145 replies to this topic

#21 Centex

Centex

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:31 AM

I don't think we would wait until 3rd or 4th on the DL, I think we have plenty of players on that mid range level in Mayowa, Tapper. Irving and Crawford

If we get 5 sacks each from Charlton, Tapper and Irving, get 8 sacks from Lawrence and resign him to a decent deal AND have Gregory as a wild card, I'm ok at DE. Add a bog body to play with Collins and Crawford and we'd be pretty solid there. I loved it when we had Ware, but I don't think we should sit around waiting for another top 6-7 sack artist of all time, may be waiting a while

Safety always seems like there are 1-2 really good top level difference makers to take in the top 15 where we have no shot at and then a bunch of guys who can't cover.

Any mention of Gregory is pointless. The evidence suggests he is either a drug addict or has such a mental issue that he wil never play a snap in the NFL. We probable all know someone who just could not function in society despite having all the ability in he world. I know so many families that have a member like this.
  • 45yearCowboyFan likes this

#22 cnuball21

cnuball21

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

Per the usual...

DL and DBs

#23 beware d-ware

beware d-ware

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

Let's see how things look after the season.
  • 45yearCowboyFan likes this

r0nferno6hcknej1omkj.gif

#24 ironman366

ironman366

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:51 AM

Never a bad idea to upgrade/ bolster the defensive front 7 early in the draft. Draft another OL mid round, possibly another young rb and more defensive help.

#25 Mr. 4.37

Mr. 4.37

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts
  • Location5th dimension

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:09 AM

you happy at DE?

Wouldn't say happy...more like content to wait an see what this group does. I feel Taco n Irving will be starting DEs for awhile.

But...u can never have enough pass rusher, just think current will grow.
  • TrojanHawk likes this

"We take calculated risk associated with victory" - Mike Tomlin

#26 LeedsCowboys

LeedsCowboys

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:17 PM

DL and OL are the 2 main priorities as of now LG may or may not be a weakness, is Green fit enough if not we might needs to look at another swing OT, will Cooper live up to his draft pick.

Lawrence is out of contract will he do enough to earn another shot, will Irving pan out, will Moore grasp his last chance, does is Tapper's back injury a long term concern.

As for FA, I don't see any big names coming in, they will sign their own priority FA, and bring in a few players as in previous years, in order for them not to reach in the draft.

darryl-moose-johnston.jpg

#27 cnuball21

cnuball21

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

If we have another BPA might be a a good option with the needs kind of spread out...

You could make a case for:

RT (if you move Collins back to G)

G (if the play is poor this year)

DE

DT

LB (if Smith doesn't return to form)

CB

S

TE

#28 QCE

QCE

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

Just so people know. After this year we will only have Smith(if he returns to form), Lee(Old and injury prone), and Wilson under contract. Well and Wilbur but we should probably move on from him. That's it.

#29 Mr. 4.37

Mr. 4.37

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts
  • Location5th dimension

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:37 AM

Why do some of you have CB, just curious?
  • kskboys likes this

"We take calculated risk associated with victory" - Mike Tomlin

#30 ryanaustinh

ryanaustinh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:18 AM

I would be puzzled too, even if we were to decline Carroll's option next year, we'd be 4 strong at CB, with White and a returning Duke Thomas competing for #5, of course with all the compensatory picks I wouldn't be upset if we take another stab late.

• kskboys likes this

#31 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,496 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:09 AM

Because Bellychickens uttered his famous phrase:  "You can never have enough corners."

CB then proceeded to become the most overrated position on D.   Not that it's not important, it is.   However, he has people like Jerry and a pile of fans believing we just need more corners.    The QB can sit in the pocket sipping his coffee while getting a nooner, and then complete a pass after 5 minutes, and the sheeples will conclude that we need corners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#32 QCE

QCE

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:19 AM

I did some research and made a thread awhile back about how half of the elite corners are mid-late rounders that you just have to know what you're looking for. I'm all for trying to find our Norman or Malcolm Butler in the layer rounds if the draft is considered to be talented at CB.
  • kskboys likes this

#33 QCE

QCE

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

There will be a few positions we have no need to address next seasons.

QB- Dak and Rush. Until rush proves otherwise he should be a fine back up.

WR- Dez, Twill, Beas, switzer, and Brown all under contract.

Starting Oline- Smith, Fred, Martin, Green, and Collins are all under contract. We will need to find depth if Green stays healthy.

Depth safety- Heath, Woods, and Frazier will all be under contract. Still need to find a stud starter opposite of Byron.

Starting LB- Lee, Smith, and Wilson will all be under contract. If we let Hitchens walk out depth will need to be addressed quickly.

Depth DE- Tapper, Taco, Gregory, Moore, and Mayowa will all be under contract. Those are some fine rotational peices. If Irving develops and we let Lawrence walk we will still need to find a starter.

#34 QCE

QCE

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:43 PM

Also good as depth TE- Swaim, Rico, and Hanna are all under contract. If With an retires we'll need to find a replacement.

#35 PC Principal

PC Principal

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,532 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:11 PM

There will be a few positions we have no need to address next seasons.

QB- Dak and Rush. Until rush proves otherwise he should be a fine back up.

WR- Dez, Twill, Beas, switzer, and Brown all under contract.

