#1 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,347 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:54 AM

What a colossal  fail.  We lost to Trinidad and Tobago with everything on the line.....a country smaller than Nashville whose primary sport is cricket. 

Somebody needs to walk into the US soccer federation and start firing people.   This organization is a failure. Heads need to roll and people with some different ideas need to be given a chance.   Klinsman wanted to blow the whole system up and remake it.  I guess he was right.

• cowboyfan927 and boutteman like this

#2 bdk76

bdk76

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Locationover yander

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

An absolute embarassment! With the amount of $$$ and resources  "supposedly" being thrown into player development they should be dominating CONCACAF. Politics, no doubt, is holding this sport back at the national level. If this doesn't lead to a complete overhaul of the entire system, I don't know what will!

• Alpha Dak likes this

2001-09-23-inside-flag.jpg

#3 FanfromGermany

FanfromGermany

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationWalderbach, Bavaria Germany

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

US soccer fails to qaulify for World Cup

Netherlands also!!

I apologize for my bad english, i'm from Germany.

#4 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,347 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

An absolute embarassment! With the amount of $$$ and resources  "supposedly" being thrown into player development they should be dominating CONCACAF. Politics, no doubt, is holding this sport back at the national level. If this doesn't lead to a complete overhaul of the entire system, I don't know what will!

Arena doesn't think anything needs to change.........which should cement his firing.   This marriage between MLS and US Soccer is a disaster for the national team.  It doesn't work b/c the quality of play just isn't there in the MLS.  Our national team players need to be training and playing in Europe.  Relying on the MLS for US National player development is like fielding a team of AA baseball all-stars and asking them to go compete in MLB.

Money needs to be poured into youth soccer academies, and pipelines need to be established between those academies and European clubs so that the best US players can be identified and compete at the highest levels.  We have too many old players with no competition for their spots on the national team.  Other than Pulisic whose more of a product of his parents efforts and Germany then US soccer training,  there seems to be very little quality in the pipeline. 

Netherlands also!!

Europe has legit competiton.  Very hard to qualify.  We had to beat Trinadad and Tabago.

• Alpha Dak likes this

#5 FanfromGermany

FanfromGermany

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationWalderbach, Bavaria Germany

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:43 AM

They sholuld never fired Klinsmann, look at the german team. Worldchampion, it all starts back in 2004 with Klinsmann

• Alpha Dak likes this

I apologize for my bad english, i'm from Germany.

#6 bdk76

bdk76

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Locationover yander

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:48 AM

Netherlands also!!

They sholuld never fired Klinsmann, look at the german team. Worldchampion, it all starts back in 2004 with Klinsmann

My mother in law is from Germany. Her family are all Braunschweig fans. 

Arena doesn't think anything needs to change.........which should cement his firing.   This marriage between MLS and US Soccer is a disaster for the national team.  It doesn't work b/c the quality of play just isn't there in the MLS.  Our national team players need to be training and playing in Europe.  Relying on the MLS for US National player development is like fielding a team of AA baseball all-stars and asking them to go compete in MLB.

Money needs to be poured into youth soccer academies, and pipelines need to be established between those academies and European clubs so that the best US players can be identified and compete at the highest levels.  We have too many old players with no competition for their spots on the national team.  Other than Pulisic whose more of a product of his parents efforts and Germany then US soccer training,  there seems to be very little quality in the pipeline. 

Europe has legit competiton.  Very hard to qualify.  We had to beat Trinadad and Tabago.

I agree 100%!!

• FanfromGermany likes this

2001-09-23-inside-flag.jpg

#7 Lococowboychica

Lococowboychica

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, New Mexico

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:35 PM

That's futbol :)

#8 Alpha Dak

Alpha Dak

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,166 posts
  • LocationIn my den.

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

What a colossal fail. We lost to Trinidad and Tobago with everything on the line.....a country smaller than Nashville whose primary sport is cricket.

Somebody needs to walk into the US soccer federation and start firing people. This organization is a failure. Heads need to roll and people with some different ideas need to be given a chance. Klinsman wanted to blow the whole system up and remake it. I guess he was right.

Klinsman was absolutely right! And Arenas is an idiot! He wanted the team to be mostly MLS players! The MLS is NOT even CLOSE to the level of Europe! With how PATHETIC we were in qualifications, the US does not deserve to be in the World Cup. I want Klinsman back. Heʻs like Marinelli. He made the most with what he had which is not much.

So, of course, Go England!
New Character from a friend of mine:

me_wolf.jpg

#9 Coach

Coach

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

Honestly this go around for Bruce reminded me of Jimmy when he went to Miami... tied in with Marino/Bradley when they didn't fit the system the coach wanted to run.

