1256 replies to this topic

#1101 Haimerej

Haimerej

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,574 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:07 PM

No, I didn't say that. You are commenting without the background of the conversation.

I just read the conversation. It started with you complaining about his feed me thing.

#1102 Haimerej

Haimerej

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,574 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

I'll retract- you didn't say they considered it. But you're definitely saying they see it as a negative image they may consider in the future, which I find just as silly.
  • Hennessy_King likes this

#1103 Rogers

Rogers

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,503 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:22 PM

I just read the conversation. It started with you complaining about his feed me thing.

No. I don't like it.  But that doesn't somehow mean I said it played into his punishment. 

What I have said about it is with all that has gone on with Zeke and all the negative attention he should be worried about improving his public image, and the feed me thing doesn't help with that.   What I've also said is that it isn't just about his image with Cowboy fans, even though a lot of them don't like the feed me thing either, but it's about all NFL fans, and women's advocacy groups and everyone that the NFL is worried about presenting a certain image to.   You can bet your ass fans across the NFL aren't as willing to give Zeke the benefit of the doubt as Cowboy fans are, and you can bet your ass advocacy groups aren't either.   The feed me thing, while annoying, is a pretty small thing, but anything that creates a negative perception with the public is not a good thing for Zeke at this point.

#1104 Haimerej

Haimerej

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,574 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:42 PM

The league is literally loosening restrictions on celebrations in order to appeal to fans... yet Zeke's celebration turns fans off because you don't like it?
  • Hennessy_King likes this

#1105 Hennessy_King

Hennessy_King

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:42 PM

No. I don't like it.  But that doesn't somehow mean I said it played into his punishment. 

What I have said about it is with all that has gone on with Zeke and all the negative attention he should be worried about improving his public image, and the feed me thing doesn't help with that.   What I've also said is that it isn't just about his image with Cowboy fans, even though a lot of them don't like the feed me thing either, but it's about all NFL fans, and women's advocacy groups and everyone that the NFL is worried about presenting a certain image to.   You can bet your ass fans across the NFL aren't as willing to give Zeke the benefit of the doubt as Cowboy fans are, and you can bet your ass advocacy groups aren't either.   The feed me thing, while annoying, is a pretty small thing, but anything that creates a negative perception with the public is not a good thing for Zeke at this point.

My friends and family love the feed me celebration. Just because you don't like it does not mean a majority of cowboy fans feel the same way. And fans of other teams should hate it. If he stopped doing it, it would show the case against him is effecting him on the field which is something I do not want to see. 

• Relayer likes this

#FreeZekiel

#1106 heathgs

heathgs

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,556 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:00 PM

The league is literally loosening restrictions on celebrations in order to appeal to fans... yet Zeke's celebration turns fans off because you don't like it?

I don't like it because he overuses it.  I don't care to see it after a 6 yard gain on 2nd and 2 in the first quarter of the first game of the season.  If he did it in truly big moments It wouldn't be so bad.

• emmittstaubach, Dstar, Harpospoke and 1 other like this

#1107 Haimerej

Haimerej

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,574 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:09 PM

I don't like it because he overuses it. I don't care to see it after a 6 yard gain on 2nd and 2 in the first quarter of the first game of the season. If he did it in truly big moments It wouldn't be so bad.

I've always preferred Barry Sanders' approach but at this point I no longer care.
  • heathgs likes this

#1108 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,910 posts
  • LocationWilliamsport, Pa

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:36 PM

My friends and family love the feed me celebration. Just because you don't like it does not mean a majority of cowboy fans feel the same way. And fans of other teams should hate it. If he stopped doing it, it would show the case against him is effecting him on the field which is something I do not want to see.

The number of people that hate it is much larger, because it consists of not only non Cowboy fans, but also a portion of the Cowboy fanbase. They're embarrassed by it. There are also casual fans whose perception is that of yet another super arrogant/super wealthy/super immature athlete who just MAY be guilty of DV, saying "look at me". I'm telling you guys, the resentment over this type of celebrity is growing.

I DON'T CLAIM TO BE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY, BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE DELUSIONAL! :lol:

3 Important things to remember:

1)Overall, we are only speculators

2))Laughter and bacon feed the soul

3)It's only a game

#1109 Turkish Cowboy

Turkish Cowboy

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationIstanbul, Turkey

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:33 PM

I don't like it because he overuses it. I don't care to see it after a 6 yard gain on 2nd and 2 in the first quarter of the first game of the season. If he did it in truly big moments It wouldn't be so bad.

I don't have any problem with Zeke doing the "feed me" and actually I like seeing it.

However, I don't agree with you that he overuses it because he usually does it either after a good chunk of gain or a tough 3rd down run for a 1st down, not after every run.

#1110 Rogers

Rogers

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 16,503 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:39 PM

I didn't say a majority of Cowboy fans don't like it, I just said many don't.  That's not the issue anyway.  It's easy to say everyone else should hate it, although I think there is a lot of benefit to being viewed around the league as a classy guy, but as I've said, at this point Elliott's image issue is a lot bigger than a gesture on the field that other fans hate.  NFL fans aren't just seeing a star player doing something on the field they hate, they are seeing a player that has trouble following him everywhere, and the on the field stuff they hate is just added fuel to that image issue that he doesn't need.   

