You are here

Photo

Do you think of Terrell Owens & Deion Sanders as Cowboys?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 hipster.doofus7

hipster.doofus7

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:21 AM

I have never been able to accept Deion Sanders and Terrell Owens as Cowboys.  Not even during those years when they were playing for the team.  I always thought of them as nothing more than hired guns.  Mercenaries.  Turncoats.  My lasting memory of Deion will always be that infamous pass interference he committed on Michael Irvin in the '95 Championship game.  And obviously T.O. with his star celebration shenanigans at midfield.

All those years they spent in Dallas, I don't think I ever celebrated a single touchdown they scored for the team.  Every time they scored for Dallas, I'd just grit my teeth and furrow my eyebrows.  I still don't understand how any self-respecting Cowboys fan could possibly cheer them on without feeling dirty.  Once an enemy, always an enemy.  And those 49ers and Eagles teams were some of the Cowboys' most reviled enemies.

Meanwhile, lesser players like Alvin Harper and Kenny Gant and Brock Marion have always been lifelong Cowboys in my heart, even after they left in free agency for other teams.

• Needmorerings, BigBlueStarNation and Londonboy like this

#2 Lococowboychica

Lococowboychica

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, New Mexico

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:33 AM

They both played before I really started watching but I do know their history a bit. I would say no. I'm trying to think of someone on our current team like that and I realize how few FA's we actually bring in here. I will say I do consider D Ware a Cowboy even though he went on to Denver. I guess that's the closest I can come up with.

#3 Londonboy

Londonboy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  • LocationPJG Europe Office

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:28 AM

I have never been able to accept Deion Sanders and Terrell Owens as Cowboys.  Not even during those years when they were playing for the team.  I always thought of them as nothing more than hired guns.  Mercenaries.  Turncoats.  My lasting memory of Deion will always be that infamous pass interference he committed on Michael Irvin in the '95 Championship game.  And obviously T.O. with his star celebration shenanigans at midfield.

All those years they spent in Dallas, I don't think I ever celebrated a single touchdown they scored for the team.  Every time they scored for Dallas, I'd just grit my teeth and furrow my eyebrows.  I still don't understand how any self-respecting Cowboys fan could possibly cheer them on without feeling dirty.  Once an enemy, always an enemy.  And those 49ers and Eagles teams were some of the Cowboys' most reviled enemies.

Meanwhile, lesser players like Alvin Harper and Kenny Gant and Brock Marion have always been lifelong Cowboys in my heart, even after they left in free agency for other teams.

There will always be a distinction in My mind between a former Cowboy and a former Cowboys player.

There is no exact definition, but I know 'em when I sees 'em.

The 2 You mentioned are former Cowboys players, Charles Haley is a former Cowboy, can't explain why, He just is.

• R.D. and BigBlueStarNation like this

Mini-Spotted-Dick-puddings.preview-340x2

#4 MistyAnn

MistyAnn

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationGalway Bay

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

Loved those guys, they were so cool and so able, my favourite Deion moment was his punt return TD against Philly on a Monday night in 1998, I never seen it, just heard it on the AFN, the commentator was just saying "here's Deion" and you could hear the decibel level reverberating around Texas Stadium no further commentary required, I'm sure it  may have looked good, but it sounded divine. We won 20-0, went 8-0 in the division that year, but sadly it was then Sun setting on the Superbowl Dynasty era for us.

TO was unstoppable when his hands were ready.

Of all the guys you mentioned, Brock Marrion is the kind of guy we're looking to mould for todays team.

Prime & TO were memorable though.

• Lococowboychica likes this

I

Love

Dallas

#5 Lococowboychica

Lococowboychica

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:07 PM

There will always be a distinction in My mind between a former Cowboy and a former Cowboys player.

There is no exact definition, but I know 'em when I sees 'em.

The 2 You mentioned are former Cowboys players, Charles Haley is a former Cowboy, can't explain why, He just is.

Well said. I don't consider Haley a Cowboy either. A Cowboy player yes. First of all he was drafted by the 49'ers, spent most of his career there and went in to the HOF as a 49'er. The same with Sanders and TO. Drafted by another team, spent only enough time here to make lots of money then take off to another team. I can't stand Deion Sanders. I'm not sure who's ego is larger, his or TO's. 

#6 Lococowboychica

Lococowboychica

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:09 PM

Loved those guys, they were so cool and so able, my favourite Deion moment was his punt return TD against Philly on a Monday night in 1998, I never seen it, just heard it on the AFN, the commentator was just saying "here's Deion" and you could hear the decibel level reverberating around Texas Stadium no further commentary required, I'm sure it  may have looked good, but it sounded divine. We won 20-0, went 8-0 in the division that year, but sadly it was then Sun setting on the Superbowl Dynasty era for us.

