#1 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:57 PM

The former Cowboys first-round pick’s season was derailed by a four-game suspension for a violation of the NFL’s substance abuse policy and an injury to his back, and he recorded just one sack.

With the Cowboys’ defensive line depth once again decimated by suspensions to start 2017, the Cowboys wondered if Lawrence would still struggle like he did last year, or if he would flash the potential they saw when in 2015, when he played a whole season and had eight sacks.

The Cowboys quickly got their answer Sunday night.

Lawrence sacked New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning twice in the first half of Dallas’ 19-3 win and was credited with two more quarterback hits.

“You have to be happy for DeMarcus, his road has not been easy,” owner Jerry Jones said. “When we drafted him, we hoped he could get it together and be what he is now.”

Charles Tapper, who made his NFL debut after missing his rookie season last year with a back injury, recorded the Cowboys’ other sack on Manning in what was a surprisingly dominant defensive performance.

The pass rush was a particularly big question for the Cowboys after the suspensions of David Irving (four games), Damontre Moore (two games) and troubled defensive end Randy Gregory, who has been banished for at least a year.

The Cowboys used a first-round pick in April on defensive end Taco Charlton, but needed Lawrence and Tapper and others to emerge as well. On Sunday, the Cowboys defense held the Giants, who were playing without star receiver Odell Beckham Jr., to just a field goal and 224 total yards.

“I think there is a lot of unknown with so many young guys,” safety Jeff Heath said. “I don’t know if we’re underrated, overrated or whatever, but we just try to play our defense and those are the kind of results we get when we play well.”

https://www.usatoday...line/652564001/
  • Needmorerings and Silhouette like this
<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#2 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,593 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:07 PM

It was good to see #90 have a great game. It's been a long time coming. He's healthy now and it's a contract year for him, so he should be very motivated.

• Silhouette likes this

#3 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationChatham, ontario

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

He stepped up in a big way. One of the keys to our 2017 defense is D Law. We still haven't seen what the guy can do in a completely healthy year. Too soon to think about any kind of contract in 2018, let's see how it goes in 2017 with his health. Can he be a 10 sack guy consistently when he's healthy? I don't see why not. 

For me it's funny that the two of the guys who can help this D MOST when they're healthy are Lawrence and Crawford. Fans can go ahead and hate on them all they want but I'm betting some of the same fans who hate on them are going to sing a different song if they're both healthy. Does the fan's whine change anything, no, fortunately not, no more than the homerism. 

Just win baby

• Silhouette likes this

#4 THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts
  • LocationBeaumont Texas

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:47 PM

Mr. 90 whom this thread is about was drafted in the second round. He did look good out there but at last it's one game. Him and Collins on the same side should wreck havoc all year long though.IMO.
  • ironman366 and Silhouette like this

#5 Needmorerings

Needmorerings

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationDeep South

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

It was good to see #90 have a great game. It's been a long time coming. He's healthy now and it's a contract year for him, so he should be very motivated.

I wondered what inspired him to rise above mediocrity.  Contract year, baby!   Show us what you've got and don't let up.

#6 buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,849 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:57 PM

The former Cowboys first-round pick’s season was derailed by a four-game suspension for a violation of the NFL’s substance abuse policy and an injury to his back, and he recorded just one sack.

With the Cowboys’ defensive line depth once again decimated by suspensions to start 2017, the Cowboys wondered if Lawrence would still struggle like he did last year, or if he would flash the potential they saw when in 2015, when he played a whole season and had eight sacks.

Smart money had Lawrence playing more like the end of 2015, the *last time he was healthy*. 

Best DE on the team. Well rounded run/pass too. 

• Silhouette likes this

Dead cap money is *dead*. It's not resurrected by keeping a guy on the team and paying him a salary this year, it is only pushed off onto a future year, and now you've added this year's salary to his cumulative cap hit. 

#7 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

I wondered what inspired him to rise above mediocrity. Contract year, baby! Show us what you've got and don't let up.

He's just a good player, same as his 2nd year.
Nothing to do with a contract.

#8 Silhouette

Silhouette

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

Health. Contract year. An overall disappointment in his performance thus far or the opposition he faced. It was nice to see him make an impact. I hope that this is the start of a great season for him and that Tyrone Crawford can find a way to turn it around as well. What a big shot in the arm that would be with reinforcements set to return.
  • northerncowboynation likes this

#9 buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,849 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

For me it's funny that the two of the guys who can help this D MOST when they're healthy are Lawrence and Crawford. 

