• 3,590 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:54 AM

Thornton 4 yr 17m-------------dead money 6.75m

Paea  1 yr 2m------------------dead money 2m

Carroll 3 yr 10m --------------dead money 4m

Brinkley 2yr 6.5m-------------dead money 2m

Mayowa 3 yr 8.25

Morris 2 yr 3.5m

It's been a good strategy to focus on rookies and the draft while signing short-term bridge players. But we need to adjust the bridge players we are targeting, the ones we're getting have been a complete waste of money. Especially when they're getting guaranteed money and long-term contracts. We've spent almost 15m in dead money on guys that barely played because they got long-term contracts they weren't worth.

None of the above guys should have been signed, instead, we should have signed one or two more of our veterans that we knew and gone with cheaper alternatives elsewhere. I  get that Carr signed a 4 yr 23m contract and we shouldn't offer that, we needed to rebuild the secondary, but I'm pretty sure he would have taken a 1-year 7m contract and he could have been a more expensive bridge player, we'd have been way better off.

And I'm not talking about spending more money either. I'm talking about the same total dollar amount, we'd just be keeping one or two more of our guys (out of Church, Carr, T.McClain, Leary) and the rest being veteran minimums or UDFA's. Seems like we're cutting a lot of these "money ball" attempts for UDFA's anyway. 

Projecting forward that means re-sign Anthony Hitchens rather than Jasper Brinkley 2.0. Even if it's just a short-term deal that ends up costing us a bit more initially while we develop rookies. Unfortunately, we're screwed at DT, but the last thing I want to see is a guy on 4 year 21m because we'll just end up getting burned. Do it properly, spend a bit more, or spend nothing, getting a guy on a vet minimum and hope rookies can get the job done .

• kskboys and Lococowboychica like this

#2 ryanaustinh

ryanaustinh

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:05 AM

I think you are inflating some of that dead money on Paea and Brinkley.

If Paea's contract was guaranteed, it's null and void with his retirement and if we really wanted to, we could pursue any bonus money in arbitration there.

Who knows what the fine print is on Carroll's deal, remember he had a DUI shortly after signing, some of this stuff could be voided out.

In that same boat you have Jonathan Cooper starting at guard, Alfred Morris ripping off a 76 yard run and Mayowa led the team in sacks last year.

They key to our FA philosophy is not that we hit on everyone, but when we miss, the player is movable, nothing is more evident of that than Carrol's release today

#3 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:26 AM

Good post.

That's like I'd like to see what Benewikere has. He's still very young and I'd be nice to see if he fits our scheme with his impending free agency. If he does that could be a potential replacement for Scandrick on the cheap.

Hitchens and LP make the most sense to resign at this moment.

We would still be left with many holes including:

Staring- SS, 1T, Mike, and RE
Depth- LB, 3T, LE, RB, and TE.
  • DanAn likes this

#4 DanAn

DanAn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:29 AM

I think you are inflating some of that dead money on Paea and Brinkley.

If Paea's contract was guaranteed, it's null and void with his retirement and if we really wanted to, we could pursue any bonus money in arbitration there.

Who knows what the fine print is on Carroll's deal, remember he had a DUI shortly after signing, some of this stuff could be voided out.

In that same boat you have Jonathan Cooper starting at guard, Alfred Morris ripping off a 76 yard run and Mayowa led the team in sacks last year.

They key to our FA philosophy is not that we hit on everyone, but when we miss, the player is movable, nothing is more evident of that than Carrol's release today

- The Brinkley dead money was 2m, as stated by Sportac

- Unsure on Paea but he's retired due to injury so I doubt we recoup anything

- Wishful thinking on Carroll, it'll be 4m dead money

- Cooper was on vet minimum last year, so it's technically bringing back our guy, obviously, it was only the playoffs but the coaches had a really good look at him in our setup and he had just 500k guaranteed. So it is different.

