#1 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,104 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:06 AM

For me this is easy.  I've watched every live draft since ESPN started televising it.  These are players I had the worst initial reaction to when the card was read by the commish.

1.  Greg Ellis -  How the F this was not Randy Moss i'll never understand.  I'm still pissed.

2. Gavin Escobar -  He sucked in college and he sucked in Dallas too.  No shock to me.

3.  Chaz Green -  I've been roasting this pick on this board since the day it was made.  He sucked at Florida and was always injured.  

4.  Marty B-  I really hated this pick b/c we had just recently spent another 2nd round pick on Anthoney Fassano and Witten was no where near retirement.  

5.  Jason Williams -  Jerry,  hot off his Roy Williams trade figured the fan base hadn't suffered enough.  So,  he made this kid from western illinois the 5th pick in round 3.   Guess Michael Johnson or terrance knighton were not obscure enough for Jerry.  

#2 Lococowboychica

Lococowboychica

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, New Mexico

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:20 AM

I can't go that far back but Morris Claiborne for me. Moving up to get him,giving up a second rounder then having him miss 50% of the games while he was here. With a wunderlic score of 4? What happened to smart guys and Garrett's statement "he's a smart guy". And right on schedule for free agency he was coming around in his last year then BOOM another injury. Terrible pick. The other was Wilcox, trade down to get Frederick was great but got what? Wilcox? Nice pick in Freddy. Terrible pick in Wilcox 

#3 Lococowboychica

Lococowboychica

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:25 AM

I just read today that we could have had Fletcxher Cox instead of Claiborne too. That's three strikes and a complete miss

• atlantacowboy likes this

#4 Lococowboychica

Lococowboychica

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:28 AM

BTW, I don't hate on Jerry for them, that's all on the scouting department to me

• Mad_Max likes this

#5 Olde English 800

Olde English 800

Top Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:34 AM

1. Marcus Spears because Aaron Rodgers was still available.

2. Morris Claiborne - the Cowboys traded up to get him with Luke Keuchley and Fletcher Cox were available. (With the two picks the Rams got from the Boys the Rams drafted Michael Brockers and Janoris Jenkins.

3. Felix Jones - RBs Drafted after him were Chris Johnson, Jamal Charles, Matt Forte

4. Bobby aka Barbie Carpenter

5. Ebeneezer Ekuban

• atlantacowboy likes this

#6 uvaballa

uvaballa

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,215 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:35 AM

For me this is easy.  I've watched every live draft since ESPN started televising it.  These are players I had the worst initial reaction to when the card was read by the commish.

1.  Greg Ellis -  How the F this was not Randy Moss i'll never understand.  I'm still pissed.

2. Gavin Escobar -  He sucked in college and he sucked in Dallas too.  No shock to me.

3.  Chaz Green -  I've been roasting this pick on this board since the day it was made.  He sucked at Florida and was always injured.  

4.  Marty B-  I really hated this pick b/c we had just recently spent another 2nd round pick on Anthoney Fassano and Witten was no where near retirement.  

5.  Jason Williams -  Jerry,  hot off his Roy Williams trade figured the fan base hadn't suffered enough.  So,  he made this kid from western illinois the 5th pick in round 3.   Guess Michael Johnson or terrance knighton were not obscure enough for Jerry.  

No Carpenter? He should definitely be on the list and was a worse pick than Marty B. because he was a first rounder.

9tn384.jpg

#7 Cowboy Eric

Cowboy Eric

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:22 AM

liked Greg Ellis personally.

#8 Shotty

Shotty

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:33 AM

Not sure what's hard to  understand about Randy Moss, Jerry got suckered in by the PC/Holier than thou crowd and passed on Moss due to character concerns. The biggest regret of Jerry's time as GM too.

• bornafan1981 likes this

#9 lordnate

lordnate

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

Morris Claiborne was the most hated pick for me. It wasn't even the fact that he sucked and was injured all the time though. Its that we didn't read the draft we were in. In 2012, a record was set for most underclassmen declaring for the draft. That record has since been broken, but at the time it made for one of the deepest draft classes ever. We needed more picks that year, not less. To top it off, was the situation we were in as a team. We were extremely cap strapped and needed to fill the roster with cheap rookies. We weren't in a position to take one guy and then fill the roster in with free agents. We needed every draft pick we could get.

I can understand missing on an evaluation. It happens to every team. What I can't stand are picks like Felix Jones, Martellus Bennett, Gavin Escobar, etc., where we knew were we using an early draft pick on a guy that wasn't going to see the field very much. We've had some picks that were just terrible decisions regardless of talent and those piss me off.

• kskboys and atlantacowboy like this

#10 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 15,104 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

No Carpenter? He should definitely be on the list and was a worse pick than Marty B. because he was a first rounder.

My initial reaction to BC was "OK,  Bill Parcel's knows a thing or 2 about LBs"  BC had a good college career and good measurables. He looked liked like a great prospect........was actually our most disruptive defensive player in the Seattle playoff loss.  Nobody was bashing him after his first season.   Then Parcel's left and BC was moved to inside LB by Wade Phillips.   BC was never an ILB.  He was a pass rusher in college........Bill was using him as a pass rusher.   Wade looked at Bobby and saw ILB for some reason.  BC was never a fit after that and Parcels offered us a trade to get him to Miami..........which we declined.   So,  my opinion on Bobby is mixed.  I really think he would have had an entirely different career had Parcels stayed on longer.  By the time he was able to get away from Wade Phillips,  his confidence as a player was destroyed.  