Just win baby

As long as we've got Collins for 3tech, and a deep DE rotation, Crawford doesn't really add that much. He got 40% of the snaps. Fewer than Taco, Mayowa, Lawrence, Paea, and Collins. He'll be even less useful when Irving comes back.

He's a 3-4 DE. He's on the wrong team. He's most useful as Maliek's backup, who took almost 90% of the snaps.

https://www.pro-foot...snap-counts.htm

I'd rather have a healthy Scandrick. When Odell comes back, let Scandrick ghost him. He's very good at the small, quick WRs.

Dead cap money is *dead*. It's not resurrected by keeping a guy on the team and paying him a salary this year, it is only pushed off onto a future year, and now you've added this year's salary to his cumulative cap hit. 

#10 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:28 PM

As long as we've got Collins for 3tech, and a deep DE rotation, Crawford doesn't really add that much. He got 40% of the snaps. Fewer than Taco, Mayowa, Lawrence, Paea, and Collins. He'll be even less useful when Irving comes back.

He's a 3-4 DE. He's on the wrong team. He's most useful as Maliek's backup, who took almost 90% of the snaps.

I'd rather have a healthy Scandrick. When Odell comes back, let Scandrick ghost him. He's very good at the small, quick WRs.

Do you think his lack of snaps has to do with him coming back from injury? They limited Durant to two snaps while coming off injury, limited awuzie also while coming back.
He's listed as the starter on the cowboys official site, I'd venture to say that his snaps will increase instead of decrease. Or they are going in a different direction as you said.

Hell he played less than half the snaps of Collins, yet put up the better stats and minus the roughing the passer penalty that Collins drew.

#11 buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,849 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:55 PM

Do you think his lack of snaps has to do with him coming back from injury? 

That occurred to me. We'll see. 

I just look at the roster, and I don't see Crawford getting snaps. Too slow on the edge, and this year, unlike last year, we actually have a lot of decent alternatives. 

I see him as a 3 tech on our defense. Probably pretty good too, now that he's healthy. Healthy he might take a few more snaps from Collins, but Collins plays well and is the future.

In the offseason, I kept waiting for them to put Crawford or Collins at more 1tech, to get our best players on the field at the same time. Never materialized. 

And in the game, Paea got 70%, and even Brian Price got 20%. Price just got here and he got half the snaps of Crawford. And the Giants threw the whole game, where Crawford would have his best chance of being preferred over them. 

I don't see him here next year. Should be a 3-4 DE somewhere else. 

#12 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationChatham, ontario

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:54 PM

T Craw got the second most snaps on the D in 2016 and with an injured shoulder. That's how valuable he is.

#13 ironman366

ironman366

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

Need to see Mr DLaw finish the season strong and not on IR or hobbled by injuries.  

#14 glimmerman70

glimmerman70

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,367 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:47 PM

Contract year.

"Big Ben Sucks, says ES!"  ES is smart...

#15 oldschoolfan64

oldschoolfan64

• Moderators
  • 11,656 posts
  • LocationTexas Panhandle

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:10 AM

I need to see what he can do against O-lines who can pick up a stunt, and know how to stop a speed rush. I like Lawrence, and hope he improves and becomes that pass rusher we all thought he would be, but the fact remains that the guy blocking him was placing his left leg so far back to compensate for the speed rush, that he lost leverage and position. I've seen Lawrence look great, and I've seen him struggle...it all depends on who he is up against.

Been a Dallas fan all my life...will remain a Dallas fan till I die.

#16 buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,849 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:07 AM

T Craw got the second most snaps on the D in 2016 and with an injured shoulder. That's how valuable he is.

My calendar says 2017. In 2017: 

"He got 40% of the snaps. Fewer than Taco, Mayowa, Lawrence, Paea, and Collins. He'll be even less useful when Irving comes back."

#17 Runwildboys

Runwildboys

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,078 posts
  • LocationPJG - East Coast Chapter

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:48 PM

All I have to say is that, as much as I hope DLaw will be a beast, it's not what I'd consider "stepping up" to do what you get paid to do.

wOZF2v4.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users