50 replies to this topic

#21 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

Dont all football fans call out plays before the play is ran?  Just seems like a common thing among myself and friends.  And on top of that I can remember as a kid hearing my aunts, uncles, dad, grandma ect ect calling out plays before they happened.  This is nothing new.  I would be shocked if Romo has not been doing this as a fan his whole life.

Sure they do.

THey're just not right, every single time, for an entire game.

• cowboyscrzygal, Deathmonkey, Harpospoke and 1 other like this

jim-harbaugh-booger.jpg

Jim Harbaugh is a nose picking, booger eating, overrated piece of crap.

#FireHarbaugh  

#22 cwbyfan88

cwbyfan88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,145 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

Meh, anyone with very good knowledge of the game, especially experienced pro QBs, could have figured each play out. Those calls were very obvious which way they were going based on what the defense was showing pre-snap.

And yet Simms who played longer than romo never gave you much in the booth.
  • cowboyfan927 likes this

#23 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts
  • LocationChatham, ontario

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

Dayammm! Romo must have a copy of the Raiders playbook. I hope he studies the Bronco's and calls their plays out to Marinelli on Sunday. He could be our 12th man from the booth and no one would even know  :D

#24 One ✭ Star

One ✭ Star

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts
  • LocationThe Southern Tip of Texas

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

And yet Simms who played longer than romo never gave you much in the booth.

I expect it from Romo since he's well known to have been one of the best minds in the game during his time.

Phil Simms? Not so much. Had he been able to do what Romo did, then I would have been surprised.

✭ HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS! ✭

#25 Warlord101

Warlord101

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:41 PM

Dak is no where near as good as Romo YET

He's better than Romo at the same stages of their careers tho. That's without a doubt
  • One ✭ Star likes this

#26 Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,753 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:50 PM

and they were idiots on here who said Tony couldn't read defenses....  "you know who you are"

• Relayer and mrsouthpaw like this

A vital team characteristic is the ability to overcome adversity. Any team acquires experience and endurance as it learns to fight back. This in turn builds the kind of character which seldom crumbles at a time of crisis or testing.
Tom Landry

Tom_Landry

Garrett is the basketball coach leading the game with 29 seconds left in the game. He runs a play to score again instead of running the clock out. The opposing team gets the rebound and drives the court to win.
This is Garrett, but the excuse would be "well if he had scored we would have won."  smh.

________________________________________________________________________________________

rides2.gif

#27 CouchCoach

CouchCoach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,084 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

Meh, anyone with very good knowledge of the game, especially experienced pro QBs, could have figured each play out. Those calls were very obvious which way they were going based on what the defense was showing pre-snap.

LMAO.  I am hatin' on Romo regardless of anything he does.  I am convinced now that he owes you money.

• oldschoolfan64 and mrsouthpaw like this

#28 Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,753 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:55 PM

just found the game.. I'm goinna watch it... should be interesting..

A vital team characteristic is the ability to overcome adversity. Any team acquires experience and endurance as it learns to fight back. This in turn builds the kind of character which seldom crumbles at a time of crisis or testing.
Tom Landry

Tom_Landry

Garrett is the basketball coach leading the game with 29 seconds left in the game. He runs a play to score again instead of running the clock out. The opposing team gets the rebound and drives the court to win.
This is Garrett, but the excuse would be "well if he had scored we would have won."  smh.

________________________________________________________________________________________

rides2.gif

#29 heathgs

heathgs

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,556 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

and they were idiots on here who said Tony couldn't read defenses....  "you know who you are"

yeah, all it took was a little knowledge of Tony and what he did.  Just listening to his interviews, like his recollection of the 4th down play against GB in 2014, or fantasy football camp and getting inside information from players regarding what defenses they will struggle or excel against based upon the formations they like to run.   He also spent time during the Broncos/Carolina SB a couple years ago discussing the game while it was going on. He was calling the formations and what the teams were trying to accomplish, how to attack, etc.

• Grandpaw_G_Bundy likes this

#30 LegendaryLandry

LegendaryLandry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

I heard some of his audio and though it was impressive - I don't want to hear him predicting the plays before every snap. Can he add something useful to the conversation ? Just thought this was a weird approach to calling a game.

Well he can alway talk golf. He is good at that. Pretty sure you football folks wont mind!

50 yard TD to dez and romo yells out "TIGER WOODS!!!"
Yes id like to order my Cowboy Blinders please...Heavy on the tent...how much you say?

#31 CouchCoach

CouchCoach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 29,084 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

He's better than Romo at the same stages of their careers tho. That's without a doubt

Different college experiences and prep.  Dak is more physically gifted than Tony and if they'd thrown Romo out there in his rookie season, I doubt he would have survived in the NFL.

