#1 boogerfan

boogerfan

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • LocationIrving Texas

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

Garrett has become a whipping boy for frustrated fans who tire of holding the root of the Cowboys issue accountable who hired Jason with only 2 years experience as a QB coach.The most under qualified OC then HC probably in NFL history. Most certainly in Cowboy history. Our brilliant owner, Pres and GM named him “ the future of the Dallas Cowboys”.

In a situation where critics don’t really expect anyone to have much control or success under Jerry including one of the greatest HC ( Parcells) and DC( Wade) this era we continue to hold Garrett to a higher level of expectations.

Garrett has become the 2nd winninest coach in Cowboy history and only the 3rd to be recognized as Coach of the Year but we continue to use him as a scapegoat .

Unless we’re expecting some kind of family intervention with Jerry or after 20 + years an absolution which may never come ..this is it Cowboy fans.

I’d recommend embracing a HC with strong Cowboy ties who not only wants to be here but determined to weather the storm providing probably our best hope in our dysfunctional situation with Jerry’s stranglehold on football operations.
Super Bowl or Bust!!

#2 acr731

acr731

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,954 posts
  • LocationTEXAS!

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:41 PM

What time are you and Garrett sitting down for dinner? Surely JG and his biggest fan share intimate moments together. Do you two do the 2 straw 1 milkshake thing?
  • Big_D, Dstar, 1Cowboysdude and 4 others like this

#3 Kal-El of Krypton

Kal-El of Krypton

• Moderators
  • 9,603 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:50 PM

Almost 8 seasons of Garrett, I would like to think after 8 years at a job I'd be showing more progress than he has so far.

• Dstar, Ballhawk, Ozone22 and 4 others like this

#4 Creeper

Creeper

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

Garrett is not a scapegoat. His performance as HC speaks for itself. We have seen the clock management problems. We have seen the problems with game management, the lack of adjustments, etc. for years. He's just not a very good head coach and its obvious. There is no doubt that Jerry is the problem with the Cowboys but that does not excuse Garrett. If Jerry hired a GM and gave him full reign over this team I would bet Garrett would be fired almost instantly. AND, no team would pick him up as either a head coach or OC. Guaranteed.
  • 1Cowboysdude, The Vaquero and findanny like this

#5 Rawhide 74

Rawhide 74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts
  • Location15 miles from the Linc

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:59 PM

I certainly think there are better head coaches that could make more of our talent but he may be the best we can expect to tolerate Jerry

#6 Lococowboychica

Lococowboychica

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, New Mexico

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:00 PM

I've heard everything. Blame the coach, blame the GM, blame the NFL commissioner, blame the owner, To my knowledge none of them strap on the pads and play the game on Thursday, Sunday or Monday. Even read that we should bring in a coach from college who has ZERO experience coaching at the NFL level. One who will quickly find out that he isn't coaching college boys, he's now coaching professional football players, most of whom will make more money than the coach ever will. Not to mention, reporting to an NFL owner not some athletic director in college. Many college coaches have learned that lesson very quickly.

Give me an experienced coach, who knows all of the above things with the owner and maintains calm within the team when things aren't going well, over an inexperienced ego maniac any day of the week. Jimmy lasted 3 year and couldn't hack it. Sometimes coaches learn how to share the ego space. JG has. Some never do. Want a new coach, better start with an understanding of what it's like to coach for the highest valued team in sports And be ready to park your ego at the door.

#7 acr731

acr731

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,954 posts
  • LocationTEXAS!

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:01 PM

Garrett might get hired as a water / towel boy. But then he'd probably get fired for snapping the towels at the players rear ends.

#8 boogerfan

boogerfan

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • LocationIrving Texas

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:02 PM

Almost 8 seasons of Garrett, I would like to think after 8 years at a job I'd be showing more progress than he has so far.

You must have higher expectations who now with 20+ seasons insistence on proving he’s a football guy even still at age 75 is the Cowboys greatest obstacle not wanting a HC who could recieve more credit than him.

