You are here

Photo

Super bowl head coaches.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 frenchy

frenchy

Novice User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

I am failing to see the enameration with firing Jason Garrett and hiring a coach that has already won a Super Bowl. Many coaches have tried to recapture their magic with another team (even our own beloved Jimmy Johnson) but has any coach led two different teams to Super Bowl Titles? I can't think of any. Since Johnson left, our coaching situation has been a carrousel. Romo is on his third head coach, and I think his fourth offinsive coordinator. The teams in the hunt every year are one's committed to their football philopsophy and provide stability. The head coach talk reaks of another Jones attempt to ignore the roster problems in the trenches and try to sign a big name to appease the base and sell merchandise. (I know a coaches name is not on a Jersey, but the excitement over a big name would increase player Jersey sales.) Garrett has not been perfect by any means, but I think he is a good head coach. Instead of replacing him, giving him the help of a true offensive coordinator so he can concentrate on one set of responsibilities instead of two would help more than starting over with a whole new locker room philosophy.

#2 Willpak

Willpak

Landry Hat

• Moderators
  • 34,956 posts
  • Locationis none of your business. =)

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

I agree. But we won't get an OC. Why? I don't exactly know but it's a combination of Garrett and Jerry.

I believe Garrett gets one more year at least. He's had his share of bone-headed decisions but he's been getting better, just like anyone else that gains experience.

This team was a mess when Phillips was fired, now we've picked up some key players (Lee, Carter, Murray, Claiborne, Carr) and we are getting better, but this was too big a mess to fix overnight. Increasing our talent through the Oline and Dline as well as adding depth to other positions will further improve us. We're on a good path right now.

Hard work will always overcome natural talent when natural talent doesn't work hard enough. - Alex Ferguson

#3 frenchy

frenchy

Novice User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

Wade Phillips is a pefect example of why we should have coordinators. When he had two jobs to do, his defense fell of dramatically. Now as a coordinator, so he only has the one job, Texans have turned into a formidable defense. I was hoping Todd Haley would get picked up when the chiefs let him go. Our offense was really good when he was here.

#4 frenchy

frenchy

Novice User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

I wonder if Garrett's ego is just to big to admit he needs to lessen the work load so he can concentrate on doing his job well, not splitting two jobs so-so.

#5 Casualfiddle

Casualfiddle

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationDubuque, Iowa

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

did gruden, and holmgerm both win superbowls on different teams?

id rather have as stated an OC, DC, and a Head Coach

UcG3t6n.jpg

#6 greggtxsports

greggtxsports

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,066 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

No, but they took 2 different teams to a Super Bowl as there have been several. But none have won it with 2 different teams but that's a misleading stat because most all SB winning coaches have uplifted the team they went to.

Trying to think of one who didn't?

Jason+Garrett+Dallas+Cowboys+v+San+Diego

AKA diehardblues.

#7 Go_Deep_Blue_and_Silver

Go_Deep_Blue_and_Silver

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationIn the QC

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

Neither won a SB with their other teams. Gruden never took Oakland to the SB. Holmgren won it with Packers and lost it with Seahawks.
Gene

#8 Richard Kimball

Richard Kimball

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

No, but they took 2 different teams to a Super Bowl as there have been several. But none have won it with 2 different teams but that's a misleading stat because most all SB winning coaches have uplifted the team they went to.

George Seifert didn't do much with the Panthers. Dittos with Tom Flores after he left the Raiders and went to the Seahawks.
I think the reason fans look at coaches who have won Super Bowls is because we know the names. We don't know who's going to be the next great coach, we just know who was the last great coach.

#9 iMario

iMario

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

If the 'boys don't make playoffs, maybe new coach. Enough said.

ApkgJxxCIAEfqJn.jpgBorn and raised texan, forever a cowboy fan. :D

#10 Big_D

Big_D

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,020 posts
  • LocationLodi, New Jersey

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Isn't Garrett supposed to be a true OC? That's supposedly what got him the head coaching job to begin with. He can't manage a game and the philosophy quite frankly sucks. Lets ride that out. There's better coaches, and those guys who won a Super Bowl are night and day above what the team is fielding these days. It's funny when people rather stick with Garrett, yet ask for an OC?? Just doesn't make sense when this is his team, his scheme.. so someone new is supposed to come in under his tutelage and make a change for the better?? I just don't see how that's going to happen? Cowher or Gruden atleast demand the respect and accountability the Cowboys sorely lack. I'll take that any day over the mess they've become in the past 6 years.

$%28KGrHqN,%21pcE7Bcvmh6+BPDhOFn3%29%21~

#11 Big_D

Big_D

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,020 posts
  • LocationLodi, New Jersey

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

If you owned a team, lets say someone like the Cardinals. Would Garrett even be on your list of possible head coaches? I'm just not seeing it.

$%28KGrHqN,%21pcE7Bcvmh6+BPDhOFn3%29%21~

#12 BorderlineCrazy

BorderlineCrazy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

I am failing to see the enameration with firing Jason Garrett and hiring a coach that has already won a Super Bowl. Many coaches have tried to recapture their magic with another team (even our own beloved Jimmy Johnson) but has any coach led two different teams to Super Bowl Titles? I can't think of any. Since Johnson left, our coaching situation has been a carrousel. Romo is on his third head coach, and I think his fourth offinsive coordinator. The teams in the hunt every year are one's committed to their football philopsophy and provide stability. The head coach talk reaks of another Jones attempt to ignore the roster problems in the trenches and try to sign a big name to appease the base and sell merchandise. (I know a coaches name is not on a Jersey, but the excitement over a big name would increase player Jersey sales.) Garrett has not been perfect by any means, but I think he is a good head coach. Instead of replacing him, giving him the help of a true offensive coordinator so he can concentrate on one set of responsibilities instead of two would help more than starting over with a whole new locker room philosophy.

