#21 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,347 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:04 PM

That always been my point. A lot of the best athletes do not play soccer in the US so they can't compete with countries whose top athletes do play soccer.

Not an athletic issue.  Our players are just as strong and fast ......can jump just as high....as any other countries futball players.  Messi is 5'6 160lbs.  What would have become of such a talent had he been born in the US?   He most certainly would not be who is today.....and we aren't losing him to football or basketball.  He probably never becomes a professional athlete,  let alone an all-time great.  

We have no national mechanism of identifying elite talent and supporting its development.   The problem is opportunity at a young age. 

Soccer is a skill that has to be developed at a young age.  Its not like football or basketball where raw athletic ability or god given size is a huge factor. Many many examples of football and basketball players acquiring their skills as teenagers. Soccer is more like tennis or golf in that if you are playing on your HS team,  it means your never going to be world class at it.   You missed a developmental window.    When you see Messi trap a ball on the run and have complete control of it instantly,  thats not athletic ability.  Thats thousands of hours of practice that began when he was 6 in the crucible of a  professional academy. 

We need soccer academies supported by the US Soccer federation, Athletic apparel companies, and pro clubs.............. staffed by real professional coaches and at no cost to the players who have earned the spots.

#22 MaynardB

MaynardB

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationOklahoma backwoods

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:21 PM

The U.S. has a soccer team?

#23 Alpha Dak

Alpha Dak

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,166 posts
  • LocationIn my den.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

The U.S. has a soccer team?

Yes, just a rubbish manager. At least England lost to a team in Iceland in the Euros that is WC bound. Trinidad isnʻt anywhere near the WC.
New Character from a friend of mine:

me_wolf.jpg

#24 uvaballa

uvaballa

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,023 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:08 PM

I still think the US could put better athletes on the soccer field. Instead of being just as fast, quick, powerful or big they could be faster, quicker, bigger etc. Not sure if you know but UVA and many ACC schools have won multiple national championships in soccer(yes not all the kids on the team are from the US). I've seen these guys and partied with them. Most of them aren't in the top 1% of athletes IMO. I would say it's similar to baseball where many countries have caught and/or passed the US in the sport because many of the top athletes don't play the sport.

I agree the US needs a better system to help young kids really improve their skills. It takes a lot of practice to really get good at it just like other sports.

Not an athletic issue.  Our players are just as strong and fast ......can jump just as high....as any other countries futball players.  Messi is 5'6 160lbs.  What would have become of such a talent had he been born in the US?   He most certainly would not be who is today.....and we aren't losing him to football or basketball.  He probably never becomes a professional athlete,  let alone an all-time great.  

We have no national mechanism of identifying elite talent and supporting its development.   The problem is opportunity at a young age. 

Soccer is a skill that has to be developed at a young age.  Its not like football or basketball where raw athletic ability or god given size is a huge factor. Many many examples of football and basketball players acquiring their skills as teenagers. Soccer is more like tennis or golf in that if you are playing on your HS team,  it means your never going to be world class at it.   You missed a developmental window.    When you see Messi trap a ball on the run and have complete control of it instantly,  thats not athletic ability.  Thats thousands of hours of practice that began when he was 6 in the crucible of a  professional academy. 

We need soccer academies supported by the US Soccer federation, Athletic apparel companies, and pro clubs.............. staffed by real professional coaches and at no cost to the players who have earned the spots.

• Alpha Dak likes this

9tn384.jpg

#25 Alpha Dak

Alpha Dak

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,166 posts
  • LocationIn my den.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:30 PM

I still think the US could put better athletes on the soccer field. Instead of being just as fast, quick, powerful or big they could be faster, quicker, bigger etc. Not sure if you know but UVA and many ACC schools have won multiple national championships in soccer(yes not all the kids on the team are from the US). I've seen these guys and partied with them. Most of them aren't in the top 1% of athletes IMO. I would say it's similar to baseball where many countries have caught and/or passed the US in the sport because many of the top athletes don't play the sport.

I agree the US needs a better system to help young kids really improve their skills. It takes a lot of practice to really get good at it just like other sports.

Exactly, we need to do something to fix the youth level. We certainly have the fans here. 

New Character from a friend of mine:

me_wolf.jpg

#26 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,347 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:03 AM

Its not like other sports.  You can pick up football at age 17 and become a great defensive DE or Rb.  Michael  Jordan was cut from his high school team as a sophomore..  There are no "late bloomers" in soccer.     If you pick up soccer as a teen,  you have zero chance of having a professional career.  Same thing in Tennis and Golf.  Its much more than just athletic ability. 