Best thing about this is we got them both and since they didn't play at the same time like Morton and Staubach, we don't have to pick one over the other.  Not fair to compare their knowledge at this point because Romo had to learn over a longer period of time than Dak has had.  And Romo used to get played by DC's a lot.  He had to learn to read to survive and thrive.  He never had the OL or run game to give him time except when he had Murray in 2014, which was his best year ever.

I don't know if he's going to continue calling the plays before the snap but that is definitely something new to broadcasting the games and most wouldn't do that for fear of being wrong.  Romo has never had the fear of being wrong.

• cowboyscrzygal, beware d-ware and Warlord101 like this

#32 MarcusRock

MarcusRock

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,839 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:05 PM

I heard some of his audio and though it was impressive - I don't want to hear him predicting the plays before every snap. Can he add something useful to the conversation ? Just thought this was a weird approach to calling a  game.

I heard him call the entire game and after thinking about it, I agree.  He did do it too often.  I think it would be good to talk about it on replays, especially for scores but blurting out something right away just because you recognize it can get old pretty quick.

Yes. When the Cowboys get near the goal line I call out "force ball to Dez".

That made me laugh out loud.

• heathgs, mrsouthpaw and One ✭ Star like this

Jason Garrett - Mr. Positivity --> NO, JUST NO!

(j/k)

k45i52tv4edotwl6g.jpg

Aaron Rodgers: The Sultan of Smug

kor86282w8tf93b6g.jpg

#33 foofighters

foofighters

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

So by reading some of these posts, it's not ok to cheer on Romo in the both AND Dak on the field, right?  I got jumped last year by a few of the Romo lovers and Dak lovers for wishing the best for both guys.

• cowboyfan927 likes this

#34 CouchCoach

CouchCoach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 29,084 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:29 PM

Romo could have belched, farted, had an attack of Tourette's and done 3 Stooge imitations in Nantz's face all night and been better than that embarrassment that ESPN put on last night in the DEN-LAC game,

I have no problem with a woman doing play-by-play but not that woman and Ryan was awful, really awful.  His mock pep talk to the team in the pregame is why he's no longer coaching.  He gave that for real, half the team would go out to their vehicles and listen to game on the radio.

#35 Haimerej

Haimerej

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,574 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

Yes. When the Cowboys get near the goal line I call out "force ball to Dez".

Lol

#36 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

Romo could have belched, farted, had an attack of Tourette's and done 3 Stooge imitations in Nantz's face all night and been better than that embarrassment that ESPN put on last night in the DEN-LAC game,

I have no problem with a woman doing play-by-play but not that woman and Ryan was awful, really awful.  His mock pep talk to the team in the pregame is why he's no longer coaching.  He gave that for real, half the team would go out to their vehicles and listen to game on the radio.

I also LOL'd when the gal "subtly" commented that they were having trouble keeping Rex on his mark for the proper camera angle.

It was like a comedy of errors from the start.

• charleshaleyfan likes this

jim-harbaugh-booger.jpg

Jim Harbaugh is a nose picking, booger eating, overrated piece of crap.

#FireHarbaugh  

#37 Harpospoke

Harpospoke

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:10 PM

Romo is in great company with Jimmy, Troy, Michael & the Moose & Deion.  Be thankful we still have them in our NFL lives on game days.

Right?   The Cowboys  certainly pump out broadcasters.

#38 cowboyscrzygal

cowboyscrzygal

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,674 posts
  • LocationKaty, Texas

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:15 PM

Romo's FBIQ is higher than Dak's, but Dak is better because he's better physically and not injury prone at this point of his career. And Dak can QB run unlike Romo.

And Dak in this conversation is related, how? 

• Grandpaw_G_Bundy and cowboyfan927 like this

"Don't stop believin'...." ~ Journey

BxuYI02.gif

#39 cowboyscrzygal

cowboyscrzygal

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,674 posts
  • LocationKaty, Texas

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

So by reading some of these posts, it's not ok to cheer on Romo in the both AND Dak on the field, right?  I got jumped last year by a few of the Romo lovers and Dak lovers for wishing the best for both guys.

Not by this gal, ;)

• charleshaleyfan likes this

"Don't stop believin'...." ~ Journey

BxuYI02.gif

#40 oldschoolfan64

oldschoolfan64

• Moderators
  • 11,860 posts
  • LocationTexas Panhandle

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:22 PM

No surprise, this is what he did on the sideline for Dak all last year. He even told Dak what to expect from a DC in certain situations, who they would send, who to watch etc...

Unfortunately, Romo is a subject we can't seem to discuss on this board without arguments and complaints. I'm going to head those off by moving this to "Rest of The NFL" before someone starts screaming that this belongs in the non-existent Sub Forum because the name "Romo" gives them hives and makes their urine dark.

• Juggernaut, Grandpaw_G_Bundy, cowboyfan927 and 1 other like this
Been a Dallas fan all my life...will remain a Dallas fan till I die.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users