Think fairly about this - if somebody from the Patriots were exactly in the same circumstances as Elliott - accused of DV, pulled down a woman's top in public, being in other situations like the bar and going into the pot store - do you really think Cowboy fans would be as forgiving as they are with Zeke?  I personally don't think so, and I don't think others will be any more forgiving with Zeke.   Now, I'm not saying Zeke is being treated fairly, I'm just saying there is an image problem that goes with the territory.   And when a guy is already on a black list with people that have authority over him the best thing for him to do is to avoid any possibility of adding fuel to the fire.  It's much easier for the NFL to come down on a player if a large part of the NFL fan base dislikes him.

#1111 Rogers

Rogers

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 16,503 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:46 PM

The number of people that hate it is much larger, because it consists of not only non Cowboy fans, but also a portion of the Cowboy fanbase. They're embarrassed by it. There are also casual fans whose perception is that of yet another super arrogant/super wealthy/super immature athlete who just MAY be guilty of DV, saying "look at me". I'm telling you guys, the resentment over this type of celebrity is growing.

I agree, and the only point I was making is a guy that already has other image problems doesn't need this added to the list.

#1112 Haimerej

Haimerej

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,574 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:53 PM

I didn't say a majority of Cowboy fans don't like it, I just said many don't. That's not the issue anyway. It's easy to say everyone else should hate it, although I think there is a lot of benefit to being viewed around the league as a classy guy, but as I've said, at this point Elliott's image issue is a lot bigger than a gesture on the field that other fans hate. NFL fans aren't just seeing a star player doing something on the field they hate, they are seeing a player that has trouble following him everywhere, and the on the field stuff they hate is just added fuel to that image issue that he doesn't need.

Think fairly about this - if somebody from the Patriots were exactly in the same circumstances as Elliott - accused of DV, pulled down a woman's top in public, being in other situations like the bar and going into the pot store - do you really think Cowboy fans would be as forgiving as they are with Zeke? I personally don't think so, and I have no doubt that fans around the NFL aren't very forgiving with Zeke. Now, I'm not saying all if this wasn't just innocent, youthful mistakes, or that Zeke is being treated fairly, I'm just saying there is an image problem that goes with the territory. And when a guy is already on a black list with people that have authority over him the best thing for him to do is to avoid adding fuel to the fire, no matter how small the fuel may seem.

How do people feel about Ray Lewis? Should he have stopped dancing?

My point is simply that you guys are making his celebration into something bigger than it is.

#1113 heathgs

heathgs

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,556 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:11 PM

I don't have any problem with Zeke doing the "feed me" and actually I like seeing it.

However, I don't agree with you that he overuses it because he usually does it either after a good chunk of gain or a tough 3rd down run for a 1st down, not after every run.

He has been doing it after every first down. There was one time on Sunday night after a 9 yard gain on 1st down he was waiting for the spot to see if he was getting a first down or if it was 2nd down.  They marked it 2nd and 1 and he went back to the huddle.

#1114 oldschoolfan64

oldschoolfan64

• Moderators
  • 11,860 posts
  • LocationTexas Panhandle

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:54 PM

I just can't hate on Von Miller. Here is his advice to Zeke.“You can only control what you can control. Just string days together. That’s what worked for me when I was going through my tough time. Days will turn into a week, a week will turn into a month, and a month will turn into a year. Time heals all.”

Been a Dallas fan all my life...will remain a Dallas fan till I die.

#1115 BoysHeelsEers

BoysHeelsEers

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:20 AM

I just can't hate on Von Miller. Here is his advice to Zeke.“You can only control what you can control. Just string days together. That’s what worked for me when I was going through my tough time. Days will turn into a week, a week will turn into a month, and a month will turn into a year. Time heals all.”

Was just going to post this, Zeke needs to just slow life down, you go from college kid to star in 3 months, and listening to those who have walked that walk will save him from future mistakes. I know at 22 I was a mess at times. Leaving college and that lifestyle and boom into the real world is an adjustment even for a football player.
  • oldschoolfan64 likes this

#1116 mrsouthpaw

mrsouthpaw

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,493 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around here

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:47 AM

I don't like it because he overuses it.  I don't care to see it after a 6 yard gain on 2nd and 2 in the first quarter of the first game of the season.  If he did it in truly big moments It wouldn't be so bad.

He does it on a first down run.

#1117 mrsouthpaw

mrsouthpaw

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,493 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around here

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:50 AM

FRISCO, Texas (AP) — The NFL is trying to accelerate the timeline in its appeal of a federal judge’s injunction that blocked Dallas running back Ezekiel Elliott’s six-game suspension over a domestic violence case.

The NFL quickly answered a filing from Elliott’s attorneys Wednesday, telling U.S. District Judge Amos Mazzant that the league would immediately go to the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans if he didn’t rule on its request for a stay of his injunction by Thursday.