- Mayowa had what 5.5 sacks? I don't think we would be hurt too much if we'd just signed a guy like Moore last season.

- Morris is the one exception but I'm not sure he's that much better than Rod Smith anyway. Regardless we could get out of that contract for 1m. That's probably my threshold, if we can't get out of the contract for under 1m, don't sign them.

#5 DanAn

DanAn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:38 AM

Good post.

That's like I'd like to see what Benewikere has. He's still very young and I'd be nice to see if he fits our scheme with his impending free agency. If he does that could be a potential replacement for Scandrick on the cheap.

Hitchens and LP make the most sense to resign at this moment.

We would still be left with many holes including:

Staring- SS, 1T, Mike, and RE
Depth- LB, 3T, LE, RB, and TE.

I'm keeping Scandrick. I don't think we can find better for under 3m but we'll get a good look at Benwikere, he might be a keeper in place of Carroll, he likely competes with Duke Thomas and Marquiz White for the 5th sport. I think at the very least Scandrick has trade value.

I'd be looking to re-sign LP for sure. I'm hoping we can keep most of our free agents (K.Smith, Wilbur, LP, Hitchens, Lawrence, Cooper, Butler, maybe even Morris). Lawrence and Butler look the most unlikely though. 

#6 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:02 AM

I'm keeping Scandrick. I don't think we can find better for under 3m but we'll get a good look at Benwikere, he might be a keeper in place of Carroll, he likely competes with Duke Thomas and Marquiz White for the 5th sport. I think at the very least Scandrick has trade value.

I'd be looking to re-sign LP for sure. I'm hoping we can keep most of our free agents (K.Smith, Wilbur, LP, Hitchens, Lawrence, Cooper, Butler, maybe even Morris). Lawrence and Butler look the most unlikely though.

As I stated in the other thread, Scandrick isn't likely to be here next year since he and JJ don't see eye to eye. That's the reason for a replacement.

I would hope we move on from Morris and Wilbur. The rest would be nice if Cooper stays healthy. If he doesn't, then he's not worth fostering. He's been okay, but you can find someone else that's more durable for and as good for cheap.

#7 Creeper

Creeper

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:27 AM

Jerry Jones has an opportunity to straighten out his cap mess now with Romo gone.  He needs to stop the pusing money out into the future be redoing contracts.  He should do that sparingly.  

Once he clear the past cap problems, he should fill a coupe of holes in the roster with quality free agents.  Yes, they wll cost a lot of money but they will be worth it when he sees he has a top 5 defense.

#8 ryanaustinh

ryanaustinh

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:41 AM

- The Brinkley dead money was 2m, as stated by Sportac

- Unsure on Paea but he's retired due to injury so I doubt we recoup anything

- Wishful thinking on Carroll, it'll be 4m dead money

- Cooper was on vet minimum last year, so it's technically bringing back our guy, obviously, it was only the playoffs but the coaches had a really good look at him in our setup and he had just 500k guaranteed. So it is different.

- Mayowa had what 5.5 sacks? I don't think we would be hurt too much if we'd just signed a guy like Moore last season.

- Morris is the one exception but I'm not sure he's that much better than Rod Smith anyway. Regardless we could get out of that contract for 1m. That's probably my threshold, if we can't get out of the contract for under 1m, don't sign them.

Dead money is a natural function of the cap, show me a team with no dead money and I'll show you a team that never admits their mistakes.

I don't really care what the amount is as long as we save money by cutting him.

Thornton, Paea and Carrol would all have been replaced next offseason if I'd have had my way before all this, so we made the move 6 months early.

#9 LeedsCowboys

LeedsCowboys

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:35 AM

For those hoping we might sign some big FA names, I don't see it happening as we have been burned in the past signing these players who have not done anything, Hardy, Roy Williams, even Brandon Carr, who was a steady CB but not worth the $50m we paid him. 

