41 replies to this topic

#1 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

Per @JayGlazer, Cliff Avril's neck injury suffered last Sunday could be career ending. He's experiencing numbness from his neck down to arm.

#2 Lococowboychica

Lococowboychica

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, New Mexico

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

That's horrible!! No ill feelings towards him whatsoever. Just glad Romo got out without a life altering injury

#3 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,791 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:44 AM

Don't "like" to see anyone hurt
That said won't be losing any sleep over it either. Always thought he was a typical dirty Seahawks player. Hit hard, hit late.

Garden variety Pete Carroll headhunter
  • bleedblue1111 and PowerDraw like this

dak-tweets.jpg?w=1000

Let's follow Dak's advice.

#NoExcuses

#stoptakingupforhim  

#4 PowerDraw

PowerDraw

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationArlington TX

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:16 AM

Don't "like" to see anyone hurt
That said won't be losing any sleep over it either. Always thought he was a typical dirty Seahawks player. Hit hard, hit late.

Garden variety Pete Carroll headhunter

Pretty much my sentiments.

• cowboyfan927 likes this

#5 AnalyticsRUs

AnalyticsRUs

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:56 AM

Same Cliff Avril that effectively ended Romo's career last year in the preseason...
  • bleedblue1111 likes this

AMERICA'S TEAM

539w.jpg

#6 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:05 PM

Same Cliff Avril that effectively ended Romo's career last year in the preseason...

You think that was malicious or his intent..?

#7 bleedblue1111

bleedblue1111

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts
  • LocationArlington, Texas

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:04 AM

You think that was malicious or his intent..?

I would say so....
No need for that kind of hit in a pre-season game on a veteran QB. Surely, he had known of Romo's recent back injuries.

But, I hope he recovers.

#8 heathgs

heathgs

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,489 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:42 AM

I would say so....
No need for that kind of hit in a pre-season game on a veteran QB. Surely, he had known of Romo's recent back injuries.

But, I hope he recovers.

Until they chang it, it is still tackle football...even in preseason. And now we can put to rest the claim that all QBs would be hurt with the same type of hit since Dak got up from a similar hit this past game.

Avril did what he was supposed to do. Romo slid late.

#9 MarcusRock

MarcusRock

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:31 PM

I knew it wouldn't be long before the "karma as revenge" folks would be out in force.  People love talking out of both sides of their mouths.  They talk about the wussification of the game, QBs getting too much protection, and how pads and tackling should be staples of training camp but don't go all out in a preseason game lest any of my precious darlings get hurt.  Opinions like the swirling winds.

Reminds me of baseball where home plate collisions were fine for 100 years but when everyone's golden boy catcher Buster Posey got hurt during one, let's ban it.

Jason Garrett - Mr. Positivity --> NO, JUST NO!

(j/k)

k45i52tv4edotwl6g.jpg

Aaron Rodgers: The Sultan of Smug

kor86282w8tf93b6g.jpg

#10 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,791 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

I knew it wouldn't be long before the "karma as revenge" folks would be out in force.  People love talking out of both sides of their mouths.  They talk about the wussification of the game, QBs getting too much protection, and how pads and tackling should be staples of training camp but don't go all out in a preseason game lest any of my precious darlings get hurt.  Opinions like the swirling winds.

Reminds me of baseball where home plate collisions were fine for 100 years but when everyone's golden boy catcher Buster Posey got hurt during one, let's ban it.

Hmmmm....

I read the thread twice.  The only mention of "karma" or "revenge" was in your post.

I have said for a long time that I think a lot of current Seahawks players are late hitting, malicious, borderline dirty players.  Kind of like the Eagles from the late 80's and early 90's.  Dirty Waters types.  I think Carroll encourages that.   Hence my comment above (which didn't mention or even allude to Romo)

The one guy who DID specifically mentioned Romo and said he thought Avril's hit on Tony was a bit malicious, also said referring to Avril (and I quote) "I hope he recovers"

Didn't see any mention of "karma" or "Revenge".  Until you inserted those words, that is.

Another instance of you seeing what you wanted to see, rather than what was there.  Pretty typical day on the forum.  

dak-tweets.jpg?w=1000

#NoExcuses

#stoptakingupforhim  

#11 MarcusRock

MarcusRock

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

Hmmmm....

I read the thread twice.  The only mention of "karma" or "revenge" was in your post.