TO was unstoppable when his hands were ready.

Of all the guys you mentioned, Brock Marrion is the kind of guy we're looking to mould for todays team.

Prime & TO were memorable though.

Not drafed by the Cowboys. Spent more years on other teams than with Dallas. Both a Cowboy players but not rue Cowboys. Ken Norton yes, Everson Walls yes even though both played on different teams after they left. JMO though

#7 hipster.doofus7

hipster.doofus7

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:39 PM

I accept Charles Haley as a former Cowboy, even though he played the majority of his career with the 49ers.  Strangely, I've never been able to do the same for Deion, even though he played just one season with the 49ers.

I think the reason is because the 49ers weren't the Cowboys' hated rivals during those years Haley spent in San Francisco.  Haley was just some guy playing for some team that wasn't relevant to the Cowboys.  But Deion playing for the 49ers in '94 was a huge deal.  At the time, the Cowboys were like the 49ers' mount Everest.  They were the two best teams in the league, but the Cowboys always stood in the way of the 49ers and they always beat the crap out of the 49ers.  Enter Deion Sanders; he pushed the 49ers over the hump.  Finally the 49ers were able to beat and humiliate the Cowboys, after years of futility.  And it was all because of Deion Sanders.

Watching the Cowboys fall 0-21 in the first quarter under Barry Switzer was probably my worst memory ever, as a fan.  Deion prancing and dancing and strutting for the 49ers made my blood boil.  His blatant pass interference on Michael Irvin makes me rage every time I see the replay.  I never liked Deion's antics in Atlanta, and I despised him even more in San Francisco.  I still hate him today, lol.   I can't stand the guy.

#8 MistyAnn

MistyAnn

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationGalway Bay

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:41 PM

I see Cowboys, not 49ers, the prime thing does it for me, although it can be misleading in Maths quizzes as in, which of the following is not a prime number, 2,21,23.,31,41 or 81, you always get sucked into thinking 21 is a prime number because of Deion, when 23 would have been a more suitable number for Prime....

Anyways the answer to the question is "Both".

I

Love

Dallas

#9 dayonefan1960

dayonefan1960

Amateur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:55 PM

Yup, I think of them as Cowboys while they were team members. Just like I think of Jackie Smith as a Cowboy (instead of a Cardinal) when he dropped a sure thing end-zone catch against the Steelers in the Super Bowl. With trades and free agency, it's just part of it.

#10 bluesilver68

bluesilver68

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,779 posts
  • Locationis a place where someone can find you.

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:52 PM

What about Novacek? I consider him a Cowboy but yet he can be called a Cowboys player. He played 4 seasons with the St. L/ Phx Cards and then as a Plan B FA signed with Dallas for the next 7 seasons of his career.

I guess it's about your personal preference and/or what the player contributed to the team. Novacek contributed so much during his time at Dallas during the Dynasty that many would consider him more Cowboy than Deion. Novacek was a 3x SB Champ with the Cowboys while Deion was a 2x SB Champ....one with SF and one with Dallas.

Novacek is technically in the same boat as Sanders and Haley. I think it's Novacek's demeanor and the fact he was part of a dynasty for 3 SB's, carries a lot of weight with fans.

Haley has 2 SB's with Dallas. Sanders 1 SB with Dallas.

Owens? No SB's with Dallas. Although he was very productive on the field as were Sanders, Haley and Novacek.

• BigBlueStarNation and Londonboy like this

80c65ad012248307f6c623cddbbb1e31.jpg

#11 Needmorerings

Needmorerings

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationDeep South

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:56 PM

Terrell Owens - NEVER!  No one celebrates on our star in anything but a Cowboys uniform. 

DeMarco Murray - It hurts but after the "Going to the Eagles for a Super Bowl" comment, NOT a Cowboy.

Deion Sanders - I originally snarled at him when he came over but when he started making big plays for us, he won me over.  (I should be ashamed.  I wasn't until he attacked Romo with cheap insults.  Deion never tried to carry the team in the lean years.)

Just about everyone else that played for us - A Cowboy

#12 R.D.

R.D.

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:47 PM

T.O.  :

well... it would be easy to say no.  However, he really did light it up when he was here.  I believed then, & I continue to believe, nobody benefitted from T.O. more than Romo.  I truly feel like Owens put Romo on the map so to speak.  He was the freak WR that stretched defenses, & caught a LOT of TD's.  If he & Parcells could've worked together.... we very well may have won a Super Bowl in '07.  Nobody could possibly change my mind.  I watched all of those games.  I know what I saw. 