Some of the better FA we have picked up have been cheaper guys like McClain both Terrell and Rolando, Mincey, Laurent Robinson.Its not to say we will keep up this model looking at bargain basement players, but rather we will not be looking to sign any of the top 3-4 FA at their position, I think we will look for those a little further down the list.

• TrojanHawk and DanAn like this

darryl-moose-johnston.jpg

#10 DanAn

DanAn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

For those hoping we might sign some big FA names, I don't see it happening as we have been burned in the past signing these players who have not done anything, Hardy, Roy Williams, even Brandon Carr, who was a steady CB but not worth the $50m we paid him. 

Some of the better FA we have picked up have been cheaper guys like McClain both Terrell and Rolando, Mincey, Laurent Robinson.Its not to say we will keep up this model looking at bargain basement players, but rather we will not be looking to sign any of the top 3-4 FA at their position, I think we will look for those a little further down the list.

I don't actually want any expensive free agents unless we've seen them in our system.  Everybody else I'd have on the vet minimum, or at least on under 1m guaranteed. The one exception perhaps this summer is DT because the situation is rather desperate. And actually, my preference would be to trade for a guy coming into the final year of his contract either now or in summer and see how they go.

The names you mentioned were initially all signed on cheap one-year deals. Maybe Mincey was a 2-year deal but I think he was the only one. They're exactly what I'd be targeting.

#11 TrojanHawk

TrojanHawk

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (Born in Dallas) Texas Stadium Ticket Holder

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

Keep signing forgotten veterans for cheap. 

Create more cap room to sign people we want to keep. 

Draft smart. 

When we have enough room, sign "proven" difference maker. (Once every 2.5 years)

If it was only this easy

• LeedsCowboys likes this

1u3grp.jpg

#12 BlueDocD2

BlueDocD2

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:57 AM

Don't include Hardy or Williams into the list with Carr. Carr situation was different and really was the only BIG salary FA the team has signed in a decade or more.  While Carr wasn't worth the 50m, he was steady and stayed healthy. I wouldn't even say the team got burned .....overpaid for sure, but not burned. 

Roy Williams was a trade and it was stupid as hell. Gave up a first rounder for a ONE HIT pro-bowl wonder. Was super stupid to give up so much for him, but that's stupid ass JJ for you.

Hardy was a good gamble. He wasn't worth the money in the end but they didn't lose anything or add to the dead money when he was released a year later.

Rolondo McClain was the poster child for JJ's stupidity. He thought this guy would get his act together when it was obvious to the deaf and dumb he wasn't gonna and offered him another contract. McClain went home to smoke his weed and haven't been back since. 

Anyway, it makes sense not to get into the huge lottery the first day of FA because you will never get your money's worth for those guys. I would rather focus on keeping some of our own guys. Thought it was smart to offer TWilliams and Butler contracts. Not so smart to let Church go. Even question letting Lucky Whitehead go. He was a **** lot better than Switzer!

#13 DanAn

DanAn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

I don't get why everybody is so in love with getting Switzer running jet sweeps. He runs a 4.51 forty, no opposition is going to be scared of that and pulled out of position. You need a way quicker guy for that in the NFL, you might as well just have Dez run it at that speed. At least he's hard to bring down.

• bluedocd likes this

#14 Lococowboychica

Lococowboychica

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, New Mexico

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

Thornton 4 yr 17m-------------dead money 6.75m

Paea  1 yr 2m------------------dead money 2m

Carroll 3 yr 10m --------------dead money 4m

Brinkley 2yr 6.5m-------------dead money 2m

Mayowa 3 yr 8.25

Morris 2 yr 3.5m

It's been a good strategy to focus on rookies and the draft while signing short-term bridge players. But we need to adjust the bridge players we are targeting, the ones we're getting have been a complete waste of money. Especially when they're getting guaranteed money and long-term contracts. We've spent almost 15m in dead money on guys that barely played because they got long-term contracts they weren't worth.