I have said for a long time that I think a lot of current Seahawks players are late hitting, malicious, borderline dirty players.  Kind of like the Eagles from the late 80's and early 90's.  Dirty Waters types.  I think Carroll encourages that.   Hence my comment above (which didn't mention or even allude to Romo)

The one guy who DID specifically mentioned Romo and said he thought Avril's hit on Tony was a bit malicious, also said referring to Avril (and I quote) "I hope he recovers"

Didn't see any mention of "karma" or "Revenge".  Until you inserted those words, that is.

Another instance of you seeing what you wanted to see, rather than what was there.  Pretty typical day on the forum.  

If you weren't the target, why are you acting like you've been hit?

(j/k)

k45i52tv4edotwl6g.jpg

kor86282w8tf93b6g.jpg

#12 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,791 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

If you weren't the target, why are you acting like you've been hit?

I'm not.  Another erroneous conclusion.  

Care to address my points above, or would you rather continue inserting words into other people's mouths?

dak-tweets.jpg?w=1000

#NoExcuses

#stoptakingupforhim  

#13 MarcusRock

MarcusRock

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:34 PM

I'm not.  Another erroneous conclusion.  

Care to address my points above, or would you rather continue inserting words into other people's mouths?

As soon as you address the main point of my post versus picking two words with which to divert.

(j/k)

k45i52tv4edotwl6g.jpg

kor86282w8tf93b6g.jpg

#14 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,791 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

As soon as you address the main point of my post versus picking two words with which to divert.

I thought the main point of your post was this:

I knew it wouldn't be long before the "karma as revenge" folks would be out in force. 

and this:  

don't go all out in a preseason game lest any of my precious darlings get hurt.

Clear allusions that somehow, many of us were "glad" Avril got hurt because he "took out" Romo.

If that wasn't your point, then what was?  Taking into account, again, that no one other than one guy specifically mentioned Romo and that guy said he hoped Avril was OK.

dak-tweets.jpg?w=1000

#NoExcuses

#stoptakingupforhim  

#15 MarcusRock

MarcusRock

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:03 PM

I thought the main point of your post was this:

I knew it wouldn't be long before the "karma as revenge" folks would be out in force. 

and this:  

don't go all out in a preseason game lest any of my precious darlings get hurt.

Clear allusions that somehow, many of us were "glad" Avril got hurt because he "took out" Romo.

If that wasn't your point, then what was?  Taking into account, again, that no one other than one guy specifically mentioned Romo and that guy said he hoped Avril was OK.

Read between those lines and you'll be closer.

(j/k)

k45i52tv4edotwl6g.jpg

kor86282w8tf93b6g.jpg

#16 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,791 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:12 PM

Read between those lines and you'll be closer.

Can't separate the two.

The stuff between those lines, isn't a hypocritical viewpoint, unless the stuff I highlighted is an accurate accusation or charge also.  And it isn't, therefore no one is "talking out of both sides of their mouth" as you stated.

And that aside, there are lot of people who think they are wussifying football, who can still identify a particular play or player as dirty.  The two aren't mutually exclusive.

A recent example is the Trevaithan hit on Adams.  Even if you think they are "wussifying" football, there's still room to identify someone as a headhunter who was trying to take out another player.  It's not like personal fouls are a recent invention.

And at any rate, that does nothing to address the point that you said the "karma as revenge" crowd was out in full force, yet you have no evidence of that in anyone's comments in this particular thread.

As I said, only one person other than you alluded to Romo and he said he hoped Avril was Ok.  You saw something that wasn't there and got indignant about it.  I merely called attention to it.

dak-tweets.jpg?w=1000

#NoExcuses

#stoptakingupforhim  

#17 MarcusRock

MarcusRock

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

Can't separate the two.

The stuff between those lines, isn't a hypocritical viewpoint, unless the stuff I highlighted is an accurate accusation or charge also.  And it isn't, therefore no one is "talking out of both sides of their mouth" as you stated.

And that aside, there are lot of people who think they are wussifying football, who can still identify a particular play or player as dirty.  The two aren't mutually exclusive.

A recent example is the Trevaithan hit on Adams.  Even if you think they are "wussifying" football, there's still room to identify someone as a headhunter who was trying to take out another player.  It's not like personal fouls are a recent invention.