• Mad_Max likes this

#11 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 15,104 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:01 PM

Not sure what's hard to  understand about Randy Moss, Jerry got suckered in by the PC/Holier than thou crowd and passed on Moss due to character concerns. The biggest regret of Jerry's time as GM too.

Its not that I don't understand what happened.  This is about initial reactions to draft selections.   At the time of the actual draft,  I was very deflated when they read Gregs name on the card.  Thats got nothing to do with what he did in Dallas.  That was just the most disappointed i have ever been after hearing a draft selection.

#12 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 15,104 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

Morris Claiborne was the most hated pick for me. It wasn't even the fact that he sucked and was injured all the time though. Its that we didn't read the draft we were in. In 2012, a record was set for most underclassmen declaring for the draft. That record has since been broken, but at the time it made for one of the deepest draft classes ever. We needed more picks that year, not less. To top it off, was the situation we were in as a team. We were extremely cap strapped and needed to fill the roster with cheap rookies. We weren't in a position to take one guy and then fill the roster in with free agents. We needed every draft pick we could get.

I can understand missing on an evaluation. It happens to every team. What I can't stand are picks like Felix Jones, Martellus Bennett, Gavin Escobar, etc., where we knew were we using an early draft pick on a guy that wasn't going to see the field very much. We've had some picks that were just terrible decisions regardless of talent and those piss me off.

I didn't hate Mo when we drafted him.  I hated the trade up and additional pick we gave up for him.  But, at the time,  the Dallas scouting department was declaring him the best college CB prospect since Dieon Sanders.  When the scouts get it wrong,  everyone looks foolish.  

• Lococowboychica likes this

#13 Lococowboychica

Lococowboychica

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:08 PM

I didn't hate Mo when we drafted him.  I hated the trade up and additional pick we gave up for him.  But, at the time,  the Dallas scouting department was declaring him the best college CB prospect since Dieon Sanders.  When the scouts get it wrong,  everyone looks foolish.  

Yes, that's what I meant when I said I don't hold Jerry responsible for the Claiborne pick. Or for any of the good or bad really. When I look at this years first round pick, Charlton, I didn't like it at first at all. I don't like it anymore today but he's still young and learning. We thought there were better options later but management got all wadded up on a "war daddy". Still think Jordan Willis would have been a better pick there if we were insisting on a DE. Again, we give the scouting department a free pass for these picks because it's easiest to blame everything on one guy, Jerry. We should not give the scouting department a free pass for a job they're clearly meant to do and do well IMO

#14 lordnate

lordnate

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:10 AM

Morris Claiborne was also the last 1st round pick that we made where we didn't bring him in for a predraft interview. The explanation was that we never dreamed we'd have a chance to draft him, so we didn't do our full homework on him.

And I really laughed at the best prospect since Deion Sanders statement. I mean, I didn't expect him to be as bad as he was, but there is no way a corner is going to be in the same zip code as Deion Sanders without having 4.3 speed. Some corners are very good without elite speed, but to be great you have to be able to run stride for stride with everyone. And the best corner prospect since Deion Sanders was Champ Bailey. Not just in his career, but dude was an absolute beast of a prospect too. Charles Woodson could contend with him though. Woodson was one of the few defensive Heisman Trophy winners in the history of the Heisman.

#15 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,822 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:16 AM

Morris Claiborne was also the last 1st round pick that we made where we didn't bring him in for a predraft interview. The explanation was that we never dreamed we'd have a chance to draft him, so we didn't do our full homework on him.

And I really laughed at the best prospect since Deion Sanders statement. I mean, I didn't expect him to be as bad as he was, but there is no way a corner is going to be in the same zip code as Deion Sanders without having 4.3 speed. Some corners are very good without elite speed, but to be great you have to be able to run stride for stride with everyone. And the best corner prospect since Deion Sanders was Champ Bailey. Not just in his career, but dude was an absolute beast of a prospect too. Charles Woodson could contend with him though. Woodson was one of the few defensive Heisman Trophy winners in the history of the Heisman.

Mo's measurables and scouting reports simply did not match the Deion comparisons.    I've never been able to figure out what made so many scouts fall in love w/ him.    His scouting report read like a 3rd round talent.  

• Mad_Max likes this

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#16 N D F'n Q

N D F'n Q

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:02 AM

Quincy Carter. Hands down. Then 3 picks later...Tony Dixon

#17 Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:08 PM

Mo's measurables and scouting reports simply did not match the Deion comparisons.    I've never been able to figure out what made so many scouts fall in love w/ him.    His scouting report read like a 3rd round talent.  

Should have been 7th round. I fought for him for years. I just knew he would get great. Never did.

Some days I don't know if I am washing or hanging out. Yes, I am a Dak fan. I also was a Tony fan.

#18 Lococowboychica

Lococowboychica

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:09 PM

We certainly haven't had any to love over the last 5 years.I didn't like Brandon Carr. He was a high character guy and never missed a game but his contract should have bought more than that

#19 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,822 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:17 AM

We certainly haven't had any to love over the last 5 years.I didn't like Brandon Carr. He was a high character guy and never missed a game but his contract should have bought more than that

Yup. And that's our own fault. We gave top CB money to a guy who isn't particularly fast or quick. Think about that.

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#20 Northern_Cowboy

Northern_Cowboy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts
  • LocationNorth of Dallas

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

I'm pissed too we didn't take Moss but Ellis was still a solid pick and had a very productive career. The worst pick in my opinion was Bobby Carpenter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users