On Now
Coming Up
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

Join Mickey, Bryan, and Rowan as they breakdown all of the latest Cowboys news.

• Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 4:45PM - 5:20PM CST Live On Air With DC Star Magazine Join Josh Ellis and Jeff Sullivan for an in-depth look into Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 10:15AM - 10:40AM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 2:30PM - 3:30PM CST Live Fantasy Friday Join Rowan Kavner and Ed Cahill as they talk Fantasy Football.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Wed., Nov. 20, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.

Photo

3rd Quarterback

Practice Needs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 jumbo075

jumbo075

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts
  • LocationGolden Colorado

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:08 AM

A lot of fans don't think about this too much, but every team in the NFL needs a 3rd QB on their roster primarily to fill the needs of practice during the weeks between games. This is why, if the team wins the Superbowl, they give championship rings to the WHOLE team, not just the players who happen to play in the game.

The reality is that the 3rd QB is usually responsible for getting with the coaches and scouts, and learn the tendencies of the QB for the next opponent. Then, during practice in the week leading up to the game, the 3rd QB runs the Scout Team, and tries to imitate the next opposing QB. This helps the defense prepare for the game on Sunday and is invaluable.

In contrast, the 1st and 2nd QB keep their focus on improving the Cowboys offense, and pay little to no attention to the offense of the team they are about to oppose. Instead, they study the opposing defenses. This is why the 3rd QB is so important to the team. His primary job is to help prepare the first string defense for the upcoming game.

This year, the Cowboys only have 4 QB's on the roster, and their is justifiable speculation that the Cowboys might choose to carry only 2 QB's on the 53 man roster. This means that the Cowboys MUST reserve at least one spot on the Practice Squad to fill the role of the 3rd QB during the practice week, and run the Scout Team. But, neither McGee nor Carpenter are eligible to be put on the Practice Squad under NFL rules. Both of them already have too much experience. So, if the Cowboys do choose to cut both McGee and Carpenter on September 1st, then the Cowboys will be scouring the waiver wire to find a Practice Squad QB.

You can bet that right now the Cowboys Scouting department is surreptitiously evaluating QB's on other NFL roster so that they can scoop up a Practice Squad QB when the time comes. If they can't find one, the Cowboys may be forced to keep McGee or Carpenter on the 53 man roster just so they have someone to help prepare the defense in practice every week during the season.

#2 Capn b

Capn b

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,323 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:19 AM

I don't think they will keep one unless on the PS like you said. And I don't think Rudy can go on the PS. I say that cause I have a hard time thinking Mcgee is gonna make this team again. If the unthinkable happens, I think they would give Rudy a call before Steven Mcgee back

#3 jumbo075

jumbo075

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:23 AM

I don't think they will keep one unless on the PS like you said. And I don't think Rudy can go on the PS. I say that cause I have a hard time thinking Mcgee is gonna make this team again. If the unthinkable happens, I think they would give Rudy a call before Steven Mcgee back

You are right. Rudy cannot go on the PS. It will interesting who the Cowboys bring in for the PS if they choose to cut both Rudy and Steven.

#4 MarcusRock

MarcusRock

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:24 AM

I agree. The signature Orton put on his contract also doubled as McGee's walking papers.

ku4c9huxo4mi8y4fg.jpg

#5 cnuball21

cnuball21

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

...should not be Stephen McGee

#6 TruBlueSince1982

TruBlueSince1982

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:46 AM

If we need a third QB, well, I am available....

"Let it be so,..... Let it be written..."

Best-NFL-Week-15-GIFs-Cowboys-WR-Dez-Bry

;)

#7 MarcusRock

MarcusRock

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:50 AM

If we need a third QB, well, I am available....

Give it up Brett Favre. It's over.

ku4c9huxo4mi8y4fg.jpg

#8 GMO415

GMO415

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,543 posts
  • Location714

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:55 AM

Goodbye McGee, Gig Em

jesus_loves_cowboys__no_lighting_copy.jp

#9 TruBlueSince1982

TruBlueSince1982

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:57 AM

Give it up Brett Favre. It's over.

Lmao

"Let it be so,..... Let it be written..."

Best-NFL-Week-15-GIFs-Cowboys-WR-Dez-Bry

;)

#10 Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationAt the Thunder Dome

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:38 AM

I had the radio on today.The talking heads think Carpenter is doing better than Mcgee.I dont like Mcgee at all and hope they cut him.He just isnt a good quarterback.He takes too long looking for a receiver.And starts running.

I am losing my mind!  But as long as i keep the part that tells me when i gotta pee,i should be ok.

I'm not crazy,I'm just special!! ..No wait... Maybe i am crazy,one second... I have to talk to myself about this,hold on...

