#1 nygiants516

nygiants516

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:09 PM

http://nyg.247sports...-game-106977236

Eli Manning has his fair share of detractors heading into his age-36 season with the New York Giants, but former NFL quarterback turned analyst Tony Romo is not one of them.

“He’s a legend of the game, and he’s still playing,” Romo said, via Neil Best of Newsday. “One thing that I really think is special, though, and I’ll talk about this during the season, is the great quarterbacks have an ability to last through the lean years, when the team kind of has turnover. A lot of guys can make it through years when you have really good football teams. But if you’re a great quarterback, you make it through years where your team is not very good but they ask you to carry it and still be competitive and win.

“The good ones play through that and come out of it with a good team on the end . . . I think Eli is one of those."

Romo most admires Manning's longevity and his ability to win with a sometimes suboptimal roster around him. Last offseason, Giants general manager Jerry Reese completely turned the roster around with savvy moves in free agency and the draft, but there was a period from 2009-2016 where the Giants were drafting poorly and spending poorly in free agency.

Now, Manning enters his 14th NFL season and he hasn't missed a regular season start in his entire career.

“Quarterbacks are playing longer, so he might play another six years,” FOX Sports' Cris Carter said, via Newsday. “Peyton, it was an injury thing that forced him out, or he’d probably still be playing. So Eli’s genetics are strong. He doesn’t get hurt. He still loves to play. He’s got a great organization around him. He’s got talent, weapons.

“It’s like Tom Brady said: ‘Why would I quit when I’ve taken the test and now I have all the answers?’ I still think Eli at this stage can still improve, can be a little more consistent during the regular season, have a little higher percentage of completions during the regular season.”

Manning returns to a team that finished 11-5 in 2016. The Giants and Manning enter 2017 with arguably the best roster and supporting cast he's ever had as a quarterback. The offense held the team back in 2016, so they replaced struggling starters Victor CruzRashad Jennings, and Will Tye with Brandon Marshall, Paul Perkins, and Evan Engram.

On defense, the Giants allowed the fewest touchdowns in 2016 and arguably improved in 2017. Johnathan Hankinswas more name than game in 2016. Hankins' replacements, Jay Bromley and second-round pick Dalvin Tomlinson, are sneaky bets to add more production at the vacant defensive tackle position. Darian Thompson's return helps the secondary, Eli Apple and Landon Collins could make another jump, Jason Pierre-Paul and Olivier Vernon are finally fully healthy, and talented middle linebacker B.J. Goodson has entered the mix.

#2 Ultron

Ultron

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,506 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:11 PM

The only thing legendary about Eli is the fact he's the brother of legendary QB Peyton Manning
  • kskboys, northerncowboynation, beware d-ware and 6 others like this

#3 nygiants516

nygiants516

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:17 PM

The only thing legendary about Eli is the fact he's the brother of legendary QB Peyton Manning

You may have missed a few small facts like.

2x SB winning QB 

2x SB MVP

and will likely end in top 5 for Yards, Tds.

200 games started in a row.

• kidcowboy83, WECap193 and Gmen4ever like this

#4 lordnate

lordnate

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:22 PM

Every preseason we hear how Eli has all these amazing weapons around him, then in the off-season we get to hear how Eli's lack of production was caused by the lack of talent around him. Remember when Victor Cruz was talked about as an elite WR, not a struggling star? We heard the same about Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Rueben Randle, etc. Didn't he have the great Odell Beckham last year and in fact the last three years?

• Techsass likes this

#5 nygiants516

nygiants516

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:26 PM

Every preseason we hear how Eli has all these amazing weapons around him, then in the off-season we get to hear how Eli's lack of production was caused by the lack of talent around him. Remember when Victor Cruz was talked about as an elite WR, not a struggling star? We heard the same about Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Rueben Randle, etc. Didn't he have the great Odell Beckham last year and in fact the last three years?

3 of the starters ELI had last year are OUT OF THE NFL as of today.

Donnell, Cruz, Jennings..

The 4th TYE was released and picked up by the Jets.

2014 & 2015 ELI had tremendous years.. 2016 wasnt as good.

• Gmen4ever likes this

#6 lordnate

lordnate

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:26 PM

You may have missed a few small facts like.

2x SB winning QB 

2x SB MVP

and will likely end in top 5 for Yards, Tds.

200 games started in a row.

His last Super Bowl was like 5-6 years ago. His career stats are due to his volume of pass attempts due to a lengthy career. He'll probably also end his career top 5 in pass attempts and top 5 in interceptions thrown.

• mrsouthpaw and Hennessy_King like this

#7 nygiants516

nygiants516

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:30 PM

His last Super Bowl was like 5-6 years ago. His career stats are due to his volume of pass attempts due to a lengthy career. He'll probably also end his career top 5 in pass attempts and top 5 in interceptions thrown.

7 of the TOP 10 Interception leaders are Hall of Famers... 

