#1 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,593 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

Between the three seasons of 2012-2014, Dez Bryant averaged 91 catches per season, averaged about 1,300 yards and about 14 TDs per season. Dez was arguably the best offensive player we had in that period, challenged perhaps only by two guys who are now gone: DeMarco Murray and Tony Romo. Dez was a flat out warrior each week, playing in all 48 games in that stretch, and was one of the keys to a Cowboys victory in every game we played.

But now, this team has improved so much through the draft the last few years, the need for Dez Bryant to be a superstar in order for us to win has changed. No knock on Dez at all. I'm still glad we have him! But if he has a less than stellar day on any given week, or god forbid he's hurt, it no longer dictates whether or not we will win. 

Here's some evidence of what I mean:

1. In the last 2 seasons, a couple of foot injuries caused Dez to miss 10 games and we saw his production drop dramtically as a result.

2. But last year, without Dez, the Cowboys were 3-0, and in several games last year, he did not have a stellar day, but the team still won. 

3. Sunday night, once again the midgets' CB Janoris Jenkins pretty much held Dez to a below average game- (2 catches, 43 yards, no TDs) Yet the Cowboys won handily.

I am in no way saying we no longer need Dez, I'm not kncking him in any way. Just pointing out that our Dallas Cowboys have become such a good offensive force, it does not require a big day from #88 to win a game. 

That's how much this team has improved!

#2 TNCowboyfan

TNCowboyfan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:18 PM

Good post. 

We do have several weapons on the team now and Dak knows how to spread the ball around. Look at the game TW had in the first half and that was after limping off the field. 

Pretty well rounded offense from top to bottom. 

#3 souporbowl

souporbowl

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:20 PM

Dez doesn't have to have 150 yards or 3 TD's/game to have an impact...being on the field is more than enough....

Being objective - that is truly one of the most difficult things about being a Cowboy fan....

#4 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,045 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:47 PM

Dez doesn't have to have 150 yards or 3 TD's/game to have an impact...being on the field is more than enough....

Orton, Weeden, Cassel, and Moore agree.

#5 cowboyJohn

cowboyJohn

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

I think we are closer to running a Patriots offense where there are no primary WR stars, but lots of productive options. Dak has shown the ability early to spread the ball around effectively, which requires him to read defenses. So I am not as worried that we need a superstar, but if not, then we must have several good viable options to threaten teams with in different situations. That way they cannot double team just Witten or load the box to stop Zeke and beat us, because one of the other weapons will show up and cause defenses to pick their poison in defending us.

#6 oldschoolfan64

oldschoolfan64

• Moderators
  • 11,645 posts
  • LocationTexas Panhandle

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

Between the three seasons of 2012-2014, Dez Bryant averaged 91 catches per season, averaged about 1,300 yards and about 14 TDs per season. Dez was arguably the best offensive player we had in that period, challenged perhaps only by two guys who are now gone: DeMarco Murray and Tony Romo. Dez was a flat out warrior each week, playing in all 48 games in that stretch, and was one of the keys to a Cowboys victory in every game we played.

But now, this team has improved so much through the draft the last few years, the need for Dez Bryant to be a superstar in order for us to win has changed. No knock on Dez at all. I'm still glad we have him! But if he has a less than stellar day on any given week, or god forbid he's hurt, it no longer dictates whether or not we will win. 

1. In the last 2 seasons, a couple of foot injuries caused Dez to miss 10 games and we saw his production drop dramtically as a result.

2. But last year, without Dez, the Cowboys were 3-0, and in several games last year, he did not have a stellar day, but the team still won. 

3. Sunday night, once again the midgets' CB Janoris Jenkins pretty much held Dez to a below average game- (2 catches, 43 yards, no TDs) Yet the Cowboys won handily.

I am in no way saying we no longer need Dez, I'm not kncking him in any way. Just pointing out that our Dallas Cowboys have become such a good offensive force, it does not require a big day from #88 to win a game. 

Careful Bob...you might get some negative feedback on this one. You are basically saying the same thing I have lately...this Offensive scheme has moved past needing a "Highlight reel" WR to win. With the best run game since Emmitt, the emergence of Beasley, the reliability of Witten, and the improvements of TWill, this Offense can move the chains, sustain drives and score points without relying on Dez to do it.

We saw the Giants have fallen into the old Dallas mode of poor blocking, no run game and becoming one dimensional when their premier receiver is out. Thankfully, those days for Dallas are past now, and the #1 WR can be used as bait, a distraction to the D, and on shorter pass plays where he can use his size and strength to gain yards.While I don't think it's time to get rid of Dez, I think it may be time to draft a groomable replacement.

• Bobhaze likes this
Been a Dallas fan all my life...will remain a Dallas fan till I die.

#7 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,593 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:02 PM

Careful Bob...you might get some negative feedback on this one. You are basically saying the same thing I have lately...this Offensive scheme has moved past needing a "Highlight reel" WR to win. With the best run game since Emmitt, the emergence of Beasley, the reliability of Witten, and the improvements of TWill, this Offense can move the chains, sustain drives and score points without relying on Dez to do it.

