#1 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,877 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

After 2 weeks of watching college football,  these are the 4 best teams i've seen in no particular order

1.  Bama

2. Clemson

3. USC

4.  OU

The polls have it perfect.   That would be an amazing playoff.  

#2 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:16 PM

We're a decent qb away from being in this discussion. I told you I wasn't sold on Speight but good grief I didn't expect him to be this awful.

Not sure why Harbaugh is sticking with him so defiantly. There's no way he's the best we've got. At bare minimum the other guys (Peters, true freshman Dylan McCaffrey) can't be any worse right now and at least they're bound to improve. Speight's actually managed to regress from last year

What kind of a player actually gets worse by spending more time with Jim Harbaugh?

fmj-blanket-party-o.gif

#3 jordanjssr

jordanjssr

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:58 PM

We're a decent qb away from being in this discussion. I told you I wasn't sold on Speight but good grief I didn't expect him to be this awful.

Not sure why Harbaugh is sticking with him so defiantly. There's no way he's the best we've got. At bare minimum the other guys (Peters, true freshman Dylan McCaffrey) can't be any worse right now and at least they're bound to improve. Speight's actually managed to regress from last year

What kind of a player actually gets worse by spending more time with Jim Harbaugh?

Pro mindset into the college game can be a warped thing to watch.

Saban/Harbaugh will preach at young QBs things like there is 3 things that happen when you throw it and 2 of them are bad. All the don't get us beat talk, play within yourself mumbo jumbo. You end up with a QB that is scared to make a mistake but performs flawlessly in practice at not making a mistake.

The most glaring example was Jalen Hurts turning 10+ passes into collectibles in the national championship game. 

The thing is, that kind of coaching with great recruiting, wins championships. Harbaugh has got the ball rolling, and he has shown he can fill in as seniors leave. Thing is though, it doesn't take 3 years to rebuild anymore. If you have a guy 3 years into the program, you want him to be drafted in the first round. If Harbaugh doesn't get it done this year, I don't think he will.

Football was killed by the shield.

#4 jordanjssr

jordanjssr

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:01 AM

After 2 weeks of watching college football,  these are the 4 best teams i've seen in no particular order

1.  Bama

2. Clemson

3. USC

4.  OU

The polls have it perfect.   That would be an amazing playoff.  

Georgia, Michigan, Penn State, Oklahoma State and Washington deserve consideration.

#5 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:00 AM

Georgia, Michigan, Penn State, Oklahoma State and Washington deserve consideration.

As long as Wilton Speight is qb, the Wolverines shouldn't be anywhere near the playoff
  • C42 likes this

fmj-blanket-party-o.gif

#6 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,877 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

The 4 teams I listed have the upper hand.  Obviously,  if one them loses,  then somebody moves up.  

UGA is very beatable.   Not impressed with them at all.  Its a good team and they'll challenge for the weak SEC East title.............and then get blown out by Bama. 

OU just took the air out of the Big 10.  So,  the big 10 champ is on the outside looking in until somebody loses.   OSU IMO is better than Michigan.  PSU looks good but they have to play OSU and Michigan on consecutive weekends.  Highly unlikley they go undefeated.

OU will beat OSU as usual.

USC will beat Washington

#7 jordanjssr

jordanjssr

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:10 PM

LOL, you can't count out a 1 loss Ohio state as long as Herbstriet has a breath in him. He will start that narrative of that was early in the season, they are much better now. Then he will slip off, the 3 best teams in the country are in the big ten this year.

Washington is the type of team that will give USC fits. They rarely get outcoached, and USC still isn't deep enough for an entire season yet.

My point is, it is still too early. Everyone was crowning Auburn last week to have a Heisman trophy candidate. Now they are all talking about the coach killer game of Texas A&M-Auburn.

I will even throw one more in the hat. IF south Carolina can manage the schedule. They have the necessary ingredients to beat Bama in Atlanta.

#8 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,877 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:00 PM

LOL, you can't count out a 1 loss Ohio state as long as Herbstriet has a breath in him. He will start that narrative of that was early in the season, they are much better now. Then he will slip off, the 3 best teams in the country are in the big ten this year.

Washington is the type of team that will give USC fits. They rarely get outcoached, and USC still isn't deep enough for an entire season yet.

My point is, it is still too early. Everyone was crowning Auburn last week to have a Heisman trophy candidate. Now they are all talking about the coach killer game of Texas A&M-Auburn.

I will even throw one more in the hat. IF south Carolina can manage the schedule. They have the necessary ingredients to beat Bama in Atlanta.

OSU is going to need a lot of teams to lose before they get back into the playoff picture.   They need a ton of help. And then it might come down to who has the best loss.  OSU getting beat so badly on their home field isn't going to win any tie breakers.  Plus,  after the egg they laid in last years playoff,  they aren't getting the benefit of any doubts..  Even Herbstreit can't argue his way into convincing anyone to watch OSU in another playoff and take them over a more worthy team again.

