49 replies to this topic

#41 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,027 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

So by reading some of these posts, it's not ok to cheer on Romo in the both AND Dak on the field, right?  I got jumped last year by a few of the Romo lovers and Dak lovers for wishing the best for both guys.

If it's not OK, then I"m not OK either, because, like you, I'm pulling like heck for them both to succeed in their current positions.

• charleshaleyfan and Deathmonkey like this

fmj-blanket-party-o.gif

#42 capcomeback

capcomeback

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:04 PM

Tony still has it.

#43 MarcusRock

MarcusRock

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:19 PM

No surprise, this is what he did on the sideline for Dak all last year. He even told Dak what to expect from a DC in certain situations, who they would send, who to watch etc...

Unfortunately, Romo is a subject we can't seem to discuss on this board without arguments and complaints. I'm going to head those off by moving this to "Rest of The NFL" before someone starts screaming that this belongs in the non-existent Sub Forum because the name "Romo" gives them hives and makes their urine dark.

What you got against dark urine?  If you're ever lost in a snowy wilderness, it might save your life by marking a clearly defined trail to your whereabouts.  As long as a polar bear doesn't find the trail before your rescuers.

• cowboyfan927, Deathmonkey, oldschoolfan64 and 1 other like this

Jason Garrett - Mr. Positivity --> NO, JUST NO!

(j/k)

k45i52tv4edotwl6g.jpg

Aaron Rodgers: The Sultan of Smug

kor86282w8tf93b6g.jpg

#44 CouchCoach

CouchCoach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,095 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:47 PM

I heard him call the entire game and after thinking about it, I agree.  He did do it too often.  I think it would be good to talk about it on replays, especially for scores but blurting out something right away just because you recognize it can get old pretty quick.

That made me laugh out loud.

I didn't hear it but it does sound like overkill and a little bit showing off, not that I think that's his intention.  I think he's looking for how he fits and it might not be the best thing working with one of his best buddies who wants him to do so well.   If he wants to do that, he should save it for the critical plays like 3rd downs and RZ plays but he should be more judicious when doing it.

The guys doing the games spend a lot of time dissecting film and know some tendencies going into the games and also know what plays the teams are set to run out of certain formations.  And his film study is a lot different than most of the color guys.

The problem now is that it has gone public what he did and the net will want a certain amount of that to satisfy the viewers that will tune in out of curiosity.  But, it could become annoying.  And it could also limit Romo's access to some of the coaches if they feel he's doing more than reporting after the fact.  All of the broadcast people get to see certain plays run in practice with the understanding that they will not talk about them until after they've been run.

I haven't heard Romo yet but I already knew he'd be better than Gruden and Simms.  Aikman has got the talk/not talk part of it down better than anyone.  Moose could learn form listening to him do it.  Moose talks too much and is too inside for the average fan.  

Rex Ryan sounded as uncomfortable as Dennis Miller last night and he surely wasn't getting any help from his play-by-play partner who sounded like she decided to go to the back of the booth and leave the mic up front.  I've heard her do some SEC games on the SEC Net and she has that same problem.  She is knowledgeable but has a very weak voice.  Doesn't get much better with breakthrough voices for play-by-play than Buck and Michaels. I do not have to work to hear anything they say.

And the mystery of mysteries are two ex players that are broadcasters.  Why in the hell did Faulk hate the Cowboys so much and Romo in particular and why is Collinsworth such a Cowboys fan?  I can't see any connections between the men and the team.

#45 45yearCowboyFan

45yearCowboyFan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:26 PM

Hank Stram used to tell what the play was before it was ran also. 

#46 Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,286 posts
  • LocationPJG Stealth Ops.

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:31 PM

I didn't hear it but it does sound like overkill and a little bit showing off, not that I think that's his intention.  I think he's looking for how he fits and it might not be the best thing working with one of his best buddies who wants him to do so well.   If he wants to do that, he should save it for the critical plays like 3rd downs and RZ plays but he should be more judicious when doing it.

The guys doing the games spend a lot of time dissecting film and know some tendencies going into the games and also know what plays the teams are set to run out of certain formations.  And his film study is a lot different than most of the color guys.

The problem now is that it has gone public what he did and the net will want a certain amount of that to satisfy the viewers that will tune in out of curiosity.  But, it could become annoying.  And it could also limit Romo's access to some of the coaches if they feel he's doing more than reporting after the fact.  All of the broadcast people get to see certain plays run in practice with the understanding that they will not talk about them until after they've been run.

I haven't heard Romo yet but I already knew he'd be better than Gruden and Simms.  Aikman has got the talk/not talk part of it down better than anyone.  Moose could learn form listening to him do it.  Moose talks too much and is too inside for the average fan.  

Rex Ryan sounded as uncomfortable as Dennis Miller last night and he surely wasn't getting any help from his play-by-play partner who sounded like she decided to go to the back of the booth and leave the mic up front.  I've heard her do some SEC games on the SEC Net and she has that same problem.  She is knowledgeable but has a very weak voice.  Doesn't get much better with breakthrough voices for play-by-play than Buck and Michaels. I do not have to work to hear anything they say.

And the mystery of mysteries are two ex players that are broadcasters.  Why in the hell did Faulk hate the Cowboys so much and Romo in particular and why is Collinsworth such a Cowboys fan?  I can't see any connections between the men and the team.

Romo should have gone into coaching. I understand why he didn't, but that's a waste of all of that knowledge.  Of course, maybe he's demonstrating what he can do in order to remind teams the importance of knowledge in a QB.  

• cowboyfan927 and yeah_malvy like this

#47 Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,457 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:47 PM

i watch some of the game. He didn't call out what was going to happen on all the plays. He did a great job bu that isn't good enough for the detractors.  smh....

• yeah_malvy likes this

A vital team characteristic is the ability to overcome adversity. Any team acquires experience and endurance as it learns to fight back. This in turn builds the kind of character which seldom crumbles at a time of crisis or testing.
Tom Landry

Tom_Landry

Garrett is the basketball coach leading the game with 29 seconds left in the game. He runs a play to score again instead of running the clock out. The opposing team gets the rebound and drives the court to win.
This is Garrett, but the excuse would be "well if he had scored we would have won."  smh.

________________________________________________________________________________________

rides2.gif

#48 mrsouthpaw

mrsouthpaw

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 27,487 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around here

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:56 PM

Romo's FBIQ is higher than Dak's, but Dak is better because he's better physically and not injury prone at this point of his career. And Dak can QB run unlike Romo.

LOL

Dak has only played 19 games. 

#49 mrsouthpaw

mrsouthpaw

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 27,487 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around here

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:00 PM

Meh, anyone with very good knowledge of the game, especially experienced pro QBs, could have figured each play out. Those calls were very obvious which way they were going based on what the defense was showing pre-snap.

Uh yeah. 

#50 Juggernaut

Juggernaut

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,094 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:15 AM

No surprise, this is what he did on the sideline for Dak all last year. He even told Dak what to expect from a DC in certain situations, who they would send, who to watch etc...

Unfortunately, Romo is a subject we can't seem to discuss on this board without arguments and complaints. I'm going to head those off by moving this to "Rest of The NFL" before someone starts screaming that this belongs in the non-existent Sub Forum because the name "Romo" gives them hives and makes their urine dark.

Reminds me of when a kid destroys a valuable and their parent says, "See, this is why we can't have nice things."

• oldschoolfan64 and yeah_malvy like this

Qm9qBfi.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users