78 replies to this topic

#1 PC Principal

PC Principal

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:25 AM

We went defensive heavy in 2017 and I almost feel like that should continue until we find defensive super stars but only so much can be invested in certain spots before someone we have just has to play well.

On offense we could use a top end WR to be our number 2 and eventually replace Dez. That also gives you young QB another weapon for success. TELL has to be addressed early or late with Witten's age and Uncertainty around Gathers. Hanna will also not be here much longer. OLine could also us some attention.

On defense we have the worst 2 starting Safeties going right now. I would probably throw a 1st round pick at a safety if there is a good enough one there. We have some DEs that are in ther last year now with Lawrence, Moore, and I think Mayowa or Irving is in the final year as well.

There are some directions to go here. I expext us to have late draft position so I would go this route...

1st round: Safety
2nd round: WR
3rd: DE
4th: DT & OLine
5th: CB & TE
6th: RB
7th: FB

We will also have a ton of Cap Space to attract Free Agents to fill gaps for the next 3 years. We will also have trade bait guys like Beasely and Gathers. I probably wouldn't be interested in trading either guy but the numbers game might force a Beasely trade. Well that's roughly about how I would approach it.

#2 DUO_CORE

DUO_CORE

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:48 AM

We need another good OL and top end RB. The way I see it, Zeke's suspension will start next year (6 games) but his track record during the off season is questionable so better think about a back-up plan.

Of course we still need a game wrecker on the D-Line and the jury is still out on the LB's. 

We're an injury away from being  a mediocre O-Line without Leary and Free. 

#3 Cowboy Eric

Cowboy Eric

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:15 AM

OL
LB
DT

#4 daygoboy6191

daygoboy6191

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:54 AM

DE: Irving and Lawrence might not be with this team next year.

SS: Xavier Woods will be the deciding factor here IMO

CB: How do the rookies play, does Brown's arrow keep going up, and can Scandrick stay healthy.

LB: Jaylon Smith does he show why we drafted him so high, and just a bunch of Jags at the position outside of Lee.

WR:  We need another outside WR.

TE: Witten isn't getting any younger, and will Rico show he's the future.

RB: Zeke's off the field issues, and McFadden and Morris are both FA's.

OL: Need a LG or a RT if Collins isn't the guy to play the position.

Plenty of positions to keep our eyes on.

#5 TrojanHawk

TrojanHawk

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (Born in Dallas) Texas Stadium Ticket Holder

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:28 AM

DE 

DT

S

RB- Younger Back Up

441092_display_image.jpg141009-tyron-smith-350.jpg

#6 johnny23

johnny23

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:55 AM

LB-We need an infusion of talent into our linebacking corps. If Jaylon can continue his progress and heal up then we're going to need a solid running buddy for them going forward. 
OL- I don't see Green or Cooper as an answer at Left Guard. 
DT- We're going to need some upgrades on the interior of the defensive line going forward. I like the progress of Collins but there's going to be a need to phase out Crawford. Add some depth. 
CB- We don't know what we have in our rookies YET and we're going to need to get even younger and move on from Scandy. 

#7 cowboyJohn

cowboyJohn

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:50 PM

Safety - our players are not top end, so I would focus on one higher in the draft (not the 1st round unless there is a real game changer there)

LB - Lee is getting older and we lack depth, plus we won't be sure what Jaylon is capable of until year end

OG/T - we have great top line talent, but need to work on quality of depth

DE - sort out the ones we keep this year, and then possibly draft another pass rusher (will change only if Taco/Irving/Mayowa/Tapper breaks out this year)

DT - we have good starters, not as much good depth as our backup guys are lower-end try hard types. Getting more push from a rotation of 3-4 DTs could make this a formidable defense

Backup RB - we have a good starter, but need to replace existing backup vets as they get older with an eye to developing Zeke replacement if they don't intend to give him a second contract

#8 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 43,704 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:59 PM

The draft focus needs to be what it should've been since 2012:    DL.   Why?   Because that is how you advance in the playoffs, upset the opposing QB's timing.    Our playoff record the last many years shows this.    And the two times we finally built a decent team(07 and 09), teams who disrupted our front line beat us.   

