78 replies to this topic

#61 cnuball21

cnuball21

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,810 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

I think you might be making too little of it!!!!!

Not size so much as build. NT's are generally more effective w/ a squatty build, due to leverage. There is an occasional guy who is 6-4 and has the ability to get low(Barry Cofield, for example), but too often taller guys get pushed around due to leverage issues.

OAK tried this a couple years back pairing up 6-6/300 Tommy Kelly and 6-6/310 Richard Seymour inside at DT. Although it was effective at times, they couldn't stop the run (18th) and didn't work.

And then WASH tried to stick 6-6 Haynesworthless on the nose. Didn't work.

An interior presence who can't be moved makes a monster of a difference, even if he's not a playmaker like Snacks or Wilfork was.

Thanks K - saved me some typing.

We tried to force a taller dude into the 1T with the guy from the Eagles last year and he was bad. There are outliers, but ideally you want someone who isn't that tall.

I don't think his height would eliminate Wilkins from playing 1T, but his skill set is best suited for 3T.

That's why I prefer 325 pound extremely athletic Vita Vea.

Vea is listed at 6'4-6'5 as well...

#62 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

Thanks K - saved me some typing.

We tried to force a taller dude into the 1T with the guy from the Eagles last year and he was bad. There are outliers, but ideally you want someone who isn't that tall.

Vea is listed at 6'4-6'5 as well...

Like I said, being 6-4 doesn't bother me.

#63 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 43,693 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

Then it is a very good thing you are not GM or coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• atlantacowboy likes this

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#64 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:28 PM

Then it is a very good thing you are not GM or coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to miss out on good players because they don't fit your exact specifications, that's up to you.

Linval Joseph is a dominant football player that would transform this defense. He's also a 6'4 1T. Good thing you aren't a coach or GM.

#65 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 43,693 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:11 PM

If you want to miss out on good players because they don't fit your exact specifications, that's up to you.

Linval Joseph is a dominant football player that would transform this defense. He's also a 6'4 1T. Good thing you aren't a coach or GM.

If you want to build a team that has inherent weaknesses due to improper player evaluation, that's up to you!!!!  Seriously, I acknowledged there were exceptions.    You are saying it doesn't- matter at all.    Then you would put a guy who is 6/5/220 at NT?   

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#66 PC Principal

PC Principal

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,259 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:51 PM

I would just hate it if the BPA is a position we don't need right away. I know that's good for the long term but I would want high picks to play right away. With that being said, if a stud QB or RB is the BPA I would still take him. Maybe that's trade bait in a year or two, but I hope that doesn't happen at least until the 2nd round. 

#67 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:09 PM

If you want to build a team that has inherent weaknesses due to improper player evaluation, that's up to you!!!! Seriously, I acknowledged there were exceptions. You are saying it doesn't- matter at all. Then you would put a guy who is 6/5/220 at NT?

There would be no inherent weakness with Vea at 1T? So idk why you'd say that.
It does matter, if you play with a certain technique and I'm not worried about those problems with Vea.
Well he's one of your exceptions, you should watch him, he's exciting.

#68 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 43,693 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:26 PM

It does matter, if you play with a certain technique and I'm not worried about those problems with Vea.

Haven't studied Vea.    Does he have that low build that is the best option to excel at the 1T?

#69 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:28 PM

Haven't studied Vea. Does he have that low build that is the best option to excel at the 1T?

Absolutely!

#70 johnny23

johnny23

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:29 PM

After today's game we need everything. 

#71 DanAn

DanAn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:23 AM

After today's game we need everything. 

Yeah I'm gonna say it felt like we missed Barry Church this games

#72 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 43,693 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:46 AM

Absolutely!

Then I'm in!!!!!!

#73 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 43,693 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:49 AM

Oh, and I said that because you claim that build should not be paid attention to when evaluating players.   I'm of the opinion that if you are an NFL GM, everything must be considered.   And build is one of the biggies.   

#74 Navy blue

Navy blue

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:56 AM

I don't think his height would eliminate Wilkins from playing 1T, but his skill set is best suited for 3T.

That's why I prefer 325 pound extremely athletic Vita Vea.

I don't know.
Would maranelli want him? one of the things that frustrates me the most about maranelli is His views regarding the one tech/ nose position.maybe the cowboys could draft vea next year and that 340 pound DT from Clemson the following year.they could be like the 2000 ravens d line.
  • kskboys and johnny23 like this

#75 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 43,693 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

I don't know.
Would maranelli want him? one of the things that frustrates me the most about maranelli is His views regarding the one tech/ nose position.maybe the cowboys could draft vea next year and that 340 pound DT from Clemson the following year.they could be like the 2000 ravens d line.

If the other team's O is completely blocked from doing anything up the middle, it changes everything. 

#76 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,877 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:15 PM

Can we draft a new coach?

#77 Mr. 4.37

Mr. 4.37

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,932 posts
  • Location5th dimension

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:45 PM

S
DT
OG
LB
RB
QB
WR

After two weeks, S an DT are still at th top of th list. Current Ss have trouble tackling an taking proper angles. Current DTs have issues vs run.

Build defense up th middle. Jaylon will be fine at MLB.

"We take calculated risk associated with victory" - Mike Tomlin

#78 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 43,693 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:53 AM

After two weeks, S an DT are still at th top of th list. Current Ss have trouble tackling an taking proper angles. Current DTs have issues vs run.

Build defense up th middle. Jaylon will be fine at MLB.

Proper angles?  More like stiff hips.

#79 Navy blue

Navy blue

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:51 PM

I wonder if the cowboys should look at drafting a receiver to be a legit number two across from dez.I wonder if amari watts or that Harrison kid from Alabama would be good fits at safety for the cowboys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users