66 replies to this topic

#61 DanAn

DanAn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

There is little need to trade Beasely, he is good WR still in his prime, even if you trade him you still need to replace him, the Pats do well with 2 slots we can utilise both.

It's all well a good to say the Pats do well with 2 slot receiver but it's a completely different offense. How do you propose Dallas keeps its run-first identity with both Beasley and Switzer on the field?  They aren't exactly doing a lot with respect to blocking. To me, it makes more sense to me to keep doing what we've been doing and leaning on Zeke, if anything shift towards playing a bigger guy out of the slot that can help the run game or more 12 personnel.

#62 LeedsCowboys

LeedsCowboys

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:58 PM

It's all well a good to say the Pats do well with 2 slot receiver but it's a completely different offense. How do you propose Dallas keeps its run-first identity with both Beasley and Switzer on the field?  They aren't exactly doing a lot with respect to blocking. To me, it makes more sense to me to keep doing what we've been doing and leaning on Zeke, if anything shift towards playing a bigger guy out of the slot that can help the run game or more 12 personnel.

You can still have both, both have similar roles, Beasley is your classic slot WR, Switzer I see as Dunbar's replacement the COP/ Scat back, he is quicker than Beaze, we use him on the Jet sweep a lot once he is up to speed on our Offence having both on the field at the same time will cause nightmare match ups,(imagine having set ups with Zeke in the backfield, Beaze and Switzer in the slot, Dez as the X, and Rod Smith/new WR, as the Y) no point in make our offence weaker and making it easier for defences to match up.

darryl-moose-johnston.jpg

#63 DanAn

DanAn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:24 AM

You can still have both, both have similar roles, Beasley is your classic slot WR, Switzer I see as Dunbar's replacement the COP/ Scat back, he is quicker than Beaze, we use him on the Jet sweep a lot once he is up to speed on our Offence having both on the field at the same time will cause nightmare match ups,(imagine having set ups with Zeke in the backfield, Beaze and Switzer in the slot, Dez as the X, and Rod Smith/new WR, as the Y) no point in make our offence weaker and making it easier for defences to match up.

I just don't agree with that analysis. Switzer is not a Dunbar replacement. Dunbar had three 1000 yard rushing seasons in college and three 300 yards receiving seasons. He was proven as a change of pace back. Switzer had 84 yards total rushing and I've seen nothing at NFL level to suggest he can.

Switzer had a 4.51 forty at the combine which is probably comparable to Beasley's 4.49 forty at his pro-day.....neither is fast and it's why when Switzer runs the jet sweep he averages 1.5 ypc while lucky was averaging 8-10 ypc. Lucky ran a 4.39 forty and speed matters on that particular play. Nobody is worried about Switzer getting away from them and so don't commit to hard to it. Even if Lucky did fumble too often, teams still had to commit to covering him because of his speed.

And that's just a weird setup that I don't think works at all. Rod Smith and Zeke want to carry the ball or in the passing game catch screen passes, Beasley and Switzer want to catch balls underneath.....so it's just going to leave a lot of bodies close to the line of scrimmage and limiting blocking ability without TE's. With so many guys close to the line of scrimmage, that's going stifle the run, stiffle play action and minimise the threat of Dak gaining yards with his feet.  Defenses could pretty much put everybody inside 15-yards of the LOS without fear of anybody getting in behind them. Maybe just offer a bit of help with Dez is all.....At NFL level that's not gonna cut it. 

In a run-first offense, you can't put Switzer and Beasley on the field together on a regular basis. It just doesn't work.

• QCE likes this

#64 beware d-ware

beware d-ware

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:17 AM

I think the problem is the offense in general lacks speed. Defenses are pressing the hell out of our receivers because no one scares them downfield. Granted, that worked to our advantage on Sunday when the Giants missed a few tackles and it was off to the races, but it's been working against us more often than not.

I still don't agree with it, but I can kind of see why Linehan sent Dez downfield so much in 2014-2016.

Anyway, everyone on here's like like "draft a speed WR rounds 3-5", but I don't think it's that simple. There's a lot of dudes out there who run a 4.4, but the kind of deep threat who makes DBs take a step back is harder to find than some think.

r0nferno6hcknej1omkj.gif

#65 LeedsCowboys

LeedsCowboys

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:37 AM

I just don't agree with that analysis. Switzer is not a Dunbar replacement. Dunbar had three 1000 yard rushing seasons in college and three 300 yards receiving seasons. He was proven as a change of pace back. Switzer had 84 yards total rushing and I've seen nothing at NFL level to suggest he can.

Switzer had a 4.51 forty at the combine which is probably comparable to Beasley's 4.49 forty at his pro-day.....neither is fast and it's why when Switzer runs the jet sweep he averages 1.5 ypc while lucky was averaging 8-10 ypc. Lucky ran a 4.39 forty and speed matters on that particular play. Nobody is worried about Switzer getting away from them and so don't commit to hard to it. Even if Lucky did fumble too often, teams still had to commit to covering him because of his speed.

And that's just a weird setup that I don't think works at all. Rod Smith and Zeke want to carry the ball or in the passing game catch screen passes, Beasley and Switzer want to catch balls underneath.....so it's just going to leave a lot of bodies close to the line of scrimmage and limiting blocking ability without TE's. With so many guys close to the line of scrimmage, that's going stifle the run, stiffle play action and minimise the threat of Dak gaining yards with his feet.  Defenses could pretty much put everybody inside 15-yards of the LOS without fear of anybody getting in behind them. Maybe just offer a bit of help with Dez is all.....At NFL level that's not gonna cut it. 

In a run-first offense, you can't put Switzer and Beasley on the field together on a regular basis. It just doesn't work.

It's all about creating mismatches, and if other teams can play mismatches then why not use ? you can still be a run first team but if you do not have the personal to create mismatches when the game needs it, then you will become predictable and easy to defend against and win.

darryl-moose-johnston.jpg

#66 Dallas7272

Dallas7272

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:20 AM

What do you all think of this trade? Is it possible, just plain dumb or what? LOL!Dak and Dez for Garoppolo and the 49ers 1st round pick.

Wow. Et Tu Brute'

#67 DcFootball4

DcFootball4

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted Yesterday, 07:38 AM

A list of former NE backups from the Belichick/Brady era who’ve gone on to be franchise QBs elsewhere:

....................?

This is actually what has me a bit confused.. I just don't see what definitely makes Garoppolo a franchise QB. I mean he has been good at times, but so has Dak. Dak has also started more games. I personally would rather stick with Dak; only his second year. Not to mention having a guy like Dak who is still cheap while he is learning the ropes and if we acquired Garoppolo he would want a much bigger contract and you still cant be positive about him being your franchise guy.
Whoever controls the media, controls the mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users