The good thing is, we fiiiiiinally started paying attention to the OL.  Sadly, we ruined a good QB's career by not recognizing this Football 101 fact sooner.   

Taco was a good start.    And prolly Collins.    But, now we need to fill the gaps.    And not w/ JAG's and castoffs and late rounders, we need another stud up front.    Or two. 

• Bless the Boys, kmills and atlantacowboy like this

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#9 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,886 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:48 PM

The draft focus needs to be what it should've been since 2012:    DL.   Why?   Because that is how you advance in the playoffs, upset the opposing QB's timing.    Our playoff record the last many years shows this.    And the two times we finally built a decent team(07 and 09), teams who disrupted our front line beat us.   

The good thing is, we fiiiiiinally started paying attention to the OL.  Sadly, we ruined a good QB's career by not recognizing this Football 101 fact sooner.   

Taco was a good start.    And prolly Collins.    But, now we need to fill the gaps.    And not w/ JAG's and castoffs and late rounders, we need another stud up front.    Or two. 

You can never have too many pass rushers.   Its just hard to find them at the end of the round, and Jerry refuses to part with any other assets to acquire one in trade or move up the draft board.  Maybe Tapper and Taco will be the answer.  It would just be nice to go into a season without so many questions on the DL. 

I guess we go after Rodgers with DB's again......and they won't see it coming.

• kskboys likes this

#10 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 43,704 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:52 PM

You can never have too many pass rushers.   Its just hard to find them at the end of the round, and Jerry refuses to part with any other assets to acquire one in trade or move up the draft board.  Maybe Tapper and Taco will be the answer.  It would just be nice to go into a season without so many questions on the DL.

I'm actually liking what I'm reading about Brian Price.     This is a different Brian Price from a few years ago, BTW.   This kid played at UTSA and came into the league as a UFDA in 2016.    There's talk in his limited scouting report of his ability to collapse the pocket, and the fact that he has very quick feet.     Sounds good on paper!!!!!

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#11 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,886 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:07 PM

I'm actually liking what I'm reading about Brian Price.     This is a different Brian Price from a few years ago, BTW.   This kid played at UTSA and came into the league as a UFDA in 2016.    There's talk in his limited scouting report of his ability to collapse the pocket, and the fact that he has very quick feet.     Sounds good on paper!!!!!

I'll beleive when I see.  Though,  UTSA is known for.............. great taco bell line cooks.  :ph34r:

#12 PC Principal

PC Principal

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:30 PM

Safety - our players are not top end, so I would focus on one higher in the draft (not the 1st round unless there is a real game changer there)

LB - Lee is getting older and we lack depth, plus we won't be sure what Jaylon is capable of until year end

OG/T - we have great top line talent, but need to work on quality of depth

DE - sort out the ones we keep this year, and then possibly draft another pass rusher (will change only if Taco/Irving/Mayowa/Tapper breaks out this year)

DT - we have good starters, not as much good depth as our backup guys are lower-end try hard types. Getting more push from a rotation of 3-4 DTs could make this a formidable defense

Backup RB - we have a good starter, but need to replace existing backup vets as they get older with an eye to developing Zeke replacement if they don't intend to give him a second contract

I really agree with this. I just abojt ignored LB and we could use some

#13 QCE

QCE

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:48 PM

The draft focus needs to be what it should've been since 2012: DL. Why? Because that is how you advance in the playoffs, upset the opposing QB's timing. Our playoff record the last many years shows this. And the two times we finally built a decent team(07 and 09), teams who disrupted our front line beat us.

The good thing is, we fiiiiiinally started paying attention to the OL. Sadly, we ruined a good QB's career by not recognizing this Football 101 fact sooner.