I think we have players in the pipeline, but in looking at our U-23's Olympic history the outlook doesn't look great.

I hate to lose more than I love to win!

#10 Alpha Dak

Alpha Dak

Landry Hat

• Members
  • 73,166 posts
  • LocationIn my den.

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:49 PM

Arena doesn't think anything needs to change.........which should cement his firing. This marriage between MLS and US Soccer is a disaster for the national team. It doesn't work b/c the quality of play just isn't there in the MLS. Our national team players need to be training and playing in Europe. Relying on the MLS for US National player development is like fielding a team of AA baseball all-stars and asking them to go compete in MLB.

Money needs to be poured into youth soccer academies, and pipelines need to be established between those academies and European clubs so that the best US players can be identified and compete at the highest levels. We have too many old players with no competition for their spots on the national team. Other than Pulisic whose more of a product of his parents efforts and Germany then US soccer training, there seems to be very little quality in the pipeline.

Europe has legit competiton. Very hard to qualify. We had to beat Trinadad and Tabago.

Exactly! Using the MLS, a THROUGH AND THROUGH AMERICANIZATION of football (not calling it the s word lol). You canʻt rely on the MLS to develop players. Is will never BE on the level of Europe. We need soccer academies here. We need our players going to Europe. We need our friendlies to be played against European powerhouses like Germany and England. Like Klinsman wanted, we need a full on overhaul and rebuild on how we do football in the US.
  • atlantacowboy likes this

me_wolf.jpg

#11 Alpha Dak

Alpha Dak

Landry Hat

• Members
  • 73,166 posts
  • LocationIn my den.

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:57 PM

Another thing, we are TERRIBLE at recruiting players to European style football. We HAVE the talent. Trouble is, so many of them want to play American Football, basketball, etc. We donʻt recruit them to football despite the fact that they have more places to play professionally if they stick to the craft of football. We make it stupidly expensive to play football at local levels. Football shouldnʻt be expensive to play. Another part of the overhaul.

me_wolf.jpg

#12 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,604 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

What a colossal  fail.  We lost to Trinidad and Tobago with everything on the line.....a country smaller than Nashville whose primary sport is cricket. 

Somebody needs to walk into the US soccer federation and start firing people.   This organization is a failure. Heads need to roll and people with some different ideas need to be given a chance.   Klinsman wanted to blow the whole system up and remake it.  I guess he was right.

I don't even really enjoy/follow soccer and I endorse this post.

How in the world do you lose to Trinidad and Tobago?  Yikes.

"A Country smaller than Nashville".   LOL AC, classic line.  

People got mad at Mickelson when he went bonkers after Tom Watson captained the Ryder Cup in '14, but Lefty was correct.  The system got seriously revamped and we've had better success in international competition the past few years.

Perhaps a similar approach is needed for US soccer.  An embarassing loss like this would certainly indicate that whatever they are doing, isn't working so well.....

• Alpha Dak and atlantacowboy like this

jim-harbaugh-booger.jpg

Jim Harbaugh is a nose picking, booger eating, overrated piece of crap.

#FireHarbaugh  

#13 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,347 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:08 PM

Another thing, we are TERRIBLE at recruiting players to European style football. We HAVE the talent. Trouble is, so many of them want to play American Football, basketball, etc. We donʻt recruit them to football despite the fact that they have more places to play professionally if they stick to the craft of football. We make it stupidly expensive to play football at local levels. Football shouldnʻt be expensive to play. Another part of the overhaul.

It is not an athletic issue in my opinion.  Our players are just as strong and fast ......can jump just as high....as any other countries players.  Messi is 5'6 160lbs.  So, its not about size either.  The problem is opportunity at a young age.  We all played soccer when we were 7.  Who was coaching us?   Some other kids dad most likely.  if he had time after work.  We need professional soccer academies that identify talent under the age of 10,  and,  most importantly,  develop it. 

Soccer is a skill that has to be developed at a young age.  When you see Messi trap a ball on the run and have complete control of it instantly,  thats not athletic ability.  Thats thousands of hours of practice that began when he was 6 in a professional academy.

• Alpha Dak likes this

#14 Alpha Dak

Alpha Dak

Landry Hat

• Members
  • 73,166 posts
  • LocationIn my den.

