• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,495 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

7 in a row again, winning streak!!!!

Correa back, hitting on all cylinders.     And they've even turned Maybin into a better hitter.     He's never hit more than 10 HR's in a season before, and suddenly jacks 3 in like 5-6 games.   

And then getting Verlander!!!!!    W/ Keuchel back from the IR and McCullers looking good, man this team could make some noise. 

WS bound, baby!!!!!!!!!!!   Screw the Dodgers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 5 Lombardis and 45yearCowboyFan like this

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#2 Needmorerings

Needmorerings

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationDeep South

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

I thought the Astros would be working on their synchronized swimming instead of baseball.

• kskboys likes this

#3 45yearCowboyFan

45yearCowboyFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

Red Sox and Cubs went for decades and decades with no titles, then in the last few years both have broken through.

Could be the Astros' year, but as with most teams, having a full and healthy roster is the biggest reason you win.

They should have the division wrapped up by next week, 14  1/2 game lead with only 23 games left to play, 9 more wins and the Angels can't catch them, and that's assuming the Angels don't lose any more!

#4 Ultron

Ultron

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:04 AM

They have a very good/young team

#5 at&t4u&me

at&t4u&me

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,998 posts
  • LocationA crack in the space time continuum

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:51 AM

Great Scott!

If you didnt want jerry to compete to move up two spots for franchise QB last year then you cant criticize Dak all day. He is what he is -a mid round QB, and zeke, bosa and ramsey cant play QB either.

Crush him, Roger.

#6 MaynardB

MaynardB

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationOklahoma backwoods

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

7 in a row again, winning streak!!!!

Correa back, hitting on all cylinders. And they've even turned Maybin into a better hitter. He's never hit more than 10 HR's in a season before, and suddenly jacks 3 in like 5-6 games.

And then getting Verlander!!!!! W/ Keuchel back from the IR and McCullers looking good, man this team could make some noise.

WS bound, baby!!!!!!!!!!! Screw the Dodgers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Verlander has been lights out and Keuchel looks to be coming around. The offense seems to be in high gear. The problem I see is with the other two SP spots. McCullers hasn't looked good at all in months. Morton is up and down. McHugh is still finding his groove. Peacock gives 5 solid innings but a high pitch count keeps him from pitching deeper into games. Hopefully, 1 or 2 of those guys steps up.

I've been an astros fan since the Colt 45 days. I'd like to feel confident in this team but they've let me down too many times.

#7 bosd

bosd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:33 PM

They have been winning me some nice pennies in the last week.  :)

Kaneh-Bosm

Most reputable news agencies will get at least a 2nd confirmation before going with a story.  We should do the same and ask of the same.  However, when it comes to common knowledge, a simple google search will suffice. 

#8 MaynardB

MaynardB

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:16 PM

They have been winning me some nice pennies in the last week. :)

Yea. They really feasted on the Rangers.

#9 bosd

bosd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:48 AM

Yea. They really feasted on the Rangers.

And they are feasting on the Sox.  got em at almost even money.  woohoo!

Kaneh-Bosm

Most reputable news agencies will get at least a 2nd confirmation before going with a story.  We should do the same and ask of the same.  However, when it comes to common knowledge, a simple google search will suffice. 

#10 MaynardB

MaynardB

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:07 AM

And they are feasting on the Sox. got em at almost even money. woohoo!

Their offense is red 🔥. I hope they keep swinging like this throughout the playoffs.

#11 bosd

bosd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:27 PM

Do you ride the Astros trin all the way?  or do they drop one to the Red Sox?  granted Yanks lost last nite.  1 game behind CLE.

On a side note, I haven't followed baseball since 2010.  When did the Astros become AL?  It took me a couple of days to register that they were playing AL teams and it wasn't interleague, lol.

So they did the switcharoo with the Brewers?

Kaneh-Bosm

#12 MaynardB

MaynardB

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:48 PM

I think this is their 4th or 5th season in the AL. Brewers stayed in the NL instead of moving back to AL.

It's hard to go against the Stros when they're mashing like this. When they go on a tear this year, it's lasted awhile.
  • bosd likes this

#13 bosd

bosd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

I think this is their 4th or 5th season in the AL. Brewers stayed in the NL instead of moving back to AL.

It's hard to go against the Stros when they're mashing like this. When they go on a tear this year, it's lasted awhile.

That's how much I have followed baseball in the past.  I just recall the Brew Crew being in the AL and the Stros in the NL.

You think they close out the last 2 with wins?

Kaneh-Bosm

#14 MaynardB

MaynardB

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:31 PM

That's how much I have followed baseball in the past. I just recall the Brew Crew being in the AL and the Stros in the NL.

You think they close out the last 2 with wins?