Taco was a good start. And prolly Collins. But, now we need to fill the gaps. And not w/ JAG's and castoffs and late rounders, we need another stud up front. Or two.

Seattle is going to ruin Wilson's career just like we did with Romo. It's so obvious yet still very sad to see. Agreed on all points.
  • kskboys likes this

#14 ryanaustinh

ryanaustinh

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:57 PM

We went defensive heavy in 2017 and I almost feel like that should continue until we find defensive super stars but only so much can be invested in certain spots before someone we have just has to play well.

On offense we could use a top end WR to be our number 2 and eventually replace Dez. That also gives you young QB another weapon for success. TELL has to be addressed early or late with Witten's age and Uncertainty around Gathers. Hanna will also not be here much longer. OLine could also us some attention.

On defense we have the worst 2 starting Safeties going right now. I would probably throw a 1st round pick at a safety if there is a good enough one there. We have some DEs that are in ther last year now with Lawrence, Moore, and I think Mayowa or Irving is in the final year as well.

There are some directions to go here. I expext us to have late draft position so I would go this route...

1st round: Safety
2nd round: WR
3rd: DE
4th: DT & OLine
5th: CB & TE
6th: RB
7th: FB

We will also have a ton of Cap Space to attract Free Agents to fill gaps for the next 3 years. We will also have trade bait guys like Beasely and Gathers. I probably wouldn't be interested in trading either guy but the numbers game might force a Beasely trade. Well that's roughly about how I would approach it.

I don't think we would wait until 3rd or 4th on the DL, I think we have plenty of players on that mid range level in Mayowa, Tapper. Irving and Crawford.

If we get 5 sacks each from Charlton, Tapper and Irving, get 8 sacks from Lawrence and resign him to a decent deal AND have Gregory as a wild card, I'm ok at DE.  Add a bog body to play with Collins and Crawford and we'd be pretty solid there.  I loved it when we had Ware, but I don't think we should sit around waiting for another top 6-7 sack artist of all time, may be waiting a while

Safety always seems like there are 1-2 really good top level difference makers to take in the top 15 where we have no shot at and then a bunch of guys who can't cover.

• kskboys likes this

#15 johnny23

johnny23

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:26 PM

Gregory is never going to amount to anything in this league. He is out and Lawrence I don't have much hope for. I think we might need to try to trade up to get a top DE in the first especially if we're around 8-8 and the season falls apart. DE and DT are huge issues because of lack of talent.

#16 ryanaustinh

ryanaustinh

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:21 PM

Gregory is never going to amount to anything in this league. He is out and Lawrence I don't have much hope for. I think we might need to try to trade up to get a top DE in the first especially if we're around 8-8 and the season falls apart. DE and DT are huge issues because of lack of talent.

8-8?  I think you ought to change your name to Negative Nancy.

Not even one game played and you got us losing 5 more games, one guy says we have no secondary, another guy crying at every free agent veteran we didn't sign.

Can any of you just try and be a fan for 5 minutes and root for the team?

• 45yearCowboyFan likes this

#17 Mr. 4.37

Mr. 4.37

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts
  • Location5th dimension

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:37 PM

S
DT
OG
LB
RB
QB
WR

"We take calculated risk associated with victory" - Mike Tomlin

#18 TrojanHawk

TrojanHawk

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (Born in Dallas) Texas Stadium Ticket Holder

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:44 AM

S
DT
OG
LB
RB
QB
WR

you happy at DE?

441092_display_image.jpg141009-tyron-smith-350.jpg

#19 QCE

QCE

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:05 AM

you happy at DE?

I feel out of all the options we have currently on the roster that someone will step up and be a very solid LE.

RE is obviously going to be the hardest to fill with a strong starter, which would likely take a high first round pick.
  • TrojanHawk likes this

#20 QCE

QCE

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:13 AM

Early: DT, SS, LB
Mid round: OG, CB, TE, high SPARQ DR
Late round: RB, OT, SS

0 user(s) are reading this topic