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

It is not an athletic issue in my opinion. Our players are just as strong and fast ......can jump just as high....as any other countries players. Messi is 5'6 160lbs. So, its not about size either. The problem is opportunity at a young age. We all played soccer when we were 7. Who was coaching us? Some other kids dad most likely. if he had time after work. We need professional soccer academies that identify talent under the age of 10, and, most importantly, develop it.
Soccer is a skill that has to be developed at a young age. When you see Messi trap a ball on the run and have complete control of it instantly, thats not athletic ability. Thats thousands of hours of practice that began when he was 6 in a professional academy.

I agree, which is again why the system needs to be revampted. US Soccer should have listened to Klinnsman.

me_wolf.jpg

#15 boutteman

boutteman

• Moderators
  • 7,321 posts
  • LocationSummerlin, NV

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

Mexico (and Costa Rica) are just laughing their butts-off at us.... and I don't fault them for having the notion of purposely losing so Honduras and Panama would have the opportunity to hop-over us, I probably would've done the same thing if I had already qualified.

USA (mens) soccer is nothing more than a complete disappointment (at every level).

And I know of atleast one guy that will probably be tweeting randomly about missing an opportunity to go to Russia next summer, lol.

#16 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,347 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:18 PM

Mexico (and Costa Rica) are just laughing their butts-off at us.... and I don't fault them for having the notion of purposely losing so Honduras and Panama would have the opportunity to hop-over us, I probably would've done the same thing if I had already qualified.

USA (mens) soccer is nothing more than a complete disappointment (at every level).

And I know of atleast one guy that will probably be tweeting randomly about missing an opportunity to go to Russia next summer, lol.

I didn't watch either mexico or CR but I imagine they didn't have their best players on the field.  Why risk an injury for a game of no consequence for them?   Plus,  nobody gave T&T a chance.  They are one of the weaker concaf teams and they had nothing to play for.   Maybe the US thought they would just roll over...........sure played like it in the first half.............but the whole thing shines a mighty bright and unflattering light on the US Soccer Fed.

#17 uvaballa

uvaballa

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,023 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:55 PM

That always been my point. A lot of the best athletes do not play soccer in the US so they can't compete with countries whose top athletes do play soccer.

• Alpha Dak likes this

9tn384.jpg

#18 Alpha Dak

Alpha Dak

Landry Hat

• Members
  • 73,166 posts
  • LocationIn my den.

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:47 PM

That always been my point. A lot of the best athletes do not play soccer in the US so they can't compete with countries whose top athletes do play soccer.

Exactly. And I'd like to point out that we are RUBBISH at recruiting at European style football as I said. For example, if a kid wants to be a professional athlete, consider the likelihood difference of being a European football player compared to most other American sports. Outside of the United States, American Football players can also play in Canada professionally and MAYBE Japan and Germany. Basketball? Outside of the US, there's a Toronto team and MAYBE a Chinese League. Baseball? See American Football. European-style football? Insert country here! You can play in England, Germany, Japan, France, Italy, Australia, Brazil, and any other country. 

Oh, and then there's the problem of us making European-style football expensive to play. Honestly, why does it HAVE to be so expensive here? Do Brazilians spend a lot of money to play the sport and develop their skills? Nope! How about the Germans? Nein! Argentina? No. So, what makes us so different about it? It's a fun sport to play, but we do a poor job of attracting people to it. We certainly have the FANS. What we aren't developing is the TALENT! 

me_wolf.jpg

#19 Alpha Dak

Alpha Dak

Landry Hat

• Members
  • 73,166 posts
  • LocationIn my den.

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:59 PM

So are the British. One of my British friends joked with me that at least Iceland is in the World Cup. I strongly disliked the move to get hire Arenas. I strongly dislike the way that the US team tries to Americanize European Football! You CAN'T Americanize it! The MLS is NOT a training ground for playing the likes of Germany, England, Italy, France, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Spain, and ANY OTHER football giant. Before the Gold Cup, name ONE giant that we played in the friendlies to tune up for it. Klinsman at least knew that the Europeans are the RIGHT ones to develop players compared to the MLS. England, Germany, Brazil, France, and Spain have....ZERO MLS players on their national team. 

Now, don't get me wrong. The MLS is fun to watch. I can also understand a few players since it's a United States League, but it SHOULDN'T be relied upon like Arenas tried to. Honestly, with how much he snubbed the Europeans by wanting more MLS teams, I'm glad that we're not going to the World Cup. We'd have NO chance against any giant. Who was he going to have us play friendlies against? San Marino? Malta? Honestly! If we're to become capable of handling such stages, we NEED every bit of friendlies against great teams like Germany and England. 

me_wolf.jpg

#20 Alpha Dak

Alpha Dak

Landry Hat

• Members
  • 73,166 posts
  • LocationIn my den.

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:06 PM

1xg7in.jpg