And at any rate, that does nothing to address the point that you said the "karma as revenge" crowd was out in full force, yet you have no evidence of that in anyone's comments in this particular thread.

As I said, only one person other than you alluded to Romo and he said he hoped Avril was Ok.  You saw something that wasn't there and got indignant about it.  I merely called attention to it.

I brought up the preseason play because it was brought up along the way, which I knew would eventually happen.  Same as it would if this were Golden Tate instead.  But why get away from the point of the thread's title in the first place?  The first person to bring up anything other than the OP's title and tone was you.  What you basically did was say you didn't care that his injury could be career-ending, i.e., "won't be losing any sleep," because you think he's a dirty player. 

That would be like me saying that heathgs has this ginormous flesh-eating boil eating up half his face and I don't want to see that but he's always been a vile, repulsive, nasty poster to others around these parts so the fact that he does have it won't bother me.  But since I said I hate to see that, I can get away with not being accused of saying he deserved it (karma, to the layperson) even though I'm bringing up his posting habits in a thread about his vital health.  (Sorry heath.  You were the nearest other poster so I used you as an example).  Then the diversion dancing starts to get people off on another topic.

Now I get why you hate Greg so much.  You two were basically separated at birth.  Come in to poke at a hornet's nest, then throw up your hands like you were attacked out of thin air.  Your response to my post was probably just a guilty conscience doing its thing.  But as I said earlier, if the target stripes fit, you wear 'em well.

(j/k)

k45i52tv4edotwl6g.jpg

kor86282w8tf93b6g.jpg

#18 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,791 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:18 PM

I brought up the preseason play because it was brought up along the way, which I knew would eventually happen.  Same as it would if this were Golden Tate instead.  But why get away from the point of the thread's title in the first place?  The first person to bring up anything other than the OP's title and tone was you.  What you basically did was say you didn't care that his injury could be career-ending, i.e., "won't be losing any sleep," because you think he's a dirty player. 

That would be like me saying that heathgs has this ginormous flesh-eating boil eating up half his face and I don't want to see that but he's always been a vile, repulsive, nasty poster to others around these parts so the fact that he does have it won't bother me.  But since I said I hate to see that, I can get away with not being accused of saying he deserved it (karma, to the layperson) even though I'm bringing up his posting habits in a thread about his vital health.  (Sorry heath.  You were the nearest other poster so I used you as an example).  Then the diversion dancing starts to get people off on another topic.

Now I get why you hate Greg so much.  You two were basically separated at birth.  Come in to poke at a hornet's nest, then throw up your hands like you were attacked out of thin air.  Your response to my post was probably just a guilty conscience doing its thing.  But as I said earlier, if the target stripes fit, you wear 'em well.

Referring to the bold--am I only "allowed" to comment if I am devastated by Avril's injury?  That's a laughable position coming from the likes of you.   You are one of the best at presenting a contrarian view to what the original post intended.  You thrive on it.  Which also makes me chuckle at the red section as well.  

I have to think at this point, you're merely trying to get a rise out of me.

Which unfortunately for you isn't going to happen.

At the end of the day, you basically stated that this thread was being hijacked by people rejoicing about a potential career ending injury to a guy that they feel "took Romo out" and got what he deserved.  You also insinuated very strongly that they were hypocrites who claim to like tough football until it hits a little close to home.

And again--you can't point to one single statement that actually even comes close to expressing that sentiment.

The best you have is one guy who said he thought Avril's hit against Romo was unnecessary, but also said he "hopes Avril gets better"

If you were a defense attorney, you'd be begging for a plea bargain right now.  Your case has more holes in it than the Cowboys run defense. :lol:

PS--I don't hate Greg.  I argue with him sometimes, and other times I agree with him.  It isn't personal with me.  Is it, with you?  It seems so.

dak-tweets.jpg?w=1000

#NoExcuses

#stoptakingupforhim  

#19 MarcusRock

MarcusRock

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:36 PM

Don't see a denial to your actions I pointed out.  Just more evasive maneuvers.

(j/k)

k45i52tv4edotwl6g.jpg

kor86282w8tf93b6g.jpg

#20 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,791 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:43 PM

Don't see a denial to your actions I pointed out.  Just more evasive maneuvers.

I don't need to deny doing something I didn't do.

dak-tweets.jpg?w=1000

#NoExcuses

#stoptakingupforhim  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users