We saw the Giants have fallen into the old Dallas mode of poor blocking, no run game and becoming one dimensional when their premier receiver is out. Thankfully, those days for Dallas are past now, and the #1 WR can be used as bait, a distraction to the D, and on shorter pass plays where he can use his size and strength to gain yards.While I don't think it's time to get rid of Dez, I think it may be time to draft a groomable replacement.

Great points Old School...The midgets Sun night looked like we did back in 2013. No junior Odell, no Offense. Times have changed in Big D.

• oldschoolfan64 likes this

#8 oldschoolfan64

oldschoolfan64

• Moderators
  • 11,645 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

Great points Old School...The midgets Sun night looked like we did back in 2013. No junior Odell, no Offense. Times have changed in Big D.

The biggest difference in the current Giants team and Dallas back when, was Dallas had a young QB at the time who could escape and make plays out of nothing. Eli looked like an old deer in the headlights.LOL

• Bobhaze likes this

#9 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,593 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:13 PM

The biggest difference in the current Giants team and Dallas back when, was Dallas had a young QB at the time who could escape and make plays out of nothing. Eli looked like an old deer in the headlights.LOL

Yeah and that old deer got plowed many times. I bet Eli spends the majority of this week in the cold tub and looking at the waiver wire for any OL!

• teeroy and oldschoolfan64 like this

#10 oldschoolfan64

oldschoolfan64

• Moderators
  • 11,645 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:15 PM

Yeah and that old deer got plowed many times. I bet Eli spends the majority of this week in the cold tub and looking at the waiver wire for any OL!

He should call Doug Free..I hear he's available. LOL

• Bobhaze likes this

#11 Rawhide 74

Rawhide 74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Location15 miles from the Linc

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:20 PM

All true Bullet we are no longer a desperate team that depends on high risk jump balls to Dez .  Power running and a QB with a firm grasp on ball security and Risk vs Reward have made him a wonderful luxury rather than a necessity .

A hard to cover slot receiver and the best TE in football also take the pressure off him

#12 NewEnglandCowboy

NewEnglandCowboy

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire ~ Live Free or Die!

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:21 PM

My only issue with Dez, is his salary... If hes not highlighted we are wasting massive cap we could be using to sign up younger talent.  He should restructure or something, our Rookie Stars will be up for pay day soon!

#13 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,593 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

My only issue with Dez, is his salary... If hes not highlighted we are wasting massive cap we could be using to sign up younger talent. He should restructure or something, our Rookie Stars will be up for pay day soon!

There's no question Dez has underperformed his contract- so far. I still think Dez is going to have a really good year but I also think it's not far fetched to see Dez become a cap casualty or major restructuring in 2019. Probably about the time Dak is going to be negotiating a big new contract. Zeke? I hope he gets his act together because if his off field behavior does not improve, he's not going to be
getting a big pay day, either because he can't be trusted or his partying is going to take a toll on his body. We'll see.
  • NewEnglandCowboy likes this

#14 Dylan✭Wilson

Dylan✭Wilson

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,461 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:46 PM

To play devil's advocate, we lost 2/3 of the games in which Dez had a poor performance last year. The lone win was against the Browns.

FacebookBanner6_zps7z99n8y4.jpg

#15 THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts
  • LocationBeaumont Texas

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:08 PM

Dez's double teams by the secondary open up running lanes for Zeke. Pricey decoy sometimes.

#16 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,593 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:06 PM

To play devil's advocate, we lost 2/3 of the games in which Dez had a poor performance last year. The lone win was against the Browns.

Ok....and Dez caught 9 for 132 and 2 TDs in the playoff loss to GB. I don't think having a great game from Dez always = win. But it has been shown pretty clearly that having a bad game from Dez doesn't automatically mean a loss as it used to.
  • buybuydandavis likes this

#17 Trout31

Trout31

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:08 PM

Lest hope Dez.... is cool with only catch a few pass a game!

The prize is winning a ring!

#18 HeelsRedsCowboys053

HeelsRedsCowboys053

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:16 PM

Orton, Weeden, Cassel, and Moore agree.

LOL

#19 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,564 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg/York, Pennsylvania!!

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:13 AM

Poor excuse for a player that's seriously on the decline!! We can be a pound it ball  holding drive team, but we also get pass happy as everyone knows. You expect your superstar to make plays, Dez hasn't been doing it, I'm not sure if it's the absence of romo or what

20z8rhz.png

#20 buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,849 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:23 AM

Dez was awful in our last 3 games with the Giants. Pretty easy to conclude we would have done better in each game if he weren't on the field.

Combined 4 receptions on 23 targets, 61 yards, 0 TDs.

Dead cap money is *dead*. It's not resurrected by keeping a guy on the team and paying him a salary this year, it is only pushed off onto a future year, and now you've added this year's salary to his cumulative cap hit. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users