I’ve maintained Garrett is probably the best candidate under the circumstances and feel very fortunate he’s developed into the HC he has with unbelievably only 2 years experience coming in.

Who names a QB coach with only 2 years coaching experience “ the future of the Dallas Cowboys” ??

Considering our dysfunctional situation I’m actually impressed with how Garrett has developed and where he’s taken our team.
Super Bowl or Bust!!

#9 acr731

acr731

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,954 posts
  • LocationTEXAS!

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:03 PM

@ Chica: Jimmy lasted 5 years, and got fed up because of Jerry. Are you saying he couldn't hack it as a coach or couldn't hack the BS from Jerry?

#10 boogerfan

boogerfan

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • LocationIrving Texas

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

I've heard everything. Blame the coach, blame the GM, blame the NFL commissioner, blame the owner, To my knowledge none of them strap on the pads and play the game on Thursday, Sunday or Monday. Even read that we should bring in a coach from college who has ZERO experience coaching at the NFL level. One who will quickly find out that he isn't coaching college boys, he's now coaching professional football players, most of whom will make more money than the coach ever will. Not to mention, reporting to an NFL owner not some athletic director in college. Many college coaches have learned that lesson very quickly.

Give me an experienced coach, who knows all of the above things with the owner and maintains calm within the team when things aren't going well, over an inexperienced ego maniac any day of the week. Jimmy lasted 3 year and couldn't hack it. Sometimes coaches learn how to share the ego space. JG has. Some never do. Want a new coach, better start with an understanding of what it's like to coach for the highest valued team in sports And be ready to park your ego at the door.

For the record Jimmy was here 5 seasons. 1989,1990,1991, 1992 and 1993.
Super Bowl or Bust!!

#11 Cookie Dough OD

Cookie Dough OD

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

Lol.
zRD4PUC.jpg

#12 Lococowboychica

Lococowboychica

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

@ Chica: Jimmy lasted 5 years, and got fed up because of Jerry. Are you saying he couldn't hack it as a coach or couldn't hack the BS from Jerry?

Oh god yes, I said 3 forgetting that the first two were LEARNING years for Jimmy and the team and not very successful. What Jimmy eventually learned was that his ego and JJ's were too large for the same room. I'm saying Jimmy's ego was as BIG as JJ's. They couldn't coexist. In all honesty no, he couldn't hack it as a coach. His record after Dallas speaks for itself. JJ and JJ worked well together for a very short period of time. I wont apologize for JG's ability to coexist with JJ.

Want a new coach? Find one who will park their ego at the door

#13 Lococowboychica

Lococowboychica

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:15 PM

For the record Jimmy was here 5 seasons. 1989,1990,1991, 1992 and 1993.

For the record, 3 were successful, the other two learning years. What JJ learned was, he had an ego that needed to be stroked and stroked often. You decide which JJ I'm referring too.

JMO of course. Makes for good Sunday morning banter

#14 acr731

acr731

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,954 posts
  • LocationTEXAS!

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:19 PM

So keeping Garrett because he doesn't have an ego like Jimmy is the best way to go? What are the goals of this franchise, championships or harmony between the HC and owner / GM? Keeping Garrett ensures harmony and nothing else. I want to see a winner, not a bunch of guys who get along but suck at their jobs.
  • Ballhawk, 1Cowboysdude and TexasStadium33 like this

#15 boogerfan

boogerfan

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • LocationIrving Texas

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

Oh god yes, I said 3 forgetting that the first two were LEARNING years for Jimmy and the team and not very successful. What Jimmy eventually learned was that his ego and JJ's were too large for the same room. I'm saying Jimmy's ego was as BIG as JJ's. They couldn't coexist. In all honesty no, he couldn't hack it as a coach. His record after Dallas speaks for itself. JJ and JJ worked well together for a very short period of time. I wont apologize for JG's ability to coexist with JJ.