No. The Sox still have the Tanks on their tail for the division. The Stros have nothing to gain or lose by winning.

#15 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,495 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:49 PM

Lifelong Astros fan.  I used to listen while Joe Niekro and Vern Ruhle pitched on the radio.  I cried when we lost Joe Sambito and JR Richards to strokes.   Reportedly, it was from cocaine use. 

I was devasted when Roger Metzger cut his fingers off, and when the best SS the Astros ever had took one on the eye socket and ruined his career after one season and 5 games, Dickie Thon. 

And this, folks, is the best team we've ever had.   Bar none.   Yeah, the pitching isn't quite what it was back in 81 and 86 and during the 2000's, but we easily have a more complete team than we've ever had before.    Excitement abounds!!!!

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#16 MaynardB

MaynardB

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:12 PM

Lifelong Astros fan. I used to listen while Joe Niekro and Vern Ruhle pitched on the radio. I cried when we lost Joe Sambito and JR Richards to strokes. Reportedly, it was from cocaine use.

I was devasted when Roger Metzger cut his fingers off, and when the best SS the Astros ever had took one on the eye socket and ruined his career after one season and 5 games, Dickie Thon.

And this, folks, is the best team we've ever had. Bar none. Yeah, the pitching isn't quite what it was back in 81 and 86 and during the 2000's, but we easily have a more complete team than we've ever had before. Excitement abounds!!!!

My first game was the Colt 45s at mosquito park. We would have had a dynasty in the 70s if not for Spec Richardson making stupid trades.

I'm excited about this team but still don't expect them to win the pennant. After the Okie and Verlander, the SP gets too iffy for my liking. Can the offense make up for the lack of a good 3 and 4 starter? That's what we're gonna find out.

Thon was great but Correa will surpass him as best Astro SS of all time unless they move him to third or OF. In that case, Bregman will be the man.

I was crushed when Don Wilson died. Absolutely livid when we let Nolan walk.

#17 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,495 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:24 AM

My first game was the Colt 45s at mosquito park. We would have had a dynasty in the 70s if not for Spec Richardson making stupid trades.

I'm excited about this team but still don't expect them to win the pennant. After the Okie and Verlander, the SP gets too iffy for my liking. Can the offense make up for the lack of a good 3 and 4 starter? That's what we're gonna find out.

Thon was great but Correa will surpass him as best Astro SS of all time unless they move him to third or OF. In that case, Bregman will be the man.

I was crushed when Don Wilson died. Absolutely livid when we let Nolan walk.

W/ all the time they have off between games for TV now, you really only need 3 starters.    And I'm good w/ one of these as the 3rd:  Peacock, McCuller, McHugh.  

Who do you start tonite?   I think I go Keuchel.

#18 MaynardB

MaynardB

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:53 AM

If I'm going against Sale, I'd lean towards Verlander in game 1 and come back with Keuchel in game 2 but either would be a good choice. Game 3 is McHugh. Game 4 could be a piggyback with McCullers going 2 or 3 innings and Peacock taking the next 2 or 3. Both are horrible the 2nd time through the order. The wildcard is Morton. Can he give us 6 strong? The Sox present a real problem for us with 2 top leftys. We have struggled all year against lefty starters.

#19 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,495 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:57 AM

If I'm going against Sale, I'd lean towards Verlander in game 1 and come back with Keuchel in game 2 but either would be a good choice. Game 3 is McHugh. Game 4 could be a piggyback with McCullers going 2 or 3 innings and Peacock taking the next 2 or 3. Both are horrible the 2nd time through the order. The wildcard is Morton. Can he give us 6 strong? The Sox present a real problem for us with 2 top leftys. We have struggled all year against lefty starters.

I'm a bit weird about stuff like this.   Since Sale is quite obviously their best starter, I'm the type who would save our best starter, Verlander, for game 2.      That's just me, though.

Man, Morton has been unhittable, and he's been bad.     Is McC healthy?      Should we go Morton in game 3/4?       Don't know what to think.   

OK, here's the schedule:     

THURS:   Play

FRI:      Play

SAT:   Skip

SUN:    Play

MON:   Play

TUES:   Skip

WED:    Play

Keuchel is not a power pitcher, and therefore is more likely to be able to pitch on short rest for game 4 on MON.     Then, Verlander will be on full rest for game 5.    

That makes the most sense to me.  Since you'll be skipping 2 days, Verlander won't be on short rest.    

#20 MaynardB

MaynardB

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:12 PM

Keuchel spent quite a bit of time on the DL. I'm not sure I'd want him going on short rest.

Morton could be a candidate for game 4 or part of a tandem start. Hinch has some options there.

I would hate to lose game 1. It means having to win 3 of 4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users