#27 uvaballa

uvaballa

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,023 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:41 PM

Its not like other sports. You can pick up football at age 17 and become a great defensive DE or Rb. Michael Jordan was cut from his high school team as a sophomore.. There are no "late bloomers" in soccer. If you pick up soccer as a teen, you have zero chance of having a professional career. Same thing in Tennis and Golf. Its much more than just athletic ability.

I know because I played up until middle school on a travel team. I believe guys like Chad Johnson also played when they were little but switched over to other sports. They need to keep those kids, especially the best athletes in the sport and not looking at other sports.

You really think a guy like Kobe couldn't have been a dominant soccer player to help the US if he had stuck with it?  https://sites.duke.e...s-soccer-roots/

9tn384.jpg

#28 Dave.Nutz

Dave.Nutz

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:55 AM

The Head Coach resigned today as I expected .. Sad that our best player will never see more than 2- maybe 3 World Cups at this point.. I like soccer so I hope something good happens.....

Go COWBOYS !!!!  The Real Americas Team !!!!

10b17e609552bc9345f6172c8bbd1647.jpg

#29 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,347 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

I know because I played up until middle school on a travel team. I believe guys like Chad Johnson also played when they were little but switched over to other sports. They need to keep those kids, especially the best athletes in the sport and not looking at other sports.

You really think a guy like Kobe couldn't have been a dominant soccer player to help the US if he had stuck with it?  https://sites.duke.e...s-soccer-roots/

No.  I don't think Kobe could have been a dominant soccer player at all unless he played goalie.  Stature is no advantage in soccer.   Messi,  Neymar,   Deigo Sanchez........all under 5'8.  Maradona was 5'4.    We have guys like them all over the country who aren't candidates to play basketbal or football b/c of their size.   However,  being quick footed and able to change direction on a dime with a ball at your feet is actually easier when you are shorter.   So,  while Kobe's quickness is elite for his size on a tiny basketball court..  Its pedestrian on a huge soccer field.  Now talk to me about chris paul and maybe your onto something.

The Head Coach resigned today as I expected .. Sad that our best player will never see more than 2- maybe 3 World Cups at this point.. I like soccer so I hope something good happens.....

He resigned b/c it is more dignified than being fired. He knows he had zero chance of continuing as the national coach.

#30 uvaballa

uvaballa

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,023 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

No. I don't think Kobe could have been a dominant soccer player at all unless he played goalie. Stature is no advantage in soccer. Messi, Neymar, Deigo Sanchez........all under 5'8. Maradona was 5'4. We have guys like them all over the country who aren't candidates to play basketbal or football b/c of their size. However, being quick footed and able to change direction on a dime with a ball at your feet is actually easier when you are shorter. So, while Kobe's quickness is elite for his size on a tiny basketball court.. Its pedestrian on a huge soccer field. Now talk to me about chris paul and maybe your onto something.

He resigned b/c it is more dignified than being fired. He knows he had zero chance of continuing as the national coach.

I don’t think stature has much to do with being a great soccer player. Guys like Ronaldo and Zidane are over 6 ft tall. I still think if the US had some better athletes on the defensive side they would do better against the rest of the world.

Arena is a UVA legend with his 5 national champions, too bad he’s struggling with the national team. I still don’t think coaching should take all the blame.
  • atlantacowboy likes this

9tn384.jpg

#31 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,347 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:59 PM

I don’t think stature has much to do with being a great soccer player. Guys like Ronaldo and Zidane are over 6 ft tall. I still think if the US had some better athletes on the defensive side they would do better against the rest of the world.

Arena is a UVA legend with his 5 national champions, too bad he’s struggling with the national team. I still don’t think coaching should take all the blame.

I think Arena is a smart man.  He just made a bad choice relying too much on MLS players rather than the guys playing in Europe.  He really thought a world cup team built largely with an MLS roster would do wonders for the domestic league.  So, he sacrificed quality.  Kinda sad when we don't have the domestic talent to beat T&T with a world cup birth on the line.

In regard to stature,  lets put real numbers to it.   The tallest soccer players  in the world are German pros with an average height of 6'0.    The point is that the all-time greats tend toward the shorter end of the spectrum.  Pele was 5'8.   Xavi Hernendez who has won more trophies than any other spanish player in history is 5'7.   The point is that in no other sport do men of short stature have such an even playing field when going up against naturally larger people.  And we see the results.  Its not like Spanish and German basketball players didn't have the option of playing soccer.   In fact, many would have probably chosen soccer over those sports if they were any good at it.  Steve Nash openly admits that basketball was his second choice sport.  He would have preferred soccer.

Soccer is literally on a different playing field that requires a different set of skills and natural gifts than those prized by other sports.  So, I don't believe just b/c someone is a great basketball player that they would be able to reach elite status in soccer if they had chosen it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users