While is agreeable that a HC with SB rings from 1 team hasnt done it with another, there are a lot of HCs that never even get close. The thing is, the chances of a big time SB winning coach, such as Sean Payton, is that he has a better chance of winning 1 than a young up and coming coach solely on the fact that we all know he can do it. We dont know JG can win a SB with Dallas or any other team. Payton has shown that he knows how to build a team from the ground up as he did in NO. Now, if were tallking about coaches like Gruden, or Holmgreen, i honestly dont think theyre all that great of coaches. Gruden left Oakland and went to TB and won a SB in his 1st year i think. He didnt build that team. He managed the clock well, but he didnt build that Bucs team. He walked in on an already built team. Sometimes guys are better at getting the most out of their players than they are at actually makign great picks. Billecheck is 1 of the few, if not only coaches that i honestly think could go to another team and win a SB, but Payton would put Dallas in a better position to win games with better clock management than JG. However, JG could do it, and i am actualy a JG supporter.

THIS MAN WILL KILL IT THIS YEAR!!

Eagles-Wilcox-stop-5.jpg

#13 daboyzruleperiod

daboyzruleperiod

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,443 posts
  • LocationDillards

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

Post of theeeee day! True, no HC won SB's with 2 different teams, BUT 5 have led 2 different teams to the SB. On that note, should we still pick up Andy Reid's look-a-like....Holmgren?! :lol:
Don Shula, Colts & Miami
Bill Parcells, Giants & Patriots
Dick Vermeil, Eagles & Rams
Dan Reeves, Broncos & Falcons

Mike Holmgren, Packers & Seahawks

#14 greggtxsports

greggtxsports

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,066 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

We won't know until Jason & Tony are seperated which one was helping or hindering the other. We do know that Tony had some of the same issues when Jason wasn't here in 2006 but that's not enought to have a proper anaylsis.

One thing we do know is since Jason & Tony have been together our offense has been top ten in most categories(until this year) carrying this team with an aging, then injured now makeshift OL, no star RB or WR until Dez & Murray came onto the scene with FA issues with other recievers. The only constant for 6+ years has been Romo & Witten.

I'd say Garrett has maximised to some extent but then I don't see us as talented and see some issues with Romo as well.

The big divide it appears to me is in with fans who feel Jason is holding Romo back. I imagine there are more Cowboy fans who support and like Romo more than they do Jason.

Jason+Garrett+Dallas+Cowboys+v+San+Diego

AKA diehardblues.

#15 3:30 Left NOTHINGNADAZILCH

3:30 Left NOTHINGNADAZILCH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

You guys that want JG run out of town arent taking the organizational structure into consideration. If you agree that the last 2-3 drafts have been an improvement over what Jerry Jones NORMALLY does (YOU HAVE NO REASON NOT TO) you have to and I mean have to leave JG be.

Sherman Williams
Kavika Pittman
David Lafluer
Greg Ellis (should have been Moss)
Ebenezer Ekuban
Dwayne Goodrich
Quincy Carter
Felix Jones
Jason Williams

These are the first picks of the draft Jerry made that didnt amount to anything at all. Except for maybe Ellis. Do you REALLY want to go back to this type of incompetence? Do you remember these players got us no better than 5-11 in multiple seasons. We're 7-6 now with a chance.

Posted Image

#16 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

My memory could be fuzzy but didn't Vince Lombardi coach the Redskins and do pretty poorly there?

Ditka at New Orleans?

For the most part you're right, but there have been a couple of duds.

Let's be honest, Miami under Jimmy did no better than they did under Shula. They made the playoffs, I think he made the divisional round once but two years in a row they got absolutely waxed by significant margins.

1starmakerD

Professional Starter

• default_large.png
  • Banned
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

I have one thing to say, put him on the field and see what happens. There is no upside to this deal. 

POSTED JULY 3 2014 by 1 starmakerD,  referring to the Rolando McClain acquisition. :lol:

#17 America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,872 posts
  • LocationSouthern Tip of Texas

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

My memory could be fuzzy but didn't Vince Lombardi coach the Redskins and do pretty poorly there?

Ditka at New Orleans?

For the most part you're right, but there have been a couple of duds.

Let's be honest, Miami under Jimmy did no better than they did under Shula. They made the playoffs, I think he made the divisional round once but two years in a row they got absolutely waxed by significant margins.

CF927, please check your PMs, bro.

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

498f9285-1bef-4906-8b68-7e8c1e23e63d_zps

#18 gp_cowpolk

gp_cowpolk

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,516 posts
  • LocationPadded Bacon Cell

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:17 AM

Garrett will win 3 in Dallas

#19 T.J.

T.J.

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,414 posts
  • LocationRocky Mountains

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

no thanks, we need a BIG CHANGE in dallas Garrett is not a good head coach and his rings were won being a backup qb. he is a backup hc as well.

#20 pong12211

pong12211

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • LocationPA.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

This is one of the major problems with Dallas.. We get a coach that struggles and everybody wants a new head coach.. Teams take time to come together.. Some longer than others.. Look at some of the teams that won superbowls throughout history.. They had headcoaches that had great seasons and not so great season... I mean yeah there are coaches that come in and go right to the top but that's few and far between.. I say we have to sooner or later stick with a guy for more than 3 or four years... Coaches that stick around build a chemistry with players and build a system.. With the NFL being as competetive as it is those systems and chemistry don't come easy.. As always Go Cowboys......