoff era and the conference from top to bottom has not been as dominant as it was 5 years ago ~ does not automatically mean those other SEC teams would not flourish in other conferences.

In last year's bowl games, the top 5 teams in the SEC (after Bama) went 4-1 = beating 2 top 5 teams in the BigTen, a top 5 team in the Big12 and the number 2 team in the ACC.

The SEC's best QB last year was a freshman. Barrett is about the same as him. The QB play in the SEC is pretty bad. Bama rarely even worries about their pass defense. Just imagine how bad the SEC would be without Bama. If you take out one team from the Big Ten, they are still pretty tough. I stand by what I said, JMO.

#14 uvaballa

uvaballa

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,787 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:51 AM

Bama should cake walk through the SEC this year.

9tn384.jpg

#15 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,727 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:53 AM

The SEC's best QB last year was a freshman. Barrett is about the same as him. The QB play in the SEC is pretty bad. Bama rarely even worries about their pass defense. Just imagine how bad the SEC would be without Bama. If you take out one team from the Big Ten, they are still pretty tough. I stand by what I said, JMO.

Is there a better conference?   Don't confuse parity with inferiority.  The SEC still has more talent than any other conference from top to bottom and its not even close.

#16 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,727 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:55 AM

Bama should cake walk through the SEC this year.

Clemson is lucky they got to play Auburn week 1 before Stidham warms up to his new surroundings.    Auburn would easily be the #2 team in the ACC.  The iron bowl is going to be far from a cakewalk.  Florida is another team thats only going to get better.  UT and UGA are also strong teams.   And MSU beating LSU just emphasis the point that there are no off weeks in the SEC.........unlike every other conference.

• msudawg likes this

#17 uvaballa

uvaballa

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,787 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:09 AM

No one is scared of the SEC. they just aren't as good as they once were. FSU QB going down hurt the ACC but the SEC is a one team race.
  • C42 likes this

9tn384.jpg

#18 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,727 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:18 AM

No one is scared of the SEC. they just aren't as good as they once were. FSU QB going down hurt the ACC but the SEC is a one team race.

I'm talking football and your talking Halloween?  lol .   These guys all know each other.  Nobody is scared of anybody.  Clemson and FSU recruit the same kids UGA, UT, Bama, Auburn, and Florida recruit.  Their just getting more of them than usual.   OSU and Michigan are now heavily poaching traditional SEC recruiting territory trying to get faster.   OSU can thank their recruiting efforts in florida and georgia for their national title. 

Bama was beating the tar out of FSU well before the QB injury just like they beat the tar out of everybody.   FSU looked like just more road kill.  So,  I wouldn't get your hopes too high on the strength of the ACC........which is looking a lot like the one team conference you accuse the SEC of being.

#19 uvaballa

uvaballa

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,787 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:41 AM

Haha ACC had won 2 out of the last 4 championships. No other conference can say that. SEC is a one team race and there's nothing you can say about it.

9tn384.jpg

#20 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,727 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:20 AM

Haha ACC had won 2 out of the last 4 championships. No other conference can say that. SEC is a one team race and there's nothing you can say about it.

2 out of 4 is more impressive than 8 out of the last 11?   Interesting math.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users