Having said that... is TO a Cowboy.........wow.  What a tough one to answer.  All I can say is, I loved me some TO when he was a Cowboy.  I don't consider him a Cowboy now.  I DO believe he belongs in the HOF though.  He's a ****** but there's plenty of those in Canton already so, he'll have plenty of company.  He deserves to have a gold jacket though.

Deion:

Well, when he was a Cowboy... I loved him.  He was a great player, & certainly earned his gold jacket.  As a person, I think he's punk.  Nothing more than an arrogant jerk.  I much prefer the humble approach from all time greats, than the look at me I was the best the game ever saw approach.  Great player, not someone I consider a Cowboy though.  Mostly because I don't consider Deion a team player at all.  Deion was about Deion.  On the field, & off the field.  He still is..... heck maybe even more so. 

I wouldn't want to see either TO or Deion to be in the Ring of Honor.  Although, again.... I think T.O. should join Deion in Canton.  Attitude wise, they're perfect for each other....lol

• Londonboy and MistyAnn like this

cowboys-cheerleader_12_.jpg

#13 nightrain

nightrain

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:11 PM

Mercenaries. Rooted for them while they played. Wanted T.O.'s exit before he was cut.

0pearson0428.png

Hey Dawkins, Westbrook; shut your mouth when you are talking to me.

#14 Warlord101

Warlord101

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:01 PM

Yes. They are as much Cowboys as Jay Novacek and any other free agent who helped the team succeed.
Also.... All you Romo lovers should thank god for TO. Without him Romo probably never gets a shot to start. And without TO he surely would’ve started out a below average quarterback. Without question.

#15 hipster.doofus7

hipster.doofus7

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:05 AM

All you Romo lovers should thank god for TO. Without him Romo probably never gets a shot to start. And without TO he surely would’ve started out a below average quarterback. Without question.

Meh... Romo got by just fine with an undrafted nobody as his primary receiver (Miles Austin).  He would've been fine without T.O.

• BigBlueStarNation likes this

#16 TexasStadium33

TexasStadium33

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:18 AM

Well said. I don't consider Haley a Cowboy either. A Cowboy player yes. First of all he was drafted by the 49'ers, spent most of his career there and went in to the HOF as a 49'er. The same with Sanders and TO. Drafted by another team, spent only enough time here to make lots of money then take off to another team. I can't stand Deion Sanders. I'm not sure who's ego is larger, his or TO's. 

Yeah, watching Haley run roughshod over his former team in big playoff games must've been hard to swallow. 

Boy, I tell ya. Y'all kill me with this 'true Cowboy' and non-Cowboy malarkey. 

I bet you all love Ken Norton, even as he did the opposite of what Haley did. Actually, he was worse. Funny how he couldn't play for Dallas' money, but was glad to play for peanuts for San Francisco

You all hate T.O. for what he did to Philly and San Francisco. 

Read the above sentence out loud 5x, and then ask yourself if you're really a fan of the Cowboys or not. 

HEY, SOMEBODY 'WRONGED' TEAMS THAT I CONSIDER MY RIVALS, AND NOW I HATE THAT PERSON. 

Damn you T.O. for doing my Eagles and 49ers wrong. 

That's YOU people talking. You hated T.O. for what he did to Philly...and SF. 

This is what makes the Cowboys fan base laughable. If T.O. had gone from Dallas TO Philly or S.F., they would've built him a statue on day one. 

But, noooooooo. Dallas "fans" hate a player for 'doing wrong' to rival teams. 

#17 BigBlueStarNation

BigBlueStarNation

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMarion, KY

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:48 AM

T.O.  ....... can't do it !!! I'd rather see George Teague in the Ring of Honor than T.O. simply for defending The STAR on September 24, 2000

"Neon" Deion  ..........  can't do it !!!!  Just a personal choice, great player but I never really liked him once he left Atlanta for 49ers....ever since Joe Montana tried to throw the ball out of the endzone and Dwight Clark jumped higher than any white man should be able to and brought the ball down..... I have a hard time liking any player who puts on that jersey.....

So... T.O., Deion, Haley, Norton Jr. (even though Dallas drafted him) .... I HATE THE 49ERS MOST OF ALL !!!!  They have done more damage to our ring count than the Gnats, Deadskins, and Eggles... The years that the Redskins have won the Superbowl the Cowboys weren't great... The years that the Giants won the Superbowl we weren't that great...... The years that the Eagles won the Superbowl the Cowboys weren't .....OH YEAH THAT'S RIGHT...lmao!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users