Farve

Unitas

Marino

Peyton - Will be

Blanda

Tarkenton

Tittle

Interesting isnt it?

• Gmen4ever likes this

#8 lordnate

lordnate

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:34 PM

3 of the starters ELI had last year are OUT OF THE NFL as of today.

Donnell, Cruz, Jennings..

The 4th TYE was released and picked up by the Jets.

2014 & 2015 ELI had tremendous years.. 2016 wasnt as good.

Doesn't change the fact that they were talked about as being great players around him before the season. Just like this year. Paul Perkins was a former 5th round pick who was on the team last year, but you are talking about him being a great new weapon. Brandon Marshall is a 33 year old receiver who is coming off a down year for the Jets last season. Evan Engram is a rookie.

#9 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,045 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:34 PM

Tony, say it isn't so.

• Runwildboys, Needmorerings and Silhouette like this

#10 nygiants516

nygiants516

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:35 PM

Doesn't change the fact that they were talked about as being great players around him before the season. Just like this year. Paul Perkins was a former 5th round pick who was on the team last year, but you are talking about him being a great new weapon. Brandon Marshall is a 33 year old receiver who is coming off a down year for the Jets last season. Evan Engram is a rookie.

Marshall had Bryce Petty throwing to him, of course it would be a down year.. And he still had 750 yards and 60 catches

Same thing DEZ had 2 years ago when Romo was out.

ENGRAM looks great in preseason with 6 catches and 3 over 15 yards.

Perkins ran well last year & hopefully can carry the load.

RHETT ELLISON was a huge pick up, best blocking TE in the game

And SMITH at FB will be a thumper..

#11 Rawhide 74

Rawhide 74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Location15 miles from the Linc

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:38 PM

Not that I am for it but he will be HOF at some point so I guess that's legendary .  I know his luck is of legendary status lol.

#12 bob_tha_football

bob_tha_football

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:39 PM

why is this in "Cowboys" forum??

• RovingTexan likes this

#13 TeamTurpin

TeamTurpin

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationNorth of the Red River

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:41 PM

Eli Manning?!  Really?

• souporbowl likes this

#14 Runwildboys

Runwildboys

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,078 posts
  • LocationPJG - East Coast Chapter

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:41 PM

Tony says a lot of dumb stuff. ;)
  • mrsouthpaw likes this

wOZF2v4.jpg

#15 nygiants516

nygiants516

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:43 PM

why is this in "Cowboys" forum??

Because a ex Cowboy player mentioned it and your team is playing the Giants this week.

Makes for some fun debates.

Not that I am for it but he will be HOF at some point so I guess that's legendary .  I know his luck is of legendary status lol.

Lets discuss the luck?

Was him escaping the sack luck or effort?

Was hit threading the needle to Manningham luck or skill?

• Gmen4ever likes this

#16 souporbowl

souporbowl

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:44 PM

Most of Baby Manning's winning came from their defense....not Baby Manning.

Being objective - that is truly one of the most difficult things about being a Cowboy fan....

#17 Jipper

Jipper

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,017 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:45 PM

this is like when aikman is calling cowboys games...he is trying so hard to not look like a cowboys homer that he is overcompensating...

• Navy blue likes this

#18 nygiants516

nygiants516

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:50 PM

Most of Baby Manning's winning came from their defense....not Baby Manning.

Funny you would say that.

2011 NY Giants defense was ranked 27th that year.

Yet they won the SB..

ELI threw for 4900 yards and the most yards in playoffs EVER.

2007 They were ranked 7th..

ELI Did beat ROMO & Farve on the road & Undefeated BRADY

• Gmen4ever likes this

#19 lordnate

lordnate

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:54 PM

Marshall had Bryce Petty throwing to him, of course it would be a down year.. And he still had 750 yards and 60 catches

Same thing DEZ had 2 years ago when Romo was out.

ENGRAM looks great in preseason with 6 catches and 3 over 15 yards.

Perkins ran well last year & hopefully can carry the load.

RHETT ELLISON was a huge pick up, best blocking TE in the game

And SMITH at FB will be a thumper..

When Romo was out, Dez Bryant missed games due to injury. Dez only played 9 games in 2015. Marshall played in 15 games in 2016, which is the down year I'm talking about. Also, Dez Bryant isn't 33 years old. Dez Bryant is 28. Dez was a young player dealing with an injury. Marshall was a healthy player that's getting old.

#20 nygiants516

nygiants516

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

When Romo was out, Dez Bryant missed games due to injury. Dez only played 9 games in 2015. Marshall played in 15 games in 2016, which is the down year I'm talking about. Also, Dez Bryant isn't 33 years old. Dez Bryant is 28. Dez was a young player dealing with an injury. Marshall was a healthy player that's getting old.

Not the point.. DEZ when he played with a bad QB wasnt DEZ.. 

I would actually look at 60 catches and 750 yards in 15 games with BRYCE PETTY as a good year. Especially when DECKER was out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users