#11 jumbo075

jumbo075

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:01 AM

I had the radio on today.The talking heads think Carpenter is doing better than Mcgee.I dont like Mcgee at all and hope they cut him.He just isnt a good quarterback.He takes too long looking for a receiver.And starts running.

On the other hand, what has Carpenter ever done? He's been on a couple practice squads, but has been in the league long enough so he can't go on the practice squad again.

#12 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,678 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg/York, Pennsylvania!!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:02 AM

I'm convinced that the 3rd qb isn't on this team i'm sorry, we have the worst 2 young backups ever!!

I MADE THIS!!! #Coogiguy03

95xox.jpgvia

Imgflip Meme Maker

#13 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 26,678 posts

exactly what I heard!

95xox.jpgvia

Imgflip Meme Maker

#14 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 26,678 posts

Goodbye McGee, Gig Em

TOODLES!!

95xox.jpgvia

Imgflip Meme Maker

#15 kskboys

kskboys

Ring of Honor

• Moderators
  • 28,950 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:04 AM

I thought I remembered that the NFL changed the rules to allow an extra roster spot only for a 3rd QB?

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#16 jumbo075

jumbo075

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:25 AM

I thought I remembered that the NFL changed the rules to allow an extra roster spot only for a 3rd QB?

That is a game-day rule, not a 53 man roster rule. What you are talking about is that on game day, the teams can only dress 45 of the 53 players on the roster. 8 players are inactive. But the NFL allows the 3rd QB to be inactive, but also dress for the game. He is essentially the 46th player. If he comes into the game, the other two QB's CANNOT reenter the game - kind of like taking out a pitcher in baseball.

If the team puts the 3rd QB on the active 45 man game roster, then they can alternate their QB's as much as they want. But if the 3rd QB is the 46th guy, then once he comes in the game, the game day roster is reduced to 44 active players, because the other two QB's immediately become inactive.

But, the teams CANNOT activate their 3rd QB if he is just a practice squad player. He has to be on the 53 man roster in order to be the 46th guy on game day.

#17 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 26,678 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:45 AM

that's what I thought to

95xox.jpgvia

Imgflip Meme Maker

#18 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 26,678 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:45 AM

Or something with the new cba negotiations that we're allowed to dress a 3rd qb

95xox.jpgvia

Imgflip Meme Maker

#19 dshinn

dshinn

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:08 AM

A lot of fans don't think about this too much, but every team in the NFL needs a 3rd QB on their roster primarily to fill the needs of practice during the weeks between games. This is why, if the team wins the Superbowl, they give championship rings to the WHOLE team, not just the players who happen to play in the game.

The reality is that the 3rd QB is usually responsible for getting with the coaches and scouts, and learn the tendencies of the QB for the next opponent. Then, during practice in the week leading up to the game, the 3rd QB runs the Scout Team, and tries to imitate the next opposing QB. This helps the defense prepare for the game on Sunday and is invaluable.

In contrast, the 1st and 2nd QB keep their focus on improving the Cowboys offense, and pay little to no attention to the offense of the team they are about to oppose. Instead, they study the opposing defenses. This is why the 3rd QB is so important to the team. His primary job is to help prepare the first string defense for the upcoming game.

This year, the Cowboys only have 4 QB's on the roster, and their is justifiable speculation that the Cowboys might choose to carry only 2 QB's on the 53 man roster. This means that the Cowboys MUST reserve at least one spot on the Practice Squad to fill the role of the 3rd QB during the practice week, and run the Scout Team. But, neither McGee nor Carpenter are eligible to be put on the Practice Squad under NFL rules. Both of them already have too much experience. So, if the Cowboys do choose to cut both McGee and Carpenter on September 1st, then the Cowboys will be scouring the waiver wire to find a Practice Squad QB.

You can bet that right now the Cowboys Scouting department is surreptitiously evaluating QB's on other NFL roster so that they can scoop up a Practice Squad QB when the time comes. If they can't find one, the Cowboys may be forced to keep McGee or Carpenter on the 53 man roster just so they have someone to help prepare the defense in practice every week during the season.

When have teams done this? I have never heard of NFL teams doing that. There is just no way we keep 3 QB's on the 53. Too many needs at other positions. McGee has been terrible in camp and Carpenter isnt doing much better. Only way we keep a 3rd QB is if its on the PS like you said

#20 boutteman

boutteman

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe area, NV

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:42 AM

We don't need no stinking 3rd QB... save the spot for an extra 2nd half offensive coordinator, ya know, for those games when Red~Jesus has his head stuck way up somewhere it doesn't belong and not having the foresight to make changes in his gameplans.

JGpiggie.jpg