Starting Oline- Smith, Fred, Martin, Green, and Collins are all under contract. We will need to find depth if Green stays healthy.

Depth safety- Heath, Woods, and Frazier will all be under contract. Still need to find a stud starter opposite of Byron.

Starting LB- Lee, Smith, and Wilson will all be under contract. If we let Hitchens walk out depth will need to be addressed quickly.

Depth DE- Tapper, Taco, Gregory, Moore, and Mayowa will all be under contract. Those are some fine rotational peices. If Irving develops and we let Lawrence walk we will still need to find a starter.

We should let Hitchens walk. And after that since we didn't draft a LB last year, I could see us getting 2 LBs and maybe a hybrid DE/LB. For my money in any order I want WR, TE, LB, LB, S, OL, OL, QB. I really want that DT from Clemson though. 

#36 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:36 PM

We should let Hitchens walk. And after that since we didn't draft a LB last year, I could see us getting 2 LBs and maybe a hybrid DE/LB. For my money in any order I want WR, TE, LB, LB, S, OL, OL, QB. I really want that DT from Clemson though.

Any reason you wouldn't want to resign Hitchens? According to Helman and company he had a tremendous off-season. I'm excited for him to come back mid season.

If you draft a WR who are you cutting between Dez, Twill, Beas, Switz, and Brown?

Are you cutting Rush for a QB pick?

#37 ryanaustinh

ryanaustinh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

Any reason you wouldn't want to resign Hitchens? According to Helman and company he had a tremendous off-season. I'm excited for him to come back mid season.

If you draft a WR who are you cutting between Dez, Twill, Beas, Switz, and Brown?

Are you cutting Rush for a QB pick?

Yeah maybe 8 million of them.  I honestly don't know his market value, I'd give him the same deal Williams got at WR 4 years 16 million, but if bruce Carter got 4 for $20, not sure what we are looking at.

Otherwise why pay big money for a guy who we have to play out of position just to get him on the field?  Jaylon and Lee are going nowhere, sure either could get hurt, but can you afford to pay that much insurance when you don't have a single DL outside of Crawford in that ballpark?

#38 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:57 PM

Yeah maybe 8 million of them. I honestly don't know his market value, I'd give him the same deal Williams got at WR 4 years 16 million, but if bruce Carter got 4 for $20, not sure what we are looking at.

Otherwise why pay big money for a guy who we have to play out of position just to get him on the field? Jaylon and Lee are going nowhere, sure either could get hurt, but can you afford to pay that much insurance when you don't have a single DL outside of Crawford in that ballpark?

Off ball Linebackers are actually very cheap relative to other positions.

This past off-season Donta Hightower was the lineback jewel of free agency, his deal he got was only worth $8.875 AAV. Zach Brown was 2nd on that list and he got a one year $2.3M deal.

Zach Brown- 97 tackles and 52 assists. Also had 4 sacks which is impressive. Also wasn't coming off a major injury.
Hitchens- 39 tackles and 39 assists last year and had a major injury this year.

I think you'll find we'd be able to keep Hitchens for less/much less than what we paid Williams.

Bruce Carter got that deal when traditional linebackers got paid and was coming off an extremely impressive season with us where he had 5 picks and 82 total tackles in a 13 game span.

#39 45yearCowboyFan

45yearCowboyFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:03 PM

The only real need positions that we know of at this time are OL and TE.  T. Smith has had back issues, that's not going to get better, he's could easily only play a couple more years.  Green is well known as injury prone, depth is very poor at guard and tackle, center not much better.  If you plan to make the running game the main point of your offense, you better have the line to pave the way, and if, as it appears, we have a very good young quarterback, better protect him, great quarterbacks don't grow on trees.

Tight end?  Just how long will Witten play?  He's under contract for 4 more years, would love for him to stay that long, but even if he does, you need time to groom his replacement.  Gathers might come on, but it's getting a little late for that to happen, though with Witten in there, when's he going to get a real chance to show what he's got? 

LB does need addressing, but it's too early to tell about Smith, if he turns out like we all think he can, with Lee and Hitchens and Wilson and Wilbur, there's just not the need as on the OL and at TE.

Lots of young DBs, have to see what they can do for a couple of years before you start drafting more.

Sure Elliot could get hurt or suspended, but remember, he was the no. 4 pick overall, unless this team just falls apart, you won't find an Elliot in the late first round or in later rounds, might as well roll the dice on him.  And you have Morris, McFadden and Keith Smith for backups.

It's too early to worry about the next draft, too many young guys who have to be given a chance to shine..

#40 DanAn

DanAn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:52 AM

There's a whole season to evaluate which will change things a fair bit but as things stand and looking at who our free agents are I there's a number of positions I would consider.

1st & 2nd round:

In the first round I would consider G, DT, DE, S as preferred positions. If we're willing to move La'el Collins back to guard then I'd also put OT in there but that feels unlikely.  CB and WR are options but I've got a bit of faith in our current group with Noah Brown to replace Brice Butler the only change for next season.

3rd - 5th rounds

I would drop the idea of adding a DE and S as I don't think we need depth in those positions, prefered options would be RB, LB, DT, G and OT. We've got five picks and I would like to get at least one linebacker and a running back. I'd also like us to get a C/G to replace Looney and maybe challenge Green as a starting guard depending on what happens in earlier rounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users