The legal maneuverings are unlikely to keep last year’s NFL rushing leader from playing Sunday at Denver.

He had already been cleared to play in a season-opening win over the New York Giants before Mazzant granted his request for an injunction.

The NFL had until Friday to respond to arguments from Elliott’s camp against Mazzant rescinding his own order blocking the suspension. In that scenario, Mazzant wouldn’t have ruled until next week.

http://dfw.cbslocal....ott-suspension/

#1118 capcomeback

capcomeback

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:15 AM

FRISCO, Texas (AP) — The NFL is trying to accelerate the timeline in its appeal of a federal judge’s injunction that blocked Dallas running back Ezekiel Elliott’s six-game suspension over a domestic violence case.

The NFL quickly answered a filing from Elliott’s attorneys Wednesday, telling U.S. District Judge Amos Mazzant that the league would immediately go to the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans if he didn’t rule on its request for a stay of his injunction by Thursday.

The legal maneuverings are unlikely to keep last year’s NFL rushing leader from playing Sunday at Denver.

He had already been cleared to play in a season-opening win over the New York Giants before Mazzant granted his request for an injunction.

The NFL had until Friday to respond to arguments from Elliott’s camp against Mazzant rescinding his own order blocking the suspension. In that scenario, Mazzant wouldn’t have ruled until next week.

http://dfw.cbslocal....ott-suspension/

Man... it seems like the NFL is is looking to tick off the judge who will likely be hearing the case when it goes to trial. I highly doubt the Court of Appeals will hear their plea on the injunction, so it will just fall back to Judge Mazzant's docket for when it goes to trial. It's pretty insulting to in essence, threaten a judge to overrule his own order or they will go above his head. I'm sure the judge is thinking "go ahead".

Why should the Court of Appeals feel obligated to bump this motion to block Zeke's injunction to the top of their docket? My guess, it gets buried under some law clerk's bologna sandwich (like my choice lunch meats? Because like the sandwich, the league is full of it, lol).

#1119 Relayer

Relayer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 17,980 posts
  • LocationChristchurch NZ. (Go All Blacks)

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:07 AM

I didn't say the person shouldn't be "allowed" to do anything, I said a person should be smart about not doing anything that that will be viewed unfavorably by those with authority over him.    You are acting as if this is my standard, but I'm just stating the reality of how companies that rely on a positive public image to sell their product views things. 

The NFL isn't Zeke's employer, but it does have authority over Zeke.  You may not like that, and you may want to deny it, but that's how it is.   Denying the reality of how things work doesn't do anything to benefit Zeke.

Think about this ... despite the NFL's comments that the suspension was only about DV, it's pretty widely believed that had Zeke not had all the other negative attention on him over the last year that the NFL would have gone more lightly on him.   They even mentioned the parade incident in the letter to Zeke.   That pretty much highlights what I'm saying about Zeke needing to think about his public image at this point and not do anything that might fuel the fire. 

Think about this, the league just lightened their restrictions on celebrations. How does that work? "Go ahead guys have fun and be creative with your celebrations... except for Elliott."  Zeke's feed me routine as it is will never have any effect on anything. Trying to somehow relate it to his suspension is just incredible.

What I have said about it is with all that has gone on with Zeke and all the negative attention he should be worried about improving his public image, and the feed me thing doesn't help with that.   What I've also said is that it isn't just about his image with Cowboy fans, even though a lot of them don't like the feed me thing either, but it's about all NFL fans, and women's advocacy groups and everyone that the NFL is worried about presenting a certain image to.   You can bet your ass fans across the NFL aren't as willing to give Zeke the benefit of the doubt as Cowboy fans are, and you can bet your ass advocacy groups aren't either.   The feed me thing, while annoying, is a pretty small thing, but anything that creates a negative perception with the public is not a good thing for Zeke at this point.

And my argument is you're wrong. It doesn't effect his public image in a negative way at all except with a select few incredibly narrow minded individuals. 

• capcomeback and Hennessy_King like this

1509328801-NS_cowbriefs_1030spo_JL_17-wi

The hardest hitter in football. :)

Darrell Royal

I might say this: we’ve always been a running team and I’m sure we will continue to be so. (We’ve been criticized for it, I might add.) But I’ve always felt that three things can happen to you whenever you throw the football, and two of them are bad. You can catch the ball, you can throw it incomplete, or have it intercepted.

#1120 Rogers

Rogers

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 16,503 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:28 PM

How do people feel about Ray Lewis? Should he have stopped dancing?

My point is simply that you guys are making his celebration into something bigger than it is.

I think you are getting to hung up on the celebration being the primary topic.   In and of itself I understand the "feed me" thing isn't a major public perception issue, and although I personally dislike it quite a lot, I understand not everyone feels the same and I have zero problem with that.  We can agree to disagree.   I'm just saying the best thing - the smart thing - for Zeke to do given all the negativity surrounding him is to do anything he can to improve his public image and avoid anything that might even have the potential to add to the negativity.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users