Not sure who you are referring too crowning Auburn anything.  All I got was some pre game hype trying to get people interested in Auburn's QB.  Heisman?  Nobody outside of campus thought that.  Stidham wasn't even a top 10 preseason candidate.  

I can see UW giving USC a game.  But Sam Darnold is the real deal and USC is also running the ball this year.  They crushed Stanford which is a better team than UW.  So,  i'm still taking USC to win out.  The one game that might get them is UCLA b/c Josh Rosen is that good.

I'm not even entertaining your comment about South carolina..... lmao

#9 jordanjssr

jordanjssr

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:35 PM

Not sure who you are referring too crowning Auburn anything.  All I got was some pre game hype trying to get people interested in Auburn's QB.  Heisman?  Nobody outside of campus thought that.  Stidham wasn't even a top 10 preseason candidate.  

I'm not even entertaining your comment about South carolina..... lmao

Stidham  preseason tied for 5th in vegas odds at 15-1:

http://www.espn.com/...man-trophy-odds

South Carolina always seems to have their best game against Alabama, and Buster Brown will keep the game low scoring....if they get there.

• atlantacowboy likes this

#10 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,877 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:11 AM

Stidham  preseason tied for 5th in vegas odds at 15-1:

http://www.espn.com/...man-trophy-odds

South Carolina always seems to have their best game against Alabama, and Buster Brown will keep the game low scoring....if they get there.

South Carolina won't need Buster Brown to keep the score down.  Jalen Hurts will do it for them.  The question is how will they score.

Not sure how a kid who didn't play last year is tied for 5th in pre season Heisman balloting but OKAY.   Pretty sure he's not in the top 10 right now.  

#11 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:07 PM

Agreed on Ohio State.

After getting taken apart last year by Clemson and then getting absolutely mauled on their own field last week, there's absolutely no way they should be anywhere near a playoff this year with a team that (imo) is worse than last year's team.

If anyone from the Big Ten gets consideration it should be either Penn State or Michigan, assuming they win all (or all but one of their games with a respectable loss) and as I said earlier, that's also assuming that Wilton Speight either 

A)  Gets benched, or 

B )  Gets his head screwed on straight.

Assuming neither of those options occurs, then Penn State is the only Big Ten School who should even be considered.

And frankly I thought they would have been the better choice last year, rather than the Buckeyes.

IMO, Ohio State got in last year by virtue of their 2014 title win, getting the benefit of the doubt on that one.

That was a bad call by the committee

• atlantacowboy likes this

fmj-blanket-party-o.gif

#12 boutteman

boutteman

• Moderators
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationSummerlin, NV

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

Not sold on USC. The mediots wants everyone to buy-in after the Stanford game, but Stanford isn't a measuring block in my book.

OU has plenty of the ingredients. In year's past they would choke at some point with Stoops, but I kinda' like what I've seen from the young predecessor.

Clemson won't get challenged much for the rest of the season b/c of the state the ACC is imo. After watching how they played against Auburn, its safe to assume that any team with a topD could beat them if they got something out of their QB play that didn't represent a pile of crap.

Bama will only get challenged twice this year (not including bowls), and as usual their coaching will give them the edge.

I wouldn't mind seeing PSU's offense go up against a non-BigTen topD - that would make for a pretty entertaining playoff game.

Long way to go, but i think the top 4 will only come out of a group of about 8-9 teams.

#13 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,877 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

Not sold on USC. The mediots wants everyone to buy-in after the Stanford game, but Stanford isn't a measuring block in my book.

OU has plenty of the ingredients. In year's past they would choke at some point with Stoops, but I kinda' like what I've seen from the young predecessor.

Clemson won't get challenged much for the rest of the season b/c of the state the ACC is imo. After watching how they played against Auburn, its safe to assume that any team with a topD could beat them if they got something out of their QB play that didn't represent a pile of crap.

Bama will only get challenged twice this year (not including bowls), and as usual their coaching will give them the edge.

I wouldn't mind seeing PSU's offense go up against a non-BigTen topD - that would make for a pretty entertaining playoff game.

Long way to go, but i think the top 4 will only come out of a group of about 8-9 teams.

Clemson has the best DL in college.  The offense is good enough.  They are built like Bama.  The wildcards are the teams with the difference making passing QB's.   USC, OU, and PSU have QB's that can make  dents in those defenses.  I don't think anyone else has a chance.  

Update:  watching USC struggle on offense at home against the Texas defense.   They wouldn't have a chance against Bama or Clemson.  I think PSU is going to jump them if they beat Michigan and OSU.

#14 boutteman

boutteman

• Moderators
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationSummerlin, NV

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:58 AM

Yep, Trojans struggling to beat a team Maryland blew out, and like I figured with this year's Stanford team (lost to San Diego St) = too much talent has left that program w/o being properly replaced.