Want a new coach? Find one who will park their ego at the door

Actually Jimmys second season was very successful with one of the greatest turn arounds in NFL history.He turned a 1-15 team into a 7-9 team earning NFL Coach of the Year.

If you recall the Cowboys lost Troy in week 14 and were 7-7 losing the last 2 games with Babe Laufenberg at QB and the Cowboys playoff hopes came down to the final game of the NFL season on Monday Night with a Saints game in which they had to win to finish 8-8 knocking out the Cowboys or we would have qualified as the first losing record team in playoffs at 7-9. DYK that?
  • Ballhawk and atlantacowboy like this
Super Bowl or Bust!!

#16 Lococowboychica

Lococowboychica

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:31 PM

Jimmy was incredibly fortunate. Jerry helped make him a successful NFL coach and comfortable in his old age. Jerry had deep pockets. AND it was a time BEFORE FA when deep pockets mattered. The deep pockets brought in guys like Haley and Deion. We paid for that deep pocket mentality with the hard cap. Deep pockets no longer mattered. Jerry had to learn to play by the rules

Jimmy went on to Coach in Miami, where he never had a chance to say "how about them Dolphins"!! Jimmy without the deep pockets was just another coach. Then there was Switzer who reaped the final benefits of the deep pockets

#17 boogerfan

boogerfan

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • LocationIrving Texas

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

So keeping Garrett because he doesn't have an ego like Jimmy is the best way to go? What are the goals of this franchise, championships or harmony between the HC and owner / GM? Keeping Garrett ensures harmony and nothing else. I want to see a winner, not a bunch of guys who get along but suck at their jobs.

I think it’s obvious the goals have changed or at least been reprioritized this era under Jerry.

Only wanting to win your way so a HC doesn’t recieve more credit than yourself defintely alters priorities.

I’m not sure if all fans recognize what this means and have adjusted their expectations accordingly .

I see Garrett like a last hope to intertwine and hopefully overcome the 75 year old Football Idiot set in his ways to prove to the world he can build a championship team without a greater HC like Jimmy.
  • TexasStadium33 and Lococowboychica like this
Super Bowl or Bust!!

#18 Cookie Dough OD

Cookie Dough OD

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:34 PM

Football idiot lmao.

That's what the name of his special should have been. A Football Idiots life.
zRD4PUC.jpg

#19 Lococowboychica

Lococowboychica

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:38 PM

It is a must for all to realize that Jerry is the owner. He isn't going to change.Accept it or be sour until he dies. He loves the lime light. Guess what, this forum gives us all some lime light in the football world, as sour as that lime is.

The only coach who can coach in Dallas is one with a small ego. We all have one BTW but sometimes we have to put our egos aside for the sake living a quiet, peaceful life. Always feeding one's ever growing ego will end in starvation. Jerry and Jimmy were living, breathing proof of that. Each made the other better and they HATED that. They both wanted the lime light and then found out that when you have it, it's sour

To be successful in this organization is to be able to park one's ego at the door. Accept it

#20 boogerfan

boogerfan

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • LocationIrving Texas

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:39 PM

Jimmy was incredibly fortunate. Jerry helped make him a successful NFL coach and comfortable in his old age. Jerry had deep pockets. AND it was a time BEFORE FA when deep pockets mattered. The deep pockets brought in guys like Haley and Deion. We paid for that deep pocket mentality with the hard cap. Deep pockets no longer mattered. Jerry had to learn to play by the rules

Jimmy went on to Coach in Miami, where he never had a chance to say "how about them Dolphins"!! Jimmy without the deep pockets was just another coach. Then there was Switzer who reaped the final benefits of the deep pockets

That might be your take but isnt totally accurate. You have some of it correct.

Jimmy actually turned Miami around making them a playoff team again. Herzog had plenty of money and deep pockets but wasn’t willing to start over or shake it up like Jimmy wanted by trading Marino.
  • Ballhawk and 1Cowboysdude like this
Super Bowl or Bust!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users