None of the above guys should have been signed, instead, we should have signed one or two more of our veterans that we knew and gone with cheaper alternatives elsewhere. I  get that Carr signed a 4 yr 23m contract and we shouldn't offer that, we needed to rebuild the secondary, but I'm pretty sure he would have taken a 1-year 7m contract and he could have been a more expensive bridge player, we'd have been way better off.

And I'm not talking about spending more money either. I'm talking about the same total dollar amount, we'd just be keeping one or two more of our guys (out of Church, Carr, T.McClain, Leary) and the rest being veteran minimums or UDFA's. Seems like we're cutting a lot of these "money ball" attempts for UDFA's anyway. 

Projecting forward that means re-sign Anthony Hitchens rather than Jasper Brinkley 2.0. Even if it's just a short-term deal that ends up costing us a bit more initially while we develop rookies. Unfortunately, we're screwed at DT, but the last thing I want to see is a guy on 4 year 21m because we'll just end up getting burned. Do it properly, spend a bit more, or spend nothing, getting a guy on a vet minimum and hope rookies can get the job done .

The problem is some team is always willing to overpay FA's. They are quick solutions to problems but like us they will find that the solution was expensive and not an entire fix for the problem. I'm good with signing our own FA's for their level of performance but not really good with paying our FA's some other teams  over-estimate of their level of performance. We know our players better than 31 other teams. Like wise 31 other teams know their own FA players better than we do. If I treated my grocery list like some teams treat FA, I'd starve :) 

#15 LeedsCowboys

LeedsCowboys

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

Don't include Hardy or Williams into the list with Carr. Carr situation was different and really was the only BIG salary FA the team has signed in a decade or more.  While Carr wasn't worth the 50m, he was steady and stayed healthy. I wouldn't even say the team got burned .....overpaid for sure, but not burned. 

Roy Williams was a trade and it was stupid as hell. Gave up a first rounder for a ONE HIT pro-bowl wonder. Was super stupid to give up so much for him, but that's stupid ass JJ for you.

Hardy was a good gamble. He wasn't worth the money in the end but they didn't lose anything or add to the dead money when he was released a year later.

Rolondo McClain was the poster child for JJ's stupidity. He thought this guy would get his act together when it was obvious to the deaf and dumb he wasn't gonna and offered him another contract. McClain went home to smoke his weed and haven't been back since. 

Anyway, it makes sense not to get into the huge lottery the first day of FA because you will never get your money's worth for those guys. I would rather focus on keeping some of our own guys. Thought it was smart to offer TWilliams and Butler contracts. Not so smart to let Church go. Even question letting Lucky Whitehead go. He was a **** lot better than Switzer!

2nd tier players, who are hungry and have a point to prove, are the ideal signing to make.

Switzer will come into his role, it took a while for Beasley to get to grips.

darryl-moose-johnston.jpg

#16 ironman366

ironman366

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

Atleast they are willing to admit the mistake and cut the players that are not working out. We can't say jerry and co are unwilling to cut underperforming guys even if it hurts the cap.

#17 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:08 PM

I don't get why everybody is so in love with getting Switzer running jet sweeps. He runs a 4.51 forty, no opposition is going to be scared of that and pulled out of position. You need a way quicker guy for that in the NFL, you might as well just have Dez run it at that speed. At least he's hard to bring down.

Such a head scratching pick at the time.

#18 cnuball21

cnuball21

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,089 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:45 PM

Such a head scratching pick at the time.

I really, really wanted Desmond King with that pick as a safety.

#19 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:53 PM

Me too and I really thought it might happen. You know how much I wanted him.

The main others I really wanted at that pick were Caleb Brantley, Anthony Walker jr, or Jake Butt,
I'm not sure if any of King, Brantley, or Walker are producing yet.

#20 ryanaustinh

ryanaustinh

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:56 AM

Apparently it was between Switzer and Xavier Woods, we got both.

• Shotty likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users