#15 jordanjssr

jordanjssr

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

To be honest, I am not sold on anyone yet. I see potential, and I see some with easier roads than others(Clemson,Oklahoma). Is Miss State for real? They get Alabama after their bye and after Alabama goes to war against LSU. Could be toughest games Bama has back to back. Georgia/Miss state winner should be in conversation moving forward.

Same as Penn State, sometimes the best team has the worst schedule.

USC, I just remember how vividly, that a team can be inconsistent because of scholarship depth. I think they will lose more than one because of it. I think they are a year away, unless Darnold is gone.

#16 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,877 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

To be honest, I am not sold on anyone yet. I see potential, and I see some with easier roads than others(Clemson,Oklahoma). Is Miss State for real? They get Alabama after their bye and after Alabama goes to war against LSU. Could be toughest games Bama has back to back. Georgia/Miss state winner should be in conversation moving forward.

Same as Penn State, sometimes the best team has the worst schedule.

USC, I just remember how vividly, that a team can be inconsistent because of scholarship depth. I think they will lose more than one because of it. I think they are a year away, unless Darnold is gone.

Is MSU your new South Carolina?  :D

#17 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,877 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

My top 4 after week 2 in order:

1.  Clemson

2. Bama

3. OU

4. PSU

#18 boutteman

boutteman

• Moderators
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationSummerlin, NV

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

Is Miss State for real? They get Alabama after their bye and after Alabama goes to war against LSU. Could be toughest games Bama has back to back. Georgia/Miss state winner should be in conversation moving forward.

MissSt is a solid team, but they were aided by multiple factors in that beating of LSU that made it seem better than it really was.... if I told you MSU was allowed to extend drives that LSU D already stopped them on, and from those drives 20 points resulted; as well as LSU's 2 long scoring TD plays that were called back due to outright incorrect decisions = then go look at what the score could've been.

Apart from multiple LSU players laughably getting ejected and the highly skewed actions of the zebras, after watching that game I walked away with the knowledge that Canada (LSU OC) isn't any sort of savior, Aranda (LSU DC) thought he could get away with continuing to only call 3 defensive formations due to the number of Freshman playing D and Coach O doesn't really do much of anything during the games b/c he has given so much control to the coordinators.

Even in this bad loss, I did see some positive glimpses from LSU QB (apart from his random Dak-like inaccuracy), he was hitting LSU WRs in the hands (or head, lol) on key plays and they just failed to make the catch and continue drives.

Didn't think I would be saying this this year, but I am more worried about the LSU defense than offense.  LSU has no true dominant interior DL, and while their outside LBs are quality their inside LBs get easily lost and there are 2 or 3 DBs that need to sit in the film room and get a clue on their responsibilities instead of just relying on pure physical ability.

In general, it was kinda' weird how that game mirrored the Cowboy game b/c it was like the Boys/LSU couldn't get out of their funk on offense and didn't have the correct in-game adjustments on defense.

• jordanjssr and atlantacowboy like this

#19 jordanjssr

jordanjssr

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:14 PM

Is MSU your new South Carolina?  :D

Hey, I capitalized BOTH letters in IF.

There always has to be a threat somewhere. There is a boogeyman in a helmet, you just have to look for it long enough.

#20 jordanjssr

jordanjssr

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:17 PM

MissSt is a solid team, but they were aided by multiple factors in that beating of LSU that made it seem better than it really was.... if I told you MSU was allowed to extend drives that LSU D already stopped them on, and from those drives 20 points resulted; as well as LSU's 2 long scoring TD plays that were called back due to outright incorrect decisions = then go look at what the score could've been.

Apart from multiple LSU players laughably getting ejected and the highly skewed actions of the zebras, after watching that game I walked away with the knowledge that Canada (LSU OC) isn't any sort of savior, Aranda (LSU DC) thought he could get away with continuing to only call 3 defensive formations due to the number of Freshman playing D and Coach O doesn't really do much of anything during the games b/c he has given so much control to the coordinators.

Even in this bad loss, I did see some positive glimpses from LSU QB (apart from his random Dak-like inaccuracy), he was hitting LSU WRs in the hands (or head, lol) on key plays and they just failed to make the catch and continue drives.

Didn't think I would be saying this this year, but I am more worried about the LSU defense than offense.  LSU has no true dominant interior DL, and while their outside LBs are quality their inside LBs get easily lost and there are 2 or 3 DBs that need to sit in the film room and get a clue on their responsibilities instead of just relying on pure physical ability.

In general, it was kinda' weird how that game mirrored the Cowboy game b/c it was like the Boys/LSU couldn't get out of their funk on offense and didn't have the correct in-game adjustments on defense.

Kind of looked like LSU was off. Don't know if they were looking pass Miss State, and got caught flat footed. Looked like the QB won't get you beat though.

I will say Fitzgerald played a great game against Alabama last year. The receivers dropped beautiful throws on him all game. He might be one of those guys that gets up for big games. I am curious to see what Kirby Smart thinks will work against him. I